Page 84 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by salsa2010 View Post
    Unfortunately, this didn't work for me I downgraded my BIOS from 1.20 to 1.17, but still, the fan is blowing all the time. It blows even more when I switch AC on... I'll try with an older BIOS version, let's see.

Is there anyone who managed to stop the fan blowing all the time on a 3810t + (x)ubuntu ? or is this just normal behaviour ? in this case I'll regret my purchase...
    BIOS 1.10 does not solve the problem too help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

BIOS 1.10 does not solve the problem too help!
    I'm using BIOS 1.24 on my 3810T and have no fan problems at all. It speeds up at about 44°C and speeds up even more at 55°C or so. And has done so with all the BIOSes I've used, the original 1.00 (I assume) 1.04 (I think, hey it was a year ago), 1.08, 1.10, 1.20 and now 1.24.

If the problem is related to the BIOS, it might be that you didn't use the proper update procedure. Before and after updating the BIOS you should always enter the BIOS and load the "BIOS defaults". This prevents changes you made to your BIOS configuration from messing up stuff in the new BIOS.

Else I think there's something wrong with your ubuntu installation.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    I'm using BIOS 1.24 on my 3810T and have no fan problems at all. It speeds up at about 44°C and speeds up even more at 55°C or so. And has done so with all the BIOSes I've used, the original 1.00 (I assume) 1.04 (I think, hey it was a year ago), 1.08, 1.10, 1.20 and now 1.24.

If the problem is related to the BIOS, it might be that you didn't use the proper update procedure. Before and after updating the BIOS you should always enter the BIOS and load the "BIOS defaults". This prevents changes you made to your BIOS configuration from messing up stuff in the new BIOS.

Thank you for your answer. I tried to load the BIOS default on my current BIOS (1.10), no change.

Which tool are you using to check at which temperatures the fan starts ?

Can you please describe what happens with your fan when you switch the power supply on and off ? on my system, as soon as I switch on power supply, the fan speed increases and gets louder (too much for me...). When I return on battery mode, the fan speed immediately reduces. So the fan speed is not controlled by the temperatures in this case.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thank you for your answer. I tried to load the BIOS default on my current BIOS (1.10), no change.

Which tool are you using to check at which temperatures the fan starts ?
    lm-sensors (coretemp sensor) and conky to display the sensor readout on my desktop.

Can you please describe what happens with your fan when you switch the power supply on and off ? on my system, as soon as I switch on power supply, the fan speed increases and gets louder (too much for me...). When I return on battery mode, the fan speed immediately reduces. So the fan speed is not controlled by the temperatures in this case.
    I just tried that. To my surprise the fan runs at the same speed. I'd swear I heard it slowdown after unplugging AC on other occasions.

Beans

Question Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    Does (X)Ubuntu play a role in the regulation of the fan ?
    If yes, how ?

Beans

Hi every one,

I have a
    3810TZ with U4100 2 cores Intel with ATI 4300 bios: 1.20
    Ubuntu 10.4
    and my problem are:

-fan always on and air is hot
    -battery last no more 2 hours ....

I install powertop and it says: 18.9W ... What can I do. It seems that Throttling is always on T0 100% (¿is that normal?)

To add more data: lspci with grep vga
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M92 LP [Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series]
    Throttling:
    Code:
    state count:             8
    active state:            T0
    state available: T0 to T7
    states:
       *T0:                  100%
        T1:                  88%
        T2:                  75%
        T3:                  63%
        T4:                  50%
        T5:                  38%
        T6:                  25%
        T7:                  13%
    diretory /proc/acpi/fan/ is empty normal?

powertop output
    Code:
       *T0:                  100%Cn                Avg residency       P-states (frequencies)
    C0 (cpu running)        ( 4.6%)         1300 Mhz     0.0%
    polling           0.0ms ( 0.0%)         1200 Mhz   100.0%
    C1 mwait          0.4ms ( 0.4%)
    C4 mwait          1.7ms (95.0%)

Wakeups-from-idle per second : 584.5    interval: 3.0s
    Power usage (ACPI estimate): 18.8W (0.8 hours)

Top causes for wakeups:
      55.1% (372.3)   PS/2 keyboard/mouse/touchpad interrupt
      11.6% ( 78.3)   [extra timer interrupt]
      11.3% ( 76.3)   [i915] <interrupt>
       9.0% ( 61.0)   [kernel scheduler] Load balancing tick
       2.5% ( 17.0)   Xorg
       2.2% ( 14.7)   firefox-bin

Thanks for your help!!!
    Regards

Beans

Have you modified the bios-settings to make sure only the discrete (ATI) graphics card is being used? Otherwise both cards will run simultaneously... Therefore switch graphics to "discrete". Then install the ati proprietary driver using jockey-kde and, further, the amd catalyst control center (see one of my previous posts). You shall be able to achieve less than 10 W without any further tuning (which can be found in this thread).

Good luck.

I have the same configuration and can barely ever hear the fan blowing!

PS: Deinstall all the openjdk stuff and install the sun java instead. This solved some issues concerning java and high cpu load.

Beans

thanks it works, I have less than 10W. I am pretty sure I can lower this value with some stuff I read in the forum.

Problem is that with discret under Win7 it's a total mess !!! Lot's of device are not working well (device manager says that) and max screen resoltion is not good ...

There is no trick to have bios in switchable and disable it from ubuntu ?

Regards

Beans

Short answer: As far as I know you cannot use switchable in linux with the ati card.

Longer answer: There is a patch available that disables the ati and makes you linux box use the intel card instead. I cannot tell you about power consumption etc. since I need the ati card anyway and barely ever boot up windows. Try this link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very good news: the new Linux Kernel v2.6.34 brings many features and corrections, but the very most important thing to my eyes is: if you have 2 GPU (such as in some Timeline model), you will be able with this Kernel to switch from one to another!

HTML Code:
    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_34#head-d5dbe5b78c37bdb03e18b07556b06c1167dc3bb9
    Some laptops have two GPUs, a low-power and inefficient GPU and a high-power and powerful GPU. Users should be able to switch to one or another at runtime. In this version, Linux adds support for this feature. You need to restart X, though.

Page 84 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast