Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Hey Bobsongs!
    Just checking up on you and this cool tutorial!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi Bob.

I bring you tidings of joy and good news as I have found something for you to work on in what remains of your spare time. I have installed Hardy-beta on my Desktop (not my main machine so it can crash if need be) and just tried to follow your tutorial for Hardy when I come across a small but significant problem. Debpartial does not exist in the Hardy repositories so I cannot get any further than typing step one into my terminal. However Debpartial-mirror does exist and I am wondering if that is the Hardy equivalent.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by glenn45 View Post
    Hey Bobsongs!
    Just checking up on you and this cool tutorial!
    Excellent, dood! I'm glad you dropped by. Nice to sip coffee with ya!

I keep grooming the tutorial. My desire is to have it show up in the "Tutorial of the Week" section. While I carry no screenshots, I'm trying to comply with the demands of that department. Hopefully it will appear there.

I'm doing well. And it's good to see you again. Keep dropping by and, for heaven's sake: give me any criticism you can find for the tutorial. For example -- is there a spot where a print-screen would improve it? That would help.

I'm hoping all is well with you too.

Keep in touch.
    Last edited by BobSongs; March 25th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    Hi Bob.

I bring you tidings of joy and good news as I have found something for you to work on in what remains of your spare time. I have installed Hardy-beta on my Desktop (not my main machine so it can crash if need be) and just tried to follow your tutorial for Hardy when I come across a small but significant problem. Debpartial does not exist in the Hardy repositories so I cannot get any further than typing step one into my terminal. However Debpartial-mirror does exist and I am wondering if that is the Hardy equivalent.
    A big thank-you to you for your kind greetings and for pointing out Hardy's current failings. I know Hardy Heron has just moved over to Beta from Alpha. I think some of the repositories will be a bit lacking until everything is tweaked just right.

I will, however, make a note of it in the heading of the tutorial. I recall there being a problem with Gutsy when it was first released. debmirror was available but it did precious little for Gutsy users. The bug was found and squashed by the Debian people. It eventually trickled over to Ubuntu's repositories.

The lack of debmirror makes me wonder if they're discontinuing its use. That tip will spur me into doing some in-depth research. More news to follow.

[-=EDIT=-] k3lt01: Here's an idea. But I must preface it with the risk levels. I don't know what this may do to your system: it could install flawlessly or destroy everything right to point where it messes up your sock drawer. But it may install on your system. This Link points to Gutsy's debmirror file. Use at your own system's risk. But if you choose to test it and it works, let me know: I'll post it on the main page.
    Last edited by BobSongs; March 25th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.

Beans

Wat if you install a virtuel 7.10 ubuntu in vmware server and use debmirror inside it.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by pietjanjaap View Post
    Wat if you install a virtuel 7.10 ubuntu in vmware server and use debmirror inside it.
    Sorry I didn't answer sooner. This is not a high priority thread. So I only visit every couple days.

Uhm: That would work. But your virtual drive should have a large amount of space available for the Hardy repositories and the creation of each DVD ISO. You can get away with creating 1 DVD ISO, burning it, deleting it and creating the next in line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just a question... I plan to run the debmirror command weekly from crontab. Do I also need to run the dpkg-scanpackages command each week? I am keeping the repo in a mounted directory on my lan (actually putting all the repos that I have machines running), and just want to make sure that everything will update properly.

And thanks for all your hard work. I like keeping as much as possible on my home network, and playing with all kinds of stuff, so this was fun...
    Ubuntu User #19733/Linux User #449481

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Zack McCool View Post
    Just a question... I plan to run the debmirror command weekly from crontab. Do I also need to run the dpkg-scanpackages command each week? I am keeping the repo in a mounted directory on my lan (actually putting all the repos that I have machines running), and just want to make sure that everything will update properly.

And thanks for all your hard work. I like keeping as much as possible on my home network, and playing with all kinds of stuff, so this was fun...
    It may well be a good idea to add teh dpkg-scanpackages in the command, after each update. Keeping the repos mounted is an excellent idea. So, yes: I would strongly suggest that secondary process be maintained.

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Thanks to firefox deciding to freeze, I lost my entire re-edit of this post to correct it, so I'm going to be very brief in this re-post re-edit:

If you're unable to follow the brilliant mirroring and backup to DVD option word for word as BobSongs has so kindly written, here is an alternative:

[Warning: Use this information at your own risk, if you mess up your system or anything bad happens, I take no blame. Understand what you are doing before you do it. Use this method only if you cannot use BobSongs' excellent instructions. Please do not post about this post in this thread. Has this post helped you? I am glad.]

First, bookmark this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42862

Download the packages it mentions within, and download the packages mentioned in BobSongs' first post in this thread, then start with Main:

Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=mirror.you.want --root=ubuntu/ --method=http --progress --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports, --section=main --arch=i386 ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg --timeout=999
    Replace mirror.you.want in the code above with the mirror you wish to use. I suggest not using ubuntu.com to mirror, but instead a mirror closer to you in your country. Please refer to the Launchpad Mirrors of Ubuntu page for a list of mirrors and an update status: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

When you've finished with the instructions below, and you've mirrored Main, moved the debs, deleted the ~/UbuntuRepos directory following the moving of the deb files to another folder you've created, you may start again with another repo and change --section=main to --section=restricted to mirror restricted, and follow the instructions in this post again, rinse and repeat.

After Main is downloaded, we create a folder in ~/ to move the downloaded deb files to, and run this command:

Code:
    find /start/here -name \*.deb -exec mv {} /to/there/ \;
    Replace /start/here with ~/UbuntuRepos and /to/there with the empty folder you've created. This will MOVE all of the deb files you've mirrored from Main into your new folder. Now you will look at the size of the new folder with the debs. Delete ~/UbuntuRepos once you've verified the debs were moved. It won't all fit on one 4.xGB DVD, so create a second folder and go into the first with Nautilus and switch to List view. Highlight the files with the shift key held down to advance more and more until you have enough to fit on one DVD. Now paste these into the other folder you created. Now compare the sizes of each folder, each should be able to fit on a DVD.

Now open the link I posted above and continue with creating an autorepo file for each folder of debs you have, and run the autorepo file in each, which will generate a package list for each.

Once this is done for each, you may burn each to a separate DVD and add them the same way as BobSongs mentioned, with apt-cdrom add. With each DVD burned, you may delete the new folders you originally created to move the mirrored Main debs to.

Start again with another repo and do one each time until you have all of them individually mirrored, manually split up between folders, autorepo ran in each one, and burned. Do not burn the DVD without first running autorepo and checking each folder for package lists, you need these on the DVD so they will add properly with apt-cdrom add later.

Done!

With this method, I have not tried downloading ALL of the repos at once and splitting them into several DVDs, when I cannot follow BobSongs' method and use debpartial to complete the process, and I have to use the method here I've described in this post, I download one repo at a time. It's a longer process, but it works.

Optional: It may be simpler for some to use aptoncd (available in the repos) after you have mirrored an area and moved the debs to one folder, and use aptoncd to generate the package list and create DVD images for you! I posted the manual cut/paste and autorepo method above, referring to another thread because when I tried aptoncd it created a DVD which was slightly above the size of a DVD and all of the burning applications refused to burn it, so I decided to do the manual splitting of deb files into individual folders and generating a package list manually with autorepo as mentioned in the linked thread.
    Last edited by jocose; May 6th, 2008 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    [-=EDIT=-] k3lt01: Here's an idea. But I must preface it with the risk levels. I don't know what this may do to your system: it could install flawlessly or destroy everything right to point where it messes up your sock drawer. But it may install on your system. This Link points to Gutsy's debmirror file. Use at your own system's risk. But if you choose to test it and it works, let me know: I'll post it on the main page.
    Sorry for not replying earlier, I have only just had enough time to play with this (I have been playing with other aspects of Ubuntu). The file you linked to is in the stable release of Hardy already (I updated my Hardy-Desktop to the stable release with a clean install). Following your excellent tutorial I still come across the same problem as before. The code is below so you can see what is happening.

Code:
    michael@michael-desktop:~$ sudo aptitude install debmirror ruby mkisofs debpartial dpkg-dev
    [sudo] password for michael: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Initializing package states... Done
    Writing extended state information... Done
    Building tag database... Done             
    Couldn't find package "debpartial". However, the following
    packages contain "debpartial" in their name:
      debpartial-mirror 
    Couldn't find package "debpartial". However, the following
    packages contain "debpartial" in their name:
      debpartial-mirror 
    The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
      build-essential g++ g++-4.2 libcompress-raw-zlib-perl 
      libcompress-zlib-perl libdigest-sha1-perl libio-compress-base-perl 
      libio-compress-zlib-perl liblockfile-simple-perl liblog-agent-perl 
      libstdc++6-4.2-dev libtimedate-perl patch 
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      build-essential debmirror dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.2 libcompress-raw-zlib-perl 
      libcompress-zlib-perl libdigest-sha1-perl libio-compress-base-perl 
      libio-compress-zlib-perl liblockfile-simple-perl liblog-agent-perl 
      libstdc++6-4.2-dev libtimedate-perl patch 
    0 packages upgraded, 15 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 522kB/5186kB of archives. After unpacking 19.2MB will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
    Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main libcompress-raw-zlib-perl 2.008-1 [91.8kB]
    Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press [Enter].

Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main libio-compress-base-perl 2.008-1 [54.4kB]
    Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main libio-compress-zlib-perl 2.008-1 [135kB]
    Get:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main libcompress-zlib-perl 2.008-1 [35.7kB]
    Get:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main libdigest-sha1-perl 2.11-2 [24.7kB]  
    Get:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe liblog-agent-perl 0.307-1 [129kB]
    Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe liblockfile-simple-perl 0.2.5-7 [20.2kB]
    Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe debmirror 20070123ubuntu1 [30.5kB]
    Fetched 522kB in 49s (10.6kB/s)                                                 
    Selecting previously deselected package libstdc++6-4.2-dev.
    (Reading database ... 125264 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libstdc++6-4.2-dev (from .../libstdc++6-4.2-dev_4.2.3-2ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package g++-4.2.
    Unpacking g++-4.2 (from .../g++-4.2_4.2.3-2ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package g++.
    Unpacking g++ (from .../g++_4.2.3-1ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package libtimedate-perl.
    Unpacking libtimedate-perl (from .../libtimedate-perl_1.1600-9_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package patch.
    Unpacking patch (from .../p/patch/patch_2.5.9-4_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package dpkg-dev.
    Unpacking dpkg-dev (from .../dpkg-dev_1.14.16.6ubuntu3_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package build-essential.
    Unpacking build-essential (from .../build-essential_11.3ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package libcompress-raw-zlib-perl.
    Unpacking libcompress-raw-zlib-perl (from .../libcompress-raw-zlib-perl_2.008-1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package libio-compress-base-perl.
    Unpacking libio-compress-base-perl (from .../libio-compress-base-perl_2.008-1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package libio-compress-zlib-perl.
    Unpacking libio-compress-zlib-perl (from .../libio-compress-zlib-perl_2.008-1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package libcompress-zlib-perl.
    Unpacking libcompress-zlib-perl (from .../libcompress-zlib-perl_2.008-1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package libdigest-sha1-perl.
    Unpacking libdigest-sha1-perl (from .../libdigest-sha1-perl_2.11-2_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package liblog-agent-perl.
    Unpacking liblog-agent-perl (from .../liblog-agent-perl_0.307-1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package liblockfile-simple-perl.
    Unpacking liblockfile-simple-perl (from .../liblockfile-simple-perl_0.2.5-7_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package debmirror.
    Unpacking debmirror (from .../debmirror_20070123ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
    Setting up libtimedate-perl (1.1600-9) ...
    Setting up patch (2.5.9-4) ...
    Setting up dpkg-dev (1.14.16.6ubuntu3) ...
    Setting up libcompress-raw-zlib-perl (2.008-1) ...
    Setting up libio-compress-base-perl (2.008-1) ...
    Setting up libio-compress-zlib-perl (2.008-1) ...
    Setting up libcompress-zlib-perl (2.008-1) ...
    Setting up libdigest-sha1-perl (2.11-2) ...
    Setting up liblog-agent-perl (0.307-1) ...
    Setting up liblockfile-simple-perl (0.2.5-7) ...
    Setting up debmirror (20070123ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up libstdc++6-4.2-dev (4.2.3-2ubuntu7) ...
    Setting up g++-4.2 (4.2.3-2ubuntu7) ...
    Setting up g++ (4:4.2.3-1ubuntu3) ...

Setting up build-essential (11.3ubuntu1) ...
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading extended state information       
    michael@michael-desktop:~$ cp /usr/share/doc/debpartial/examples/debcopy.gz ~
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/doc/debpartial/examples/debcopy.gz': No such file or directory
    michael@michael-desktop:~$ gunzip ~/debcopy.gz
    gzip: /home/michael/debcopy.gz: No such file or directory
    Now because debpartial doesn't exist and it suggested debpartial-mirror I installed that and this is what occured
    Code:
     michael@michael-desktop:~$ sudo aptitude install debpartial-mirrorReading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
      python-cdd python-pycurl 
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      debpartial-mirror python-cdd python-pycurl 
    0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 118kB of archives. After unpacking 668kB will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
    Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main python-pycurl 7.16.4-1 [82.8kB]
    Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe python-cdd 0.0.7 [11.0kB]        
    Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe debpartial-mirror 0.2.95 [24.1kB]
    Fetched 118kB in 11s (10.2kB/s)                                                 
    Selecting previously deselected package python-pycurl.
    (Reading database ... 126301 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking python-pycurl (from .../python-pycurl_7.16.4-1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package python-cdd.
    Unpacking python-cdd (from .../python-cdd_0.0.7_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package debpartial-mirror.
    Unpacking debpartial-mirror (from .../debpartial-mirror_0.2.95_all.deb) ...
    Setting up python-pycurl (7.16.4-1) ...

Setting up python-cdd (0.0.7) ...

Setting up debpartial-mirror (0.2.95) ...

Building dependency tree       
    I then
    Code:
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/doc/debpartial/examples/debcopy.gz': No such file or directory
    gzip: /home/michael/debcopy.gz: No such file or directory
    michael@michael-desktop:~$
    I am unable to go any further without debpartial which by what I am being told by the code coming back to me is debparital does not exist in Hardy yet.

I am going to have a surf around and see if I can locate it somehow. I apologise for the size of this post, I thought posting the code would help in the analysis of the issue.

EDIT: ok I have search through the Repo listings and there is NO debpartial in Hardy. I then went to Gutsy's listing, located Gutsy's debpartial http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/all...rtial/download downloaded it, installed it and everything seems ok.
    Code:
    michael@michael-desktop:~$
    Last edited by k3lt01; May 7th, 2008 at 12:45 PM.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast