Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WD Caviar Green Slow Boot Problems

Beans

Re: WD Caviar Green Slow Boot Problems

S.M.A.R.T. has been a lifesaver for me. It has helped me catch corruptions very early and avoid any catastrophes. Google published a study a few years ago claiming S.M.A.R.T. isn't a great predictor of imminent hard drive failure, but it sure seems to improve your odds of catching a problem early. I check it religiously on my hard drives.

I hope your other green drive is OK and boots up at proper speed!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Oh, and I wouldn't recommend trying to install an OS on a Green drive myself - you can but even if you fix whatever performance conflict you now seem to have, at 5900 RPM you're not going to get good performance.
    I have two green drives and never had one issue with them, one has both win7 and Ubuntu on it and it works just fine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    I have two green drives and never had one issue with them, one has both win7 and Ubuntu on it and it works just fine
    Right, I have five WD green drives and only one of them has had any problems - and that was probably caused by my crappy power supply. Otherwise, all of them have worked beautifully for me in Ubuntu.

But I don't use them for OS drives, and I don't recommend a green drive for an OS drive just because of the reduced performance vs. a 7200RPM drive. But you can certainly use a green drive for an OS. The most important thing is to make sure the partitions are aligned properly - should be automatic starting with Ubuntu 11.04 I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12