Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Essential Repartition Too Tricky for this Newb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Essential Repartition Too Tricky for this Newb

Could you post a link to the instructions you're using to do this? Sorry if you have already ...

Beans

The only one I'm trying to follow is this for backing up my files; however, until I find a way to control where it saves the backup file, it's kinda useless (for a little bit more info, see this post).

Beans

Btw, I'm fine with following any method of backing up my files anyone might suggest, so long as it

• can save files from multiple partitions
    • doesn't involve installing any programs (not enough disk space)
    • allows the backup file to be saved on an external storage device.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why don't you boot from a LiveCD and drag and drop the files to the external drive? Then you won't need to install software ...

Beans

I suppose I can try that. Not sure there'll be enough room on the drive without some sorta compression ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you right click a folder you should get the option to 'Compress'.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by dialectical1 View Post
    I suppose I can try that. Not sure there'll be enough room on the drive without some sorta compression ...
    Do you know how to boot from the usb? Is there a boot key ID that flashes by when bio opens? It could be f2, f12, esc, del, almost anything. You need to press that key as soon as it shows on the BIO screen so it will go to a screen that lets you choose USB. Or if there's no boot key, hit the setup key and place boot flash, usb or whatever that disc is called in your system. Have it moved to the first boot.

When it boots, and asks if you want to install or TRY, choose TRY. You will not be installing it.

When you get to the desktop you can find your files and drag them to the storage disc. Of course the storage must be already plugged in to show. Drag and drop everything.

When you get all off, you can continue on with what you need to do. You can use gparted from the USB and do what you needed with the hdd.

Don't install anything.
    Last edited by critin; October 8th, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post

When you get to the desktop you can find your files and drag them to the storage disc. Of course the storage must be already plugged in to show. Drag and drop everything
    OP has a lot of stuff so wanting to compress, thus, as mentioned, perhaps put into a backup folder then right-click>Compress.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    OP has a lot of stuff so wanting to compress, thus, as mentioned, perhaps put into a backup folder then right-click>Compress.
    Thank you. I'm afraid I misunderstood and thought he still meant the current drive was too full to 'install' anything else in order to compress when he answered with:

I see now that he meant the external drive lacked space, though he didn't specify that. I meant he didn't have to install anything on the current drive to be able to compress his folders. He could compress and move. I was agreeing with your posts about using live cd & compressing though I left the word 'compress' out. I guess I assumed he would understand that since your posts were first. Shouldn't ever assume.

Moving single folders into a separate folder to compress, as you suggest here now, makes sense. I'm not sure how large a compressed folder can be in order to move easily. I wouldn't want many gib in one folder myself. But I'm all about keeping it 'easy' to move & restore, and sometimes that's just not possible.

I didn't mean to confuse the issue. Point taken, thanks.
    Last edited by critin; October 9th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Do you know how to boot from the usb? Is there a boot key ID that flashes by when bio opens? It could be f2, f12, esc, del, almost anything. You need to press that key as soon as it shows on the BIO screen so it will go to a screen that lets you choose USB. Or if there's no boot key, hit the setup key and place boot flash, usb or whatever that disc is called in your system. Have it moved to the first boot.

When it boots, and asks if you want to install or TRY, choose TRY. You will not be installing it.

When you get to the desktop you can find your files and drag them to the storage disc. Of course the storage must be already plugged in to show. Drag and drop everything.

When you get all off, you can continue on with what you need to do. You can use gparted from the USB and do what you needed with the hdd.

Don't install anything.
    When I go to that screen, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not the external drive or a usb (both with the iso) are plugged in.

As for the backup: The drive didn't seem to want to let me compress the files into one file, but thankfully they seem to fit on it anyhow. (But these are just personal files; not sure if it's worth also trying to save a copy of my system.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123