Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by dancat View Post
    Sure, it is not my work, i have just take it from the internet and adapted it.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Monitor Toggle
    # The following script toggles between the internal monitor and an external monitor.
    #
    # Version 1.3
    # Export Xauthority and display
    USERID="$(cat /var/run/ConsoleKit/database | grep -B 6 is_active=true | grep uid= | cut -f 2 -d '=')"
    USER="$(grep $USERID /etc/passwd | cut -f 1 -d ':')"
    # USER="$(who | grep :0\) | cut -f 1 -d ' ')"
    export XAUTHORITY=/home/$USER/.Xauthority
    export DISPLAY=:0
    ########### Settings ###########
    # Use 'xrandr' to find these
    DP="DP1"
    VGA="VGA1"
    HDMI="HDMI1"
    INTERNAL_DISPLAY="eDP1"
    # Check /sys/class/drm for the exact location
    DP_STATUS="$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/status)"
    VGA_STATUS="$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-VGA-1/status)"
    HDMI_STATUS="$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status)"
    # Backlight settings
    BACKLIGHT_BATTERY=15
    BACKLIGHT_AC=50
    # Do no change!
    EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=""
    # Check to see if the external display is connected
    if [ "${DP_STATUS}" = connected ]; then
     EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=$DP
    fi
    if [ "${VGA_STATUS}" = connected ]; then
     EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=$VGA
    fi
    if [ "${HDMI_STATUS}" = connected ]; then
     EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=$HDMI
    fi
    # The external display is connected
    if [ "$EXTERNAL_DISPLAY" != "" ]; then
    # Set the display settings
      xrandr --output $INTERNAL_DISPLAY --off        # Turn off internal display
      xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY --auto     # Turn on external display
    # Set the DPI 
    # External monitor definitions:
    # physical screen size from xrandr (xorg detection isn't right)
      em_ds_h=$(xrandr | grep $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 3 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
      em_ds_v=$(xrandr | grep $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 1 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
      em_ds="$em_ds_h"x"$em_ds_v"

xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY --fbmm $em_ds
    # The external display is not connected
    else
    # Restore internal display
      if [ "$EXTERNAL_DISPLAY" != "" ]; then
        xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY --off        # Turn off internal display
      fi
      xrandr --output $INTERNAL_DISPLAY --auto
    # Set the DPI
    # Internal Monitor definition
      im_ds_h=$(xrandr | grep $INTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 3 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
    im_ds_v=$(xrandr | grep $INTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 1 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
      im_ds="$im_ds_h"x"$im_ds_v"
      xrandr --output $INTERNAL_DISPLAY --fbmm $im_ds
    fi
    exit 0
    If you want this to be executed every time when you plug in or out HDMI you will have to create a rule for udev (in /etc/udev/rules) that looks like this:

Code:
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-hdmi.rules 
    SUBSYSTEM=="drm", ACTION=="change", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/screendpi"
    You need of course to change the script path to wherever you created the script.
    Thanks I will try it out

Beans

Hi Peter, all,

Thank you for your advices. I have few questions though:

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    I am currently running ubuntu entirely from my SSD.
    With a /home on the HDD?

You might want to read up on how UEFI works (just as I had to do
    Yes , I have begun:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI

what you need to do (this will make your windows installation unbootable, but you did not seem to care about that).
    So you don't have any more the option to boot windows, or you used another method to be able to boot windows?

Using gparted (from the livecd) create the following on your ssd:
    A new GPT partition table containing the following (in this order)
    a 200mb fat32 partition with the 'boot' flag (and only that flag) set
    a ext4 partition for your root filesystem
    a 8gb swap partition (twice the size of your ram)
    I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to have the swap on the SSD. I didn't find out why but I suppose it will stress the SSD a lot. What do you think? On the other hand many linuxes are installed on SSD and I never heard about any issue. Or is that this particular soldered-on SSD which wouldn't be good for a swap?

The mount the 200mb partition on your HDD not your ssd, and copy everything in that (one folder called EFI containing subfolders) to the 200mb partition on your SSD. You have now moved EFI's support files (what would classicly reside in your master boot record on MBR systems, but this might get a bit too technical) to your SSD.
    Here I got lost. To which point should I mount the SSD 200mb partition? Simply /dev/sda? And what is the "evertyhing" you mention about?

Ludo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LudoTW View Post
    With a /home on the HDD?
    That is my plan in the future, but currently the HDD is occupied with windows (which still boots by selecting it from the UEFI 'bios' bootmenu)

I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to have the swap on the SSD. I didn't find out why but I suppose it will stress the SSD a lot. What do you think? On the other hand many linuxes are installed on SSD and I never heard about any issue. Or is that this particular soldered-on SSD which wouldn't be good for a swap?
    Good point indeed, although the device has 4gb of ram so shouldn't have to do too much swapping, I am not sure what the expected lifespan of the SDD is but if it breaks within your waranty you can't replace it, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to be careful with it I might move swap to the HDD when I set up my home partition.

Here I got lost. To which point should I mount the SSD 200mb partition? Simply /dev/sda? And what is the "evertyhing" you mention about?
    I simply made two mountpoints in my home directory called 'a' and 'b', something more descriptive like 'HDD-EFI' and 'SDD-EFI' might be a bit more helpful though. However when you have the factory default
    efi partition on the HDD ubuntu should properly install to that, automaticly. This did not work in my case as I forgot to boot in UEFI mode, so it might in your case.

Edit: Note that I am doing all this while running the livecd on your installed system the efi partition which ubuntu booted from is automaticly mounted at /boot/efi, this might also happen on the livecd, but it can't do any harm to mount something twice

Edit 2: About the home partition: a home partition on such a small SDD is useless of course, but currently I am first trying to focus on gettin a stable system running
    Last edited by peter rus; July 14th, 2012 at 07:34 AM.

Beans

I have no network device (no wireless no BT) at all after updating to kernel 3.4.4 following these instructions:

how to install 3.4.4 in ubuntu 12.04
    Why is it so?
    Or should I actually compile the kernel as mentioned at the bottom of this page?

Peter, Thanks for all these good pieces of information.

In the meantime I have reinstalled windows (using backups i had made) on the HDD, and ubuntu 12.04 on the SSD with swap there as you did. So may change that too someday

Beans

Hi guys,
    As i said, i ordered that ultrabook and just got is yesterday
    I'm here, but actually i never run ubuntu... but i'am on this forum because sometimes i get really useful informa tion because of your big users database.
    I'm more a Fedora user, and actually, everytihng (expect keyboard backlight) work fine out of the box.

I installed Fedora on the 32GB SSD, i only created a 20GB for /, no swap(because 4GB of RAM is too big for my usage, and SSD disk dont like too much R/W) and a 12GB for my home
    I have to say, blacklight != brightness !!

For the wifi you will need : iwlwifi last firmware
    source: http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+ux32v

I comiled and used bbswitch to disable the nvidia discret card, and all is ok

If you got other thing not working on your ubuntu, tell me, i will investigate why that's working for me !
    cheers !
    Last edited by 9rift; July 14th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Beans

Had everything (except for display backlight keys) working on Ubuntu Precise with the 3.5 kernel from the xorg-edgers repo.
    Now I've switched to Arch (kernel 3.4.4-3), and none of the keys are working.
    According to the wiki page they should, weirdly. I'm wary of upgrading my kernel because of possible incompatibilities with the modules, dunno what to do now.
    (No, I won't install Ubuntu again. I don't really like it. It was just the only thing that worked in the beginning)

Beans

I have currently installed the latest development version of quantal. With the asus-wmi patch all functionbuttons work (except brightness of course). Wifitoggling might give a kernal panic.

Bumblebee to turn off the discrete GPU, battery life is still far from optimal.

VGA Output works as expected, HDMI not however, I am using nvidia-current

Edit Vga does not work after all, might have to with the fact that I am not using nouveau, will test now.

Edit2: @Screemo, palm detection is indeed not working, quite a must if you ask me

Edit 3: In case people have no files in /sys/class/drm/ (or only a 'version' file), you are probably using nouveau, you will need the nvidia drivers. On ubuntu 12.04 + xorg-edgers/x-swat + mainline quantal 3.5 rc6/7, these do not seem to work on my UX32VD
    Last edited by peter rus; July 15th, 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Thanks I will try it out
    My /sys/class/drm/ folder only contains 'version'. Does this have to do with the fact that I am not using nouveau?. Also nvidia-settings reports that I am not using nvidia drivers. the nvidia module is loaded however when I look at lsmod

Edit: Warning: I see people (including myself) upgrading to 'mainline' kernels, these are NOT the same as the kernels included in the ubuntu distributions, if you want a quantal kernel, you should probably get it from the quantal repository. Mainline kernels are unmodified kernels, so no ubuntu patches (which you might just need to use nvidia drivers for example) . This might just be the cause for a lot of my troubles. I will report later.
    Last edited by peter rus; July 15th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by liveag View Post
    Had everything (except for display backlight keys) working on Ubuntu Precise with the 3.5 kernel from the xorg-edgers repo.
    Now I've switched to Arch (kernel 3.4.4-3), and none of the keys are working.
    According to the wiki page they should, weirdly. I'm wary of upgrading my kernel because of possible incompatibilities with the modules, dunno what to do now.
    (No, I won't install Ubuntu again. I don't really like it. It was just the only thing that worked in the beginning)
    I am afraid you are now in the hands of the Arch forum (which is not a bad thing perse)

Beans

Installing the current quantal development build + asus-wmi patch + bumblebee get the following working:

* VGA
    * all functionbuttons F1-F12 function buttons except F5 and F6
    * suspend and resume
    * brightness changing
    * USB Ethernet adapter

The following does not work:

* Actually using the discrete GPU for 3D rendering (No-one has been able to do that yet, it seems)
    * HDMI (cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status keeps reporting 'disconnecting')
    * Changing brightness through F5 and F6
    * Wifi statusled (it often gives the opposite status), but it seems controllable through the drivers, so thats a good start.
    * Changing touchpad sensitivy, Acceleration does work though

Taking into account that bumblebee should turns off the nvidia card the system consumes around 16Watts at maximum brightness. Will try to tune this further with instructions on the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime)

Edit: After enabling ALPM (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagementALPM) and adding the following to the kernel parameters: pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 the system pulls only 10-11 Watts. A fair improvement. I did not use 'i915.semaphores=1' because this gave me a nice kernel panic at every boot.

A description of this parameter:

Semaphores are not enabled by default on all generation of graphics cards. Enablement of semaphores solves several stability issues on Ivy Bridge graphics cards, such as GPU hangs, and improved stability and performance on Sandy Bridge generation of graphics cards. The drawbacks are occasional stability issues on some systems with VTd enabled. Semaphores can be enabled manualy via the i915.semaphores=1 kernel parameter.
    All of this was tested at 100% brightness with both bluetooth and wifi radio on

Seems like something desirable! (source: intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q4.html)

Some powertop tunables:

http://i.imgur.com/CXzTu.png

Edit 2:I disabled the NMI watchdog with nmi_watchdog=0 as per powertop's suggestion. Any thoughts on how to permanently accomplish the other suggestions powertop gives?

Edit 3: When plugging in a HDMI cable i get the following in syslog:

Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736042] [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 155
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736050] Raw EDID:
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736054] 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 4c 2d d2 07 38 34 30 30
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736059] 24 15 01 03 80 30 1b 78 2a 90 c1 a2 59 55 9c 27
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736062] 0e 50 54 bf ef 80 71 4f 81 00 81 40 81 80 95 00
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736065] 95 0f a9 40 b3 00 02 3a 80 18 71 38 2d 40 58 2c
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736068] ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 01 1d 00 72 51 d0 1e 20
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736071] 6e 28 55 00 dd 0c 11 00 00 1e 00 00 00 fd 00 32
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736073] 4b 1f 51 11 00 0a 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 fc
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736076] 00 53 4d 53 32 32 41 33 35 30 48 0a 20 20 01 e1
    Jul 16 03:59:26 host kernel: [ 1739.736085] i915 0000:00:02.0: HDMI-A-1: EDID block 0 invalid.
    This might be a bug, but as I am running alpha software, would there possibly be any place to report this?

I understand something goes wrong with the handshake between my monitor and the graphics card, might try this on another monitor.

If there are any developers in need of testing, please contact me
    Last edited by peter rus; July 17th, 2012 at 11:58 PM.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast