Thread: Ubuntu freeze: overheating???

Beans

Ubuntu freeze: overheating???

I have a few problems with my Ubuntu 8.04 installation that have been bugging me for a while. I run a Toshiba U205
    (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba...00.1520.0.html)

One of the main problems with this machine is this:

When I leave the computer sitting for a long time (e.g. about 15-20 minutes), the screen goes black, the fan and hard drive seem to be spinning very fast, and the only way to get out is to use shift-alt-sysreq-k and then -r.
    This seems to happen more often and more quickly when the computer is at high load, e.g. when I left the comp. last week to upgrade. This is very annoying. I have the machine set to hibernate after about 15 minutes of inactivity but it never seems to get that far.

Is it overheating? Any help much appreciated!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu freeze: overheating???

Can anybody help? This problem sucks, I can't just walk away from my computer without losing everything I am working on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by maxclimber1w View Post
    I have a few problems with my Ubuntu 8.04 installation that have been bugging me for a while. I run a Toshiba U205
    (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba...00.1520.0.html)

One of the main problems with this machine is this:

When I leave the computer sitting for a long time (e.g. about 15-20 minutes), the screen goes black, the fan and hard drive seem to be spinning very fast, and the only way to get out is to use shift-alt-sysreq-k and then -r.
    This seems to happen more often and more quickly when the computer is at high load, e.g. when I left the comp. last week to upgrade. This is very annoying. I have the machine set to hibernate after about 15 minutes of inactivity but it never seems to get that far.

Is it overheating? Any help much appreciated!
    Suspend / Hibernate doesn't work very well in Hardy. It's a known bug.
    I would try using the Power Management settings rather than Suspend.

Although I have a desktop, I'm using the default settings with no problem. I just press the Spacebar, and my monitor powers up, and the hard drive restarts.

If you are still having problems, test your RAM. Your module my be faulty / failing. A lot of system settings are stored in RAM when unit is powered down.

Beans

This isn't really about hibernate, becuase this problem happens even when the computer is busy and I have disabled the auto sleep/hibernate function, both through power options and with the inhibit applet. Any more ideas?

Beans

If it was overheating, it would usually just shut off, rather than spinning everything up. You still might want to try this

It works wonders.

Also, setup the system to log to an easily accessible file, let the problem happen, and analyze/post the log. Good luck.

Beans

How do I set the system to make a log?