Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu dual boot installation on HP pavilion dv7.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu dual boot installation on HP pavilion dv7.

when i resumed normal boot:

Crashed.. Well i thought ive gotten it all.
    Anyways what happond: my screen started drawing lines evrywhere in the linux colors randomly like a tv that hase the noisy screen..

when i schose the other (not the recovery one) second time.
    It started but did not save graphic stuff only the stuff i did before for example visit these forums..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay I'm seeing some issues with the graphics card.

Try this:
    Select Ubuntu, hit SHIFT key to pop menu, press 'e' on the first entry to edit:

Delete the line:
    gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode

Edit the line starting: linux /boot/vmlinuz....
    Remove: quiet splash $vt_handoff
    Add in its place: nomodeset
    So it looks like:
    Code:
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic root=UUID=22002ACB002AA62F loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro nomodeset
    Now hit Ctrl+X to boot. Report back.

Beans

The same screen apeared.
    but this time i wasnt abel to start ubuntu anymore.
    so i'm back on windows now..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by InQontroll View Post
    The same screen apeared.
    but this time i wasnt abel to start ubuntu anymore.
    so i'm back on windows now..
    I can understand it not booting, but it's not normal for it to work sometimes and sometimes not. Are you shutting down normally or doing a hard power off?

Beans

shutting down normally.
    The thing is. when i changed that file it only gives me the noisy screen.

Strange thing is.. In first boot nothings wrong.
    but as soon as i reboot in linux i get that noisy screen or i get to login but the graphics disapear.

Its up to what i chose at start. i can only run linux if i select the advanced menu and then select the first option.

but as i said it wont save any graphical stuff..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

mmm I've never encountered something like this. I'll just stand aside and let others help because it's not making a lot of sense to me (either).

Beans

ouch pff.
    hate it when things won't work out!
    Oh does it help if i say this is in my comp: quad core and radeon dual graphics?

I also found out about someone else having trouble whit a dual graphics.

Code:
    I have the A6-3400m APU (integrated 6520G, discrete 6470M) and my experience until now is:

The Ubuntu built-in "radeon" driver does NOT support "dual graphics". To get the radeon driver without dual graphics work properly, the discrete graphics card should be switched off in the BIOS (less power consumption, ...)

AMD provides a proprietary driver called "fglrx". This driver can be installed via the system settings "additional drivers" or the latest version directly downloaded from AMD. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI My experience: The Ubuntu fglrx version is much toooo old: I had a lot of problems with wine and the activated discrete graphics card because that driver recognised a wrong graphics card (7400m series instead of 64oom series). With the latest AMD driver (Catalyst 12.10): working.

The fglrx drivers for Linux/Ubuntu are provided with a graphical configuration application called Catalyst Control Center and can also be configured via command line via amdconfig. With both configuration tools it is possible to switch between the discrete und the integrated graphics engine. This is called PowerXpress. With Windows this switch can be done without reboot but X needs a restart. Therefore the powersaving feature called PowerPlay does not use PowerXpress under Linux but just other features like dynamic clock rate change, .... BUT: PowerXpress is NOT "dual graphics".

"dual graphics" means: Both graphics engine act like a single one using the CrossFireX-Technology. This is provided for Windows 7 DirectX 10+ but NOT for Windows XP or Linux! For more information compare the AMD dual graphics FAQ: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/dual-graphics/pages/dual-graphics.aspx#4

If there is any newer information about dual graphics and Linux: Please let me know!
    but since he does not use the exact simular card to mine i won't try what he did.
    Safety reasons for my machine don't want to break things xp.

Greetings InQontroll and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by InQontroll; November 15th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Beans

also read post above.

I found this usefull information,
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    But for me its in a unreadable language.
    Would someone care to explain a few steps so i could finally install the radeon driver for ubuntu and get it to work.

Its a really hard issue, not so common as most luucky people have .
    Last edited by InQontroll; November 15th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Beans

At my school (graduate network administrator) my teachers couldnt resolve the problem either..

I don't take a not possible as answer. I will succeed there should be someone who had the same problem and was able to run ubuntu smooth.

I really need help to this matter, I'm nearly there cuz i found this is a known issue. Its ofcource something to do whit my drivers for radeon dual graphics.

I have a post whit the answer posted above.
    The thing is its hard for me to understand what they mean.

English is not my native sorry for that!

Beans

Please someone?? :/
    I'm really trying anything out here!
    need help, damn if i knew a linux installation would take so mutch trouble...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast