Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable wlan0 power management

Beans

Disable wlan0 power management

Hi everybody. Since wlan0 power management causes malfunctions to my Atheros wireless device, I need to disable power management in order to get a good internet connection even when the computer is battery powered. Power management is set "off" when I plug in wall power and is set "on" when I unplug it. I want to set it always "off". I can do it by using:

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
    But when I reboot, I have to do it again! I've tried adding that command to rc.locale, before exit 0, but nothing happens. Then I've tried adding the following lines to /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-power off
    but nothing. What else can I do? Thank you in advance!
    Ubuntu 11.04... not a great idea!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Disable wlan0 power management

I can't give you the source where I read this from (can't bloody well remember) but I just did this same thing two days ago and this is what I did.

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    and then I just put
    #!/bin/sh

/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power off
    In the file.

Lastly,
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    According to the thread that works, and my connection seems significantly more stable now when I try and get on the campus wifi.

Hope that helps!
    i5-650 Dual-Core 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB, eVGA GTX 460 *Running Ubuntu, Arch, Win7, Snow Leopard
    Aluminum Unibody, 5,1 Macbook *Running Snow Leopard, Ubuntu, Jolicloud

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zookalicious View Post
    I can't give you the source where I read this from (can't bloody well remember) but I just did this same thing two days ago and this is what I did.

Hope that helps!
    Hi Zookalicious. Thank you, I'll try your solution, but I must admit that I've found another one while I was waiting for an answer. I'm writing it here, maybe someone will need it. In my first post, I've written that I have also edited /etc/rc.local and added

Code:
    But I did not consider that I have to make that command run AFTER the association of the wlan0 connection. So, before the above-mentioned command, I also added

Code:
    sleep 30
    Of course, everything before "exit 0". Well, it seems to work fine!

I'll try Zook's solution and I will write about it later! Thank you anyway!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zookalicious View Post

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    and then I just put
    In the file.

Lastly,
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    According to the thread that works, and my connection seems significantly more stable now when I try and get on the campus wifi.

Hope that helps!
    This solution works, too, and works better then the first I've used. rc.local solution worked, too, but there was a problem. as I plugged in and then plugged out again AC power, power management was set to "on" again. But with the solution suggested by Zook, power management for wlan0 will ALWAYS be switched off... Thank you Zook!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Excellent! Glad that worked for you
    i5-650 Dual-Core 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB, eVGA GTX 460 *Running Ubuntu, Arch, Win7, Snow Leopard
    Aluminum Unibody, 5,1 Macbook *Running Snow Leopard, Ubuntu, Jolicloud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I have a clean install of 11.04. When I try to copy and paste Zook's commands into terminal the file opens but it's blank. I close it without saving and "no such file or directory errors" appears in terminal. What am I doing wrong? This is what appears in terminal. john@john-WIM2180:~$ gksu gedit /etc/pm/power.d/wireless

(gedit:2856): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2856): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.Y738UV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2856): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
    john@john-WIM2180:~$
    Last edited by J Caffrey; May 3rd, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by J Caffrey View Post
    I have a clean install of 11.04. When I try to copy and paste Zook's commands into terminal the file opens but it's blank. I close it without saving and "no such file or directory errors" appears in terminal. What am I doing wrong?:confused
    If you're talking about /etc/pm/power.d/wireless , it doesn't exist, you must create it from scratch and add
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

then save.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Smile Re: Disable wlan0 power management

Thanks for that its working perfectly. I'm a bit rusty having made a comeback to ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by J Caffrey View Post
    Thanks for that its working perfectly. I'm a bit rusty having made a comeback to ubuntu.
    I'm happy I could help you like Zook helped me...

Beans

thank you , i solved this problem. it was kill me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast