Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux support for TomTom Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

BB88: Have you tried with the newest version? I think it's 1.6. I get an error when trying to install.

wes@pendragon:~/Downloads$ wine TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe
    fixme:actctx****_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\temp\\nst165.tmp\\UAC.dll") not found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok, I took care of that issue with winetricks. TomTom Home is installed and runs fine, but doesn't see my gps. I have a TomTom 325-SE. Ubuntu (Karmic) sees it and mounts it to /media/INTERNAL (not sure why this mount point). Anybody have any ideas on what I need to do to get wine/TomTom Home to see the gps unit?

BB88: What gps do you have?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have a Tomtom XL IQ Routes, and I'm running Kubuntu 9.10

I can install Tomtom HOME 2.7.3.1894 from the device:

Install wine and cabextract:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install wine cabextract
    Get winetricks: (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
    Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    Install needed stuff for Tomtom HOME to work:
    Code:
    sh winetricks corefonts vcrun6 vcrun2005
    Just in case it should help anything, have /media/TOMTOM point at /media/INTERNAL:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /media/INTERNAL /media/TOMTOM
    Start the installation of Tomtom HOME:
    Code:
    wine /media/INTERNAL/InstallTomTomHOME.exe
    (or right-click the installer, and choose to open with wine)

I can now open Tomtom HOME from the start menu.
    But the application doesn't detect my GPS.

Wine is configured with D: pointing at /media/INTERNAL
    I have installed Total Commander 7.50a just to check that wine has set up the drives correctly - and I can browse the GPS just fine from there.

Any ideas why TOMtom HOME is not picking up the device?
    Last edited by daller; December 19th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Beans

Same problem with me.
    TomTom HOME installed succesfully, but after connection of my TomTom XL IQ Routes the program doesn't see any connected device.
    The device seems to be properly mounted as /media/INTERNAL/ (identified as the wine D: drive).

Beans

I work with TomTom. There aren't really any approved solutions for TomTom Home. But, if you contact Customer Support, and very nicely inform the people you speak with that you would like them to pass your message that you would like Linux support, it will eventually make an impact.

In the mean time, there are a few workarounds

Applications can be manually installed from .cab files. Not all application versions are readily available for all devices. If you do need to update your application though, contact Customer Support, they will ask for your application version, and can usually send you the appropriate .cab files (and instructions) to install them on your device.

If you have safety camera files, you can go to www.tomtom.com/plus/mypois.php. Here you can manually download .zip files of your safety camera files, and install them on your device (if you have paid for them, they will work on your linked device).

Some voice files you can probably find online with enough searching,and copy in to your 'voices' folder, or 'LoquendoTTS' if you have Text-to-Speech though 3rd party additions can be buggy sometimes, especially if there is a large amount of them.

Maps, however, can only be downloaded from TomTom Home.

If anyone comes up with a good (somewhat easy) solution, let me know!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I Sent them an email as well.

Beans

Same here, TomTom Home runs fine under Wine but although the device is recognised as E: /media/INTERNAL Home does not detect it.

Anyone know if there is any sort of retry anywhere in Home? or does it try to re-connect somehow.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think the main problem with running TomTom Home under Wine, is that it really wants to talk to the TomTom directly over USB and the current standard Wine releases do not have USB support built-in.

There are, however, some source code patches that purport to add USB support using libusb. You'll find them here: http://wiki.winehq.org/USB.

Personally, I have given up on the Wine approach for now since I was able to get it working using WinXP in a VirtualBox, but I'd love to hear if it works with the Wine USB patches.

Beans

If ppl, like me, who don't own a Sat Nav yet, but considering to have one that has support for a Linux (ubuntu) version of the Desktop Kit, where should I send an email?

I think my case would be considered even more favourably from TomTom, as they didn't get my money yet.. and to be honest, if some other maker provide a Linux kit, I'll go for the other brand... so they have advantage in providing support for Linux quickly.

Beans

To contact support, www.tomtom.com/368.
    There are steps to submit a case on the website.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast