Thread: [SOLVED] XP install after Ubuntu.

Beans

[SOLVED] XP install after Ubuntu.

Okay, so I do need XP to run a few programs that just will not work any other way. At this point I'm Ubuntu only on here so I have two options. Resize Ubuntu and install XP and then repair GRUB or back up my Ubuntu install, install XP, install Ubuntu, and finally restore Ubuntu. Which option is the most foolproof in regards to lessening the chance for operator error? I really like Ubuntu and have spent a couple of months customizing it, would hate to start over!

Thank You for any replies.
    Barrie

dual boot; grub; xp
    Last edited by Barriehie; May 12th, 2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add tags
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans

Re: XP install after Ubuntu.

Just install Xp on a seperate partition and then restore Ubuntu's grub on MBR. U need not to install Ubuntu once again. Repartition or split Ubuntu drive using Gparted .
    My linux registered number-438221
    Use Zenwalk, its SMALL and SEXY and VERY SLIM distro. Its very fast. I love it.
    Zenwalk.org

Beans

So I can boot from the gparted live CD and shrink my Ubuntu partition without losing anything and then the rest is reading, right?

Barrie
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

you could always try installing virtualbox to run windows xp inside your ubuntu partition

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corevette View Post
    you could always try installing virtualbox to run windows xp inside your ubuntu partition
    I think I'll try that, after I backup to a seperate device!

Barrie
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans

Here is a good guide you can use for that: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_l...lled_first.htm

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alien.col View Post
    Here is a good guide you can use for that: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_l...lled_first.htm
    Thank you, looks like I better try this on the weekend!
    Barrie
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans

I highly recommend making a supergrub / puppy linux / gparted / clonezilla live cd as detailed here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bdiskpage.html

The whole site is very helpful although some of the information may be out of date, but you get all the tools you need to troubleshoot and recover dual boot systems on one live cd, with the bonus of a full working fast OS for when you just need to get stuff done.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meganox View Post
    I highly recommend making a supergrub / puppy linux / gparted / clonezilla live cd as detailed here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bdiskpage.html

The whole site is very helpful although some of the information may be out of date, but you get all the tools you need to troubleshoot and recover dual boot systems on one live cd, with the bonus of a full working fast OS for when you just need to get stuff done.

This looks very good! I will go this route. What I was imagining to take hours looks like it won't be any issue at all.

Thank You for the prompt replies and awsome link Meganox, thank you again.
    Barrie
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved