Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Does it support the old panel applets, though, or is it just indicators with a re-skin?

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The 800 pound gorilla, though, is whether Gnome Classic/Fallback will continue to be developed and maintained as an alternative to Gnome Shell. Innovations like the Window Applets are great, but I wonder if such innovations will continue if there's no future in the DE. If I thought it had a future, I might be more apt to consider it; but my understanding is that Gnome sees it as a cockroach they'd prefer to squash - am I wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

It looks exactly like Gnome Classic that's available in 11.10. It's not really Gnome 2; it's Gnome 3 that's skinned to look like Gnome 2. When I installed Gnome Shell in 11.10, Gnome Classic became one of my choices. You get Gnome Classic (no effects), too.

So you don't have to wait for 12.04 to get this.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    The 800 pound gorilla, though, is whether Gnome Classic/Fallback will continue to be developed and maintained as an alternative to Gnome Shell. Innovations like the Window Applets are great, but I wonder if such innovations will continue if there's no future in the DE. If I thought it had a future, I might be more apt to consider it; but my understanding is that Gnome sees it as a cockroach they'd prefer to squash - am I wrong?
    My understanding of fallback is similar. I believe its existence beyond 12.04 is uncertain if gnome can be made to work on weaker graphics hardware. If fallback is widely used perhaps Gnome will rethink its fate -- or perhaps not. 12.04 and some extensions from extensions.gnome.org make gnome quite usable to me. Gnome (shell) and associated extensions work in other distros as well so presumably it will be developed for a while.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Great News. Thanks for sharing.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it - John Maxwell

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My main issue was the requirement for 2D and 3D graphics acceleration. Many people deploy Ubuntu inside virtual machines for productivity needs. The fallback to non-accelerated virtual graphics was less than ideal in prior releases in my experience.

OTOH, most Ubuntu users want to use everything their $200 GPU has to offer. My 5 yr old $40 GPU is no match.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    The 800 pound gorilla, though, is whether Gnome Classic/Fallback will continue to be developed and maintained as an alternative to Gnome Shell.
    Well since 12.04 is going to be supported for 5 years, gnome fallback will be around that long too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Can I stick stuff on the panels? Can I have my virtual desktops? Can I have my min/max buttons and scroll bars?
    Can I have 13 windows open in the Gimp in a nice neat stack on the title bar?

Someone listened! They listened!Excuse me,I've got something in my eye.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; February 20th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro

Cool, but im never switching from Cinnamon <3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    Does it support the old panel applets, though, or is it just indicators with a re-skin?
    Yes it does. When you Super+Alt+right click, you will see Add to Panel with all the usual applets.
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It looks exactly like Gnome Classic that's available in 11.10. It's not really Gnome 2; it's Gnome 3 that's skinned to look like Gnome 2.
    I never said it was gnome 2, but it's as close as you are going to get, and should satisfy those yearning for a gnome 2-like experience.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast