Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone on 10.3?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anyone on 10.3?

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    I'm just going to reinstall from scratch then (wipe my home part) and see what I get. I was expecting the experience that you are all describing, which is why I asked. My problem with YaST is that Resolving Dependencies box that pops up for a second, every time I click on a package. The community repo's are very easy to add, but I could not get Guru to load for some reason. I do like the green, it's a very nice change, and the KDE4 games look great. Thanks for the replies, I'll try again.
    If you're using the Qt frontend to Yast just disable the "Automatic Dependency checking" or whatever it is called, that should get rid of the popup (never noticed it to be honest). Guru is in the process of being absorbed by Packman so in the long run it shouldn't be necessary to use them both. I don't know how far the merging is.

Apropos, it seems like the gold master leaked 2 days ago:

http://www.isohunt.com/torrents/opensuse+10.3+GM

Beans

I'm going to use Smart with 10.3. Even if YaST package manager would be the faster one I would still prefer the smart interface... with Smart it's a lot easier to know what are you doing, what packages are adding what dependencies, etc. Smart needs a little hand made configuration with repository priorities and some package locks... but after that the updates/upgrades that Smart proposes are always the ones that make sense.
    YaST has some nice features... "patterns" are usefull to install all the translations to your language for the installed packages if you need to. But his interface looks counterintuitive to me. When everything goes fine it's ok, but when there are problems... you want to use Smart.
    But if you forget the YaST package manager everything is ok, at least for a KDE user.

Beans

I am on 10.3 now, some server didn't lock the folder that it was in so i downloaded it and installed it. The only differences i can tell from 10.2 is;

1 - more confusing package management
    2 - green instead of blue
    3 - poorer fonts and icons

The package manager is different. But not better, it may be faster but the sheer lack of description and decent categories makes it fell crappy. Also i can't get any online repo's, none are listed in the software sources. One of the package mangers is the same as the one in 10.2.

Overall its not bad, the theme is practically the same as 10.2, the icons in YAST are of much lower resolution than in 10.2, fonts not as nice, green, different package manager.
    Last edited by darksong; October 3rd, 2007 at 05:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by darksong View Post
    I am on 10.3 now, some server didn't lock the folder that it was in so i downloaded it and installed it. The only differences i can tell from 10.2 is;

1 - more confusing package management
    2 - green instead of blue
    3 - poorer fonts and icons

The package manager is different. But not better, it may be faster but the sheer lack of description and decent categories makes it fell crappy. Also i can't get any online repo's, none are listed in the software sources.

Overall its not bad, the theme is practically the same as 10.2, the icons in YAST are of much lower resolution than in 10.2, fonts not as nice, green, different package manager.
    It didn't lose anything. Just use the Qt front-end of YaST.

What in the world do you want from them? Isn't Build Service enough by itself? The new gnome? New KDE? New Kernel? New X.org?New GTK YaST front-end? New SLAB Menu? Booting a lot faster than 10.2 (and than Ubuntu...)? Using the new libzyyp, which is a lot faster?

I believe they did a nice job with this release.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans

The package manager is different. But not better, it may be faster but the sheer lack of description and decent categories makes it fell crappy.
    I don't see a single difference between the interface of the YaST package manager from 10.2 and the one from 10.3. The only difference is libzypp... and for sure now it's better.

Also i can't get any online repo's
    Since they will not be available until tomorrow, with the official release, isn't a surprise.

the icons in YAST are of much lower resolution than in 10.2
    Crystal theme is still available in 10.3. But anyway... if you make a rpm -ql yast2-theme-openSUSE for the two packages you will see both are of the same resolution.

fonts not as nice
    Isn't everybody using the Microsoft ones? Because the file /etc/fonts/suse-generic-names.conf hasn't been modified a byte.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    I don't see a single difference between the interface of the YaST package manager from 10.2 and the one from 10.3..
    The GNOME version of 10.3 has a brand new GTK+ based Yast frontend which in my humble opinion is pretty crappy (at least the software management module ) for reason already outlined.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Erunno View Post
    The GNOME version of 10.3 has a brand new GTK+ based Yast frontend which in my humble opinion is pretty crappy (at least the software management module ) for reason already outlined.
    Sure. I have not tried it, but being new I expect something worse than the QT version. But darksong has not said anything about GTK+, and since it is comparing with the 10.2 version I suppose he is talking about the QT one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't had the chance to try 3 yet, but the damn package management in 2 was so impossibly slow, and the boot time was the worst, RIDICULOUSLY slow, I mean even vista roared past suse in boot time. Took suse like over 2 damn minutes to boot, ubuntu is damn near instant. Hopefully things improve in 10.3 I have always loved suse's level of polish on the gui and their great gnome implementation.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; October 4th, 2007 at 03:53 AM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Is Suse 10.3 final now officially released?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theonlyrealperson View Post
    I'm on 10.3, and there are definitely pluses and minuses.

Pluses:
    1. Yast seems a LOT faster. It's still not quick - not by a longshot - but it is much faster than the glacial 10.2.
    2. Color scheme is much better.
    3. Being able to add in repos without searching the net. Nice...
    4. ONE DISK. Very nice. Still downloads a couple of gig during the install though.

Minuses:
    1. I know it's a release candidate, but it doesn't seem as solid as 10.2. I don't know if it's 10.2 vs. 10.3 or Gnome vs. KDE though. I've crashed a couple of times, the window manager will lose my USB drives, X11 never configures my resolution correctly after every reboot, etc. I moved from Gnome 10.2 to KDE 10.3, so I don't know if it's a version or manager deal...
    2. Compiz-Fusion worked flawlessly in 10.2. Can't even get the sucker to install correctly in 10.3. Even with the 1-Click installer.
    3. Still a HUGE distro, comparatively. Need lots of / space.

I'm actually thinking of going back to 10.2 until a couple of months after 10.3 goes final. I don't know...
    Did you report the bugs?

http://en.opensuse.org/Submit_a_Bug

No use complaining if you aren't prepared to tell them what's wrong.
    Dell Inspiron 6400 - Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 @ 1.73Ghz - 1024mb DDR2 533 - 120GB HDD - 15.4" Widescreen display 1280x800 - Intel GM950 Integrated Graphics
    LinuxMint 3.0 Cassandra
    Current songs in Banshee Library = 1,908.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast