Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Ok, the method seems to be still valid.

I tryed boot-up-manager but I have to say that I do not find the interface clear enough.
    I truly prefered using sysv-rc-conf in terminal, it is clear enough if you have the minimum understanding of runlevels.

BUT, the services seem to have changed a lot since 2006 so I think the best way for us is to look on the net for information about services, ask on irc.freenode.net ...

If someone have enough time and knowledge, it could be a could idea to make a new up-to-date post with a longer list of services (olds and news) that would make a synthesis of all that have been said in this post.

Good Luck Boys & Girls

Beans

I tried also this: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-boot/+archive/ppa. I have the impression it does speed-up but did not measure it somehow.

Beans

@ Nikos.Alexandris

Could you measure it with a bootchart graph for example where you would have set the system to log you automatically (don't lose time typping your password)? It would give an idea.

I found few information about ubuntu boot, could you tell us what this package consists in ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nephtali View Post
    @ Nikos.Alexandris

Could you measure it with a bootchart graph for example where you would have set the system to log you automatically (don't lose time typping your password)? It would give an idea.

I found few information about ubuntu boot, could you tell us what this package consists in ?
    I have 2 charts for you (and for all). One without any external device attached and one with several (LCD, firewire, hard-disk, usb-mouse, mobile phone).

Regards

UPDATE: couldn't find another way to post the images directly here. ".png" and ".jpg" are restricted to be of a certain resolution. So I tar-gz-ed them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Nikos.Alexandris; November 18th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    I have 2 charts for you (and for all).
    I see that the attached charts are unreadable (too small). But why? I attached the charts directly from within the directory /var/log/bootchart.

...OK, png is restricted to be 1024x768. Updating the previous post (if possible).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would recommend that you include KDM.
    That way, if a newbie comes and is still learning, they don't get too confused if they are using KDE.
    Spoiler: Highlight to read
    Congratulations, you have found the secret message! It contains absolutely nothing useful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Now I'm replacing all the windows in my home and office, the 9.10 is really fine, practically better than windows for normal user. Please can some one make an update of this "howto Speed up ubuntu boot process" for people like me, normal users and please only for 9.10 because the howto is too long, I'm not sure if it's working for your last version too. Many thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

^this. Since this was posted, oh, i don't know, 4 years ago, some of the information is incomplete.
    Ubuntu User #29918 | Linux User #501271 |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Are the instructions in the first post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...38&postcount=1) valid for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and later versions ? (as the first post was last edited in Jan 2007 and is dated Nov 2005) ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can anyone confirm or update if this thread is working on Jaunty, Karmic, or for Lucid? Can anyone point me to a newer link? Thanks.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast