Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filesharing between Lubuntu and Windows 7

Beans

Re: Filesharing between Lubuntu and Windows 7

okay i just installed nautilus file manager. When i click on browse network - windows network. when i try too i get the error

unable to mount location
    failed to retrive share list from server

can anyone help me out? like what should i do to fix this or what can i do to narrow down where the problem lies.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Filesharing between Lubuntu and Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Faraday92 View Post
    Hello,

I have a windows 7 system and a lubuntu netbook set up. I would like to share my files on lubutu with my windows 7 machine but so far nothing has worked...
    ...Lubuntu apparently networks in a different way than ubuntu...
    With Lubuntu I suggest you start by following my guide here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=samba

This should allow you to access network folder & file shares between Linux computers.

You should also be able to "see" Windows 7 network computers, but probably not access their files until you change some Win7 network settings. Also, you probably won't see Linux devices on Win7 at this stage.

On Win7 (probably as admin) go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Change Advance sharing settings

Start by selecting "Home or Work" profile and opening up (relaxing) the settings as follows:-
    - Turn on network discovery
    - Turn on file & printer sharing
    - Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read & write in Public Folders
    - Enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption
    - Turn off password protected sharing
    - Allow Windows to manage homegroup

Hopefully now you will see computers in both directions (if not, try rebooting everything)

Create folder & file shares as required on Win7.

Obviously once you have established access this way, you will need to consider your own security requirements and reset any setting as required.

Beans

I sitll can't get linux files from windows or even see the machine. and i have changed all my security settings

i am about to give up on linux because this is a real pain to set up

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I sitll can't get linux files from windows or even see the machine...
    Can you see Windows machines from Linux?

Can you successfully ping Windows from Linux, and ping Linux from Windows?

Can you try temporarily disabling Windows Firewall. Note than when making changes on a Win7 machine, your Network view may be cached (i.e. each time you open explorer > Network you may have the same limited view of devices). So always right click and select Refresh.

Win7 networking with non-Windows devices seems more tricky than WinXP, which in turn was more tricky than Win2000 (I like Win2000). But what you are trying to do is neither impossible or unusual. I've just switched on a Win7 laptop, a Lubuntu netbook and a Debian RaspberryPi, and once I disabled the Win7 firewall they all see one another and play nice.

Beans

I had a similiar issue using Mythbuntu and a Win 7 computer. The Myth computer is wireless. Was finally able to get it but the ifconfig address will change on me. I can finally talk to both machines.

Beans

i use norton and i have tried disabling the firewall on there but it did not help. and no the 2 machines can not ping eachother

i tried refresh in windows. and it did not help

since another linux machine i have can see the share on the netbook i am thinking that there must be something wrong with my windows PC

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

...the 2 machines can not ping each other ...
    Are you pinging with machine name or IP address? If not IP, then try ping with IP address. Obviously both machines should be in the same address range, with the same sub-net mask.

If this is a home network with a router running DHCP, try pinging the router from both Win & Linux machines to establish that they are both on/using the network (e.g. ping 192.168.0.1 or whatever its IP is).

If there are no hardware problems with your network, ping problems on Windows usually means that ICMP is blocked by a firewall.

Beans

okay i tried ping with IP no success

i change my norton firewall setting and all ICMP things are set to allow

the IPs are 192.168.179.38 and 192.168.179.34

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : fritz.box
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::601d:347
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.179.34
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.179.1

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 94:db:c9:a3:4e:7a
    inet addr:192.168.179.38 Bcast:192.168.179.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::96db:c9ff:fea3:4e7a/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:718 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:946 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:559154 (559.1 KB) TX bytes:187738 (187.7 KB)

ping 192.168.179.38

Pinging 192.168.179.38 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.179.34: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.179.38:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

imb-server@IMB-SERVER ~ $ nmap -sP 192.168.0.30-40

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-08-26 22:12 CEST
    mass_dns: warning: Unable to open /etc/resolv.conf. Try using --system-dns or specify valid servers with --dns-servers
    mass_dns: warning: Unable to determine any DNS servers. Reverse DNS is disabled. Try using --system-dns or specify valid servers with --dns-servers
    Nmap done: 11 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 6.04 seconds
    Last edited by Faraday92; August 26th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chuckrp View Post
    I had a similiar issue using Mythbuntu and a Win 7 computer. The Myth computer is wireless. Was finally able to get it but the ifconfig address will change on me. I can finally talk to both machines.
    A lot of modems and routers give you the option to lock an IP address to the computer's MAC address. A computer or other device when requesting an IP from the DHCP server will often be given the IP address it had previously but not always. Don't forget to save the new settings in case you have to reboot your router/modem. Not saving the settings may give you more headaches down the track if you forget you needed to do this. Been there, done that...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I find it really useful to have a Lubuntu LiveUSB memory stick with a basic install + the stuff needed for networking.

This can be used to check any machine, thereby eliminating any potential issues caused by additional software packages already loaded to your target machine. It also means you can cross-check the LiveUSB on several machines.

My updated notes for Lubuntu & Win7 are here: http://captainbodgit.blogspot.co.uk/...-win7-and.html

It looks like additional packages are still required for full networking on Lubuntu 12.10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12