Thread: Resolved Threads

Beans

Resolved Threads

I take it we all saw this today?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484873

Maybe our current PHP wizard kidders can work this into the tracker?
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    --Confucius

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Resolved Threads

Probably through my own stupidity, but I've only just discovered where the resolved threads button is.

Not that I answer many posts on here, I'm a little too inexperienced, but if people actually changed their posts to resolved when they were wouldn't this make the forum easier to handle.

I think more should be made to publicise the idea of 'resolved threads', perhaps even a button on the page to click rather than in a sub menu?

Also when someone has posted several replies to a post, do you think this makes it less likely that someone else will help? I've had helpful but slightly clueless people ask lots of irrelevant questions. Does this look like the problems being resolved and so will be ignored by more knowlegeable posters?
    12.04 64 bit,Dell Vostro 3550, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel Core i5-2520M processor 2.50 GHz with integrated graphics card, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz, 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dougleduck View Post
    Also when someone has posted several replies to a post, do you think this makes it less likely that someone else will help? I've had helpful but slightly clueless people ask lots of irrelevant questions. Does this look like the problems being resolved and so will be ignored by more knowlegeable posters?
    Yes, I always assume that if the thread is on to its second page, it is being resolved. I wish I could go by some explicit tag or flag such as "[SOLVED]", but you just can't rely on that. People don't mark their threads. And why should they? There is no clear message telling them to do so. So, we all waste our time.

If only we could go around marking them as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonDave View Post
    Yes, I always assume that if the thread is on to its second page, it is being resolved. I wish I could go by some explicit tag or flag such as "[SOLVED]", but you just can't rely on that. People don't mark their threads. And why should they? There is no clear message telling them to do so. So, we all waste our time.

You can (sorta): Use the post report feature and just report it as "needs marked as solved." If you don't want to do that, or you're afraid you'll flood the reported posts just ping me on IRC with some threads. I'm "jacob" in #ubuntuforms-unanswered on freenode.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    You can (sorta): Use the post report feature and just report it as "needs marked as solved." If you don't want to do that, or you're afraid you'll flood the reported posts just ping me on IRC with some threads. I'm "jacob" in #ubuntuforms-unanswered on freenode.

I agree that if problem has been solved then it should be marked as solved - the posters need to take some responsibility for this (if they are aware of this option). But doesn't marking a thread "solved" close it for further discussion? Someone further down the track might have further questions.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I agree that if problem has been solved then it should be marked as solved - the posters need to take some responsibility for this (if they are aware of this option). But doesn't marking a thread "solved" close it for further discussion? Someone further down the track might have further questions.
    If they have another question they should be making a new thread.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    If they have another question they should be making a new thread.
    True. That option is always open.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    But doesn't marking a thread "solved" close it for further discussion?
    Really?

Surely not. I've often continued discussing details of an issue after it has been solved enough to be marked as solved, even in archived forums. I've never had a message come up telling me I can't post.

Perhaps all those posts had the title changed manually.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Perhaps all those posts had the title changed manually.
    No, marking it as solved just changes the title. It doesn't close it or anything, though that would make sense

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I knew that.

it's the only way I know.