Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Beans

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Hi,

Once again despite my many claims that I will no longer write MPlayer guides for Ubuntu a 'new improved' version has landed . Aimed specifically at Lucid Lynx the plan is that it will track the most recent release version of Ubuntu rather than remain locked at a single Ubuntu version. Feel free to use and comment:

Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1542240

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Hi andrew.46
    I still update mplayer regularly using SVN with this guide.
    But I've seen a post by qyot27 explaining about git.
    Here:- http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh...postcount=1513

If I use git instead, please will you look through these commands to see if they're OK.

Code:
    git clone git://repo.or.cz/mplayer-build.git && cd mplayer-build && ./init && ./disable-mt
    make
    sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" --pkgname mplayer-nogui --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default --pkgversion "3:1.0~git-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`"
    I've got two questions.
    With my SVN version I had a command:-
    Code:
    ./configure --cc=gcc-4.3 --confdir=/etc/mplayer --disable-mencoder --disable-x264
    Do you recommend that I still use that command, or can I modify it or drop it altogether?

The checkinstall command. Can I tidy it up and is this the correct package version?:-
    Code:
    --pkgversion "3:1.0~git-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`"
    Last edited by ron999; February 17th, 2011 at 04:24 AM.

Beans

Hi Ron,

My involvement in these Forums is winding down somewhat I am afraid so I will only tracking this and other guides rarely . As for that git repository, this belongs to Uoti Urpala who maintains a fork of MPlayer and I am afraid that I have never really tried his work, except of course for all of his work that is already included in MPlayer . As for the syntax, the warning remains concerning the gcc version so I would tend to leave this in place, the checkinstall naming convention is simply to avoid the repository MPlayer overwriting your compiled version.

All the very best,

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    the checkinstall naming convention is simply to avoid the repository MPlayer overwriting your compiled version.
    Hi Andrew
    I don't know what the naming convention is for this git version of mplayer.
    This was just a guess:- --pkgversion "3:1.0~git-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`"

Should I ask someone else about the version number?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    I don't know what the naming convention is for this git version of mplayer.
    This was just a guess:- --pkgversion "3:1.0~git-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`"
    The naming conventions I have used for the checkinstall packages of MPlayer have always had 2 purposes:

1. To have a higher version number than the repository MPlayer and thus prevent the older repository version overwriting the local, compiled copy.
    2. To give a quick idea, by looking at the package name, when the remote repository has been accessed.

The pkgversion syntax you have suggested should do just that. You can always attempt to catch to catch the git commit number if you wish to get fancy but simple is often better .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    ... You can always attempt to catch to catch the git commit number if you wish to get fancy ...
    Hi Andrew
    That's what I tried to do.

My version of mPlayer from this git is:-
    MPlayer git-cba6d60-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team

So I've used:- --pkgversion "4.4.1-git-`date +%Y%m%d`"
    to give:- mplayer-nogui_4.4.1-git-20110217-1_i386.deb

With ffmpeg we use --pkgversion="5:$(./version.sh)"
    To give:- ffmpeg_5:git-5b54d4b-1_i386.deb
    But this method doesn't seem to work for the mPlayer git.
    Last edited by ron999; February 18th, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Beans

BTW Ron if you are running a 32bit installation you would be best to pick up the new assemblage of codecs that the MPlayer developers have put together end of January 2011, they have added in a few extra codecs that were kicking around the MPlayer site. I note that Medibuntu is still using an older package...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi Andrew
    Yes, I have a 32 bit system.

Those codecs are already there in my usr/local/lib/codecs folder.
    They are all dated Sat 05 Feb 2011.
    Last edited by ron999; February 18th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233