Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to do "mac" style in Ubuntu?

Beans

best way to do "mac" style in Ubuntu?

So I am looking to find the best way to have a bottom dock and top bar.

Anyone know the best way to do it and what the most up to date dock currently is as i hear AWN isn't supported anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: best way to do "mac" style in Ubuntu?

AWN dock, Cairo dock, Conky dock, Wbar dock are all options for lower docks, as for which will be the best one for your taste, I don't know. I run Xfce with wbar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Cairo Dock is the closest to looking like a Mac dock that I have used. Gnome Classic, or Xubuntu may be the best DEs to use.

Here is a theme that works with 12.04 . http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=147061
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Although currently in beta, Pantheon DE is worth considering.

Elementary OS Luna is basically Ubuntu 12.04 + Pantheon if you want to check it out in a LiveUSB/CD. I've been using it for a few hours on my netbook, and like it a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If we are bringing in non-Ubuntu OSs, look at Pear Linux, http://pearlinux.fr/download/ a french-based GNOME 3.x Linux base which has been tweaked to look a lot like Mac OS X.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    if we are bringing in non-ubuntu oss, look at pear linux, http://pearlinux.fr/download/ a french-based gnome 3.x linux base which has been tweaked to look a lot like mac os x.
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    So I am looking to find the best way to have a bottom dock and top bar.
    I use a Mac (MBA) also but I don't understand why anybody would want the dock at the bottom rather than the side on a widescreen monitor where vertical screen space is tight, horizontal screen space is not. I have my dock configured on the left side on my Mac, i.e. just like Unity and Gnome shell.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    Although currently in beta, Pantheon DE is worth considering.

Elementary OS Luna is basically Ubuntu 12.04 + Pantheon if you want to check it out in a LiveUSB/CD. I've been using it for a few hours on my netbook, and like it a lot.
    +1

I only discovered Elementary OS a few days ago, but Im absolutely loving it.
    It looks very polished; the UI doesnt get in the way and isnt "in your face", and it actually works pretty damn well. It combines the best features of Gnome3, unity and Mac.

I was getting desperate finding a replacement for ubuntu, but it looks like I found it now! A screenshot does it no justic (app and workspace switching is awesome), but here is one anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    +1

I only discovered Elementary OS a few days ago, but Im absolutely loving it.
    I remain a fan... But be warned: Pantheon interferes with other DEs, so it can be troublesome if installed on top of another Ubuntu / derivative OS (from personal experience).
    If you want to try it, do it from the Elementary OS beta ISO directly...
    Last edited by ugm6hr; April 25th, 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    I remain a fan... But be warned: Pantheon interferes with other DEs, so it can be troublesome if installed on top of another Ubuntu / derivative OS (from personal experience).
    If you want to try it, do it from the Elementary OS beta ISO directly...
    Been using it for several weeks now; Im no longer as big a fan as I was initially. It still looks great, and I realize its in beta, but too many things are still quite wrong with it:

- geary(mail client) is hopeless for now. Massive memory leaks, lacking even the most basic features like search, storing of drafts, spell check etc. Yes it does look fairly good but its not usable. The author wants to raise $100K for further developing it:
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ge...e-email-client
    Cant argue against opensource devs using crowdfunding to support them, I realize they have to eat too, but given the state of the app and their call to glory being Shotwell, which I happen to think is another horribly designed app, I am not too excited about this. Fortunately you can just install thunderbird.
    - for some reason firefox seems to be leaking lots of memory too. I havent noticed this on other OS's, certainly not to this extent.
    - Pantheon (file manager) is still way too buggy, particularly when accessing network resources or removable storage. Had to install nautilus. Pantheon does hold promise though, if the fix the bugs its actually a nice improvement over nautilus.
    - Noise (music player) is sorely missing in features too. Wont even do network streaming of internet radio. Radiotray FTW.
    - Printing. Where are the printer settings? I can only configure users. Had to do the rest through cups web interface.

In short; after replacing all the unusable apps with usable ones, it almost feels as using ubuntu with a nicer theme and launchers, less features and more bugs. To make matters worse development seems to be slow. Shame. It has potential. I just wished they would settle on more usable apps for the time being, and just like Mint started out, focus on the things they do get right, like the desktop environment which is perhaps the best and slickest Ive used to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast