Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to transfer .exe to Ubuntu server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question How to transfer .exe to Ubuntu server

Hey guys, I am trying to upload a specific file folder to my ubuntu server and i keep getting an error message. I am sending this file via my windows 7 operating system and it contains an .exe(which is the file) I am getting an error message on. Any ideas why this is happening?

It is a mame emulator that im trying to post on my server so my roomates can play my games too.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to transfer .exe to Ubuntu server

Quote Originally Posted by BStrizzy View Post
    .. Any ideas why this is happening? ...
    It would also help if you posted the actual error message, doing so is likely to get you better assistance and not wild guesses .

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: How to transfer .exe to Ubuntu server

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    It would also help if you posted the actual error message, doing so is likely to get you better assistance and not wild guesses .

there are 32 more of these error messages. Keep in mind that I do not have a samba server because I am normally on my ubuntu operating system. Will i need this samba in order to make this happen and for my roomates who have windows to upload there stuff as well?
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/BStrawt/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/BStrawt/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

there are 32 more of these error messages. Keep in mind that I do not have a samba server because I am normally on my ubuntu operating system. Will i need this samba in order to make this happen and for my roomates who have windows to upload there stuff as well?
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/BStrawt/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/BStrawt/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    Can see now why you didn't post the error.

If you are trying to share files with windows you WILL (edit: wrong emphasis) need the samba service and possibly winbind as well installed. I'd say there is a good chance that is why the errors are popping up. Cheers.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; November 26th, 2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: corrected wrong emphasis that could mislead

Beans

long story short, yes samba is a great tool for sharing files to windows users. If you would like to get around using samba, you can use ftp or if you prefer the security of ssh there is always sshfs. check out this link http://code.google.com/p/win-sshfs/

Beans

If you are trying to share files with windows you WILL need the samba service and possibly winbind as well installed. I'd say there is a good chance that is why the errors are popping up. Cheers.
    samba is only good in network. Apache or sshfs much better much faster for windows on outside networks. Cheers mate!

Beans
    Distro

If you are trying to share files with windows you WILL need the samba service and possibly winbind as well installed. I'd say there is a good chance that is why the errors are popping up. Cheers.
    thanks alot, can you tell me more about samba, i can not get a solid definition and how to create it

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks alot, can you tell me more about samba, i can not get a solid definition and how to create it
    Others above have mentioned methods you should also consider, depenping on your needs. Samba is one method for filesharing.

Does your install have a desktop or is it headless? Need to know for advice regarding installation methods. A desktop that has Nautilus installed makes it rather easy to install samba, whereas a headless server = command line.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; November 26th, 2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: punctuation/sp.

Beans
    Distro

your thumbnail shows me an ERROR 8 and this is a unix error-number which means:

#define ENOEXEC 8 /* Exec format error */

try to rename your file to xxxxx.txt - i guess than it will work.
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rnerwein View Post
    your thumbnail shows me an ERROR 8 and this is a unix error-number which means:

#define ENOEXEC 8 /* Exec format error */

try to rename your file to xxxxx.txt - i guess than it will work.
    Ok will do. when I upload it as a txt, when the user downloads it from the server do they just change the file back to xxxxx.exe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast