Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Beans

Re: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Because its free we should expect poor quality? Because its free we have no right to voice our opinions if they are negative? Just grin and bare it because its free?
    Exactly. Being free doesn't mean the product and company are exempt from any and all criticism. I'm really not sure why "it's free" continues to be considered a legitimate argument.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Umm, because you get it for free. No one is forcing you to use canonicals products.

Making suggestions to the developers is another thing, and I do believe that is welcomed.

It is the same if you complained you get fish instead of steak when someone is giving you a free meal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ubuntpu: the world's first open source toilet!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    My guess is on Canonical announcing manufacturing partnerships for the release of TV's with Ubuntu TV built in.

You can really see the direction they're going in with the 'Unity' of OS across PC, tablet and mobile phone (with Ubuntu for Android) and TV. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a Steam lense for Unity in development as well so a console could be on the table too.

Microsoft and Apple are doing the same thing with their products, trying to build an all-encompassing ecosystem rather than just individual products.

Whoever comes out on top the next few years are going to be very exciting in the world of consumer technology.
    Ubuntu TV is nowhere near ready yet, and only has one dedicated contributor inside Canonical. If that's what they're announcing, I don't expect it to come out anytime soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Exactly. Being free doesn't mean the product and company are exempt from any and all criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    Umm, because you get it for free. No one is forcing you to use canonicals products.
    I think both are equally valid points. Just because something is free, it still can be stupid or wrong and it's ok to utter constructive criticism so that then that aspect can be improved and the developers can learn something if the criticism is valid.

However, at the same time it's ridiculous to demand change or whine endlessly about how something is forced upon you. Nothing about Ubuntu is forced upon you, you can literally change everything you don't like or switch to another distribution completely without having wasted money on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Making suggestions to the developers is another thing, and I do believe that is welcomed.

It is the same if you complained you get fish instead of steak when someone is giving you a free meal.
    Yes. Like getting free as in beer, when we want free as in whiskey and a double at that!

So, we want quality from the first release of the software but we hate the skunk works idea because it is not open and we won't see what they are working on until it is complete and up to quality standards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    ... demand change or whine endlessly about how something is forced upon you. ...
    But this particular art form has a lot of practitioners.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It may be free, but, at least in the case of Ubuntu, we are still customers. Canonical is trying very hard to make a profit out of Ubuntu with paid support plans, Ubuntu One, the Ubuntu Music Store, and the Ubuntu Software Center. Although we dont pay anything for the initial OS, we are still customers and have a right to complain.

Other things that I dont pay anything for:
    -Facebook
    -Free checking account
    -Savings account
    -Credit card (as long as I pay off the bills every month)
    -Email service
    -Google

So I have no right to complain about these things either?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    It may be free, but, at least in the case of Ubuntu, we are still customers. Canonical is trying very hard to make a profit out of Ubuntu with paid support plans, Ubuntu One, the Ubuntu Music Store, and the Ubuntu Software Center. Although we dont pay anything for the initial OS, we are still customers and have a right to complain.

Other things that I dont pay anything for:
    -Facebook
    -Free checking account
    -Savings account
    -Credit card (as long as I pay off the bills every month)
    -Email service
    -Google

So I have no right to complain about these things either?
    Facebook - you pay by clicking on the ads.
    Free checking account - I don't know about this, since you can't get checks in my country. (probably paid by the interest rate on your loan or others loan)
    Savings account - You pay (and other pay your savings account) when the(y)/you have down payment on loans.
    Credit cards - same as above. And if you do not pay it back within a month, you get about 10% interest rate (at least, all depends on the bank)
    Email service - If you use gmail or hotmail/outlook then you pay by ads. If it is from the ISP then it is a part of the internet bill.
    Google - You pay by clicking on ads or sponsored links.

As you can see, neither of these are free. Maybe checking account, but I highly doubt it. Banks don't give you anything for free, you pay them in some way.

So you have every right to complain about these things, since they are not free.

You do not pay canonical one cent for their services. So I don't see how you can complain about something that is totally free. There are no ads either.
    Canonical would have been bankrupt if it weren't for Mark Shuttelworth (I hope I spelled that right). He is the only one that holds this company up financially.

You can't be a customer for something that is free.

Disclaimer: This is my understanding of how things work. I can be wrong, since I am only human.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You do not pay canonical one cent for their services. So I don't see how you can complain about something that is totally free. There are no ads either.
    Canonical would have been bankrupt if it weren't for Mark Shuttelworth (I hope I spelled that right). He is the only one that holds this company up financially.
    What you described for the other services that I listed is true and is what Canonical is aiming for. I mentioned Ubuntu Software Center which contains non-free programs. Ubuntu One which is a paid for service. Ubuntu Music Store which is not free. The base OS is free, but they are trying to make it profitable by selling customers services to go along with the OS. I think they are still a very long way away from achieving profitability, but they are making some money out of Ubuntu. You personally may have never given Ubuntu any money, but others have. Same with other online services. Ive never ever clicked on a facebook ad, so does that take away my right to complain if the service isnt as I expected?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast