Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.04 won't boot

Beans

Beans

Re: 8.04 won't boot

darcyb, it also details how to do swap via a file on a Macbook specifically, on the Macbook wiki page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...2d0a4c0c49f431

I'm at the point now where I synced my GPT and MBR tables and got it to hang on the penguin, that took me a little while. I'm booting into the Hardy live CD again to reinstall but putting GRUB onto my ext3 partition. I'm gonna keep the 512MB swap partition, it's always worked before.

Beans

OK, so, after I installed again, and resynced my GPT table to my MBR table with rEFIt, I still hung on the tux.

I saw on another thread that I might have better luck by bypassing rEFIt, and holding down the Alt/Option key on boot and selecting the 'Windows' partition from that menu. And it worked! I just booted into Hardy.

So, until whatever stupid bugs are plaguing the Hardy installer for Macs are fixed, looks like I'm holding down the Alt/Option key on boot, every boot.

Beans

OK, so, after I installed again, and resynced my GPT table to my MBR table with rEFIt, I still hung on the tux.

I saw on another thread that I might have better luck by bypassing rEFIt, and holding down the Alt/Option key on boot and selecting the 'Windows' partition from that menu. And it worked! I just booted into Hardy.

So, until whatever stupid bugs are plaguing the Hardy installer for Macs are fixed, looks like I'm holding down the Alt/Option key on boot, every boot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Klondike View Post

That is very strange,can you please open a terminal in OS X and type
    diskutil list
    sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0
    and copy the output of the command here.

And also run rEFIt Partition Inspector, copy what you get.

I can use rEFIt to boot hardy without problems, i did not use rEFIt to sync GPT/MBR, instead i rebuilt the MBR partition table manually in terminal. But i don't think this will make any difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by darcyb View Post
    mrsteveman1, doesn't Ubuntu need two partitions for itself, one for the OS+software (ext2) and the other for virtual memory (SWAP) ? So there would be:

EFI
    OS X
    ext2
    swap

(I'm not saying I would create more than one partition after the OSX one, because Ubuntu would split that extra one into two on its own.)

If there was a boot partition created, it's whatever the default Ubuntu install process creates. I've never intentionally created one. I hadn't tried the advanced menu though. Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.
    You don't HAVE to have a swap partition. If you want to , you can just ignore it's warning. I don't have a swap, and I'm running on my MBP just fine.

Make sure, on the last screen of the install, you click advanced, and you have it install grub on the ubuntu partiton only, i.e., /dev/sda3, or /dev/sda2, or whatever.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I rebooted into OS X holding down the option key, installed refit, and rebooted. From the refit screen, I chose the Linux option for my internal HD. It then sat on the grey screen with penguin in the middle indefinitely and didn't boot Ubuntu.
    I had that problem after installing too, but it went away somehow.

Be careful about changing the boot flags. also, note that you will change the boot flags on your GPT and MBR table differently and it can get tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
    For the record darcyb, I'm having the identical problem as you, and am about to try the Advanced stuff at the end of the process for the first time. And yeah, I've used a swap partition for my installs of Feisty and Gutsy before without a problem. I also never needed to choose where to put the bootloader, or go into Refit and sync my MBR. :/
    It is a new bug in the hardy installer. It did not have this behavior in Gutsy.

If you are only planning to dual-boot (no winows). use gparted to completely delete the partition that you made to put Ubuntu on, start the installer, and choose to install to the largest free space. that will create a root and swap partition for you.
    Last edited by cyberdork33; April 27th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    If you are only planning to dual-boot (no winows). use gparted to completely delete the partition that you made to put Ubuntu on, start the installer, and choose to install to the largest free space. that will create a root and swap partition for you.
    That's what I kept trying to do, but I didn't go to advanced.

Do I have to change the partition format from OS X at all? It's ok to stick with GUID in the options section of Disk Utility when the Macbook's internal drive is selected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's what I kept trying to do, but I didn't go to advanced.
    no need unless you want to triple boot.

Do I have to change the partition format from OS X at all? It's ok to stick with GUID in the options section of Disk Utility when the Macbook's internal drive is selected?
    stop using diskutility. once you have made space for Ubuntu, no matter what partition format you are using, boot from the Ubuntu LiveCD, start the partition editor (gparted) and delete the partition you made for Ubuntu. Then choose to install to the free space in the installer.

getting stuck at the tux screen is still unresolved, but you should be able to hold Option at the start to select the "windows" partition to start Ubuntu. I got the refit problem initially but once I had rebooted a few times it worked properly.

Beans

Thanks cyberdork33. I'm off to try just that.

I have tried the option key technique after each ubuntu installation attempt, and 'windows' never appeared as a boot choice. We'll see if that happens again.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast