Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: have you got a really old computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: have you got a really old computer

ventrical: You seem to need what we used to simply call "EDO" memory, and that is the same memory I am using. 32 meg ones are not that common, as typically newer technology was used as memory requirements increased. Just a year ago I surveyed my friends for looking for 32 Meg EDO memories (or even 64 meg, which are really rare) and came up with none. I only have the 4 32 meg ones in my old test machine.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    ventrical: You seem to need what we used to simply call "EDO" memory, and that is the same memory I am using. 32 meg ones are not that common, as typically newer technology was used as memory requirements increased. Just a year ago I surveyed my friends for looking for 32 Meg EDO memories (or even 64 meg, which are really rare) and came up with none. I only have the 4 32 meg ones in my old test machine.

Yes .. "EDO" that what is says in the pic I uploaded. I got some around. I'll just have to look for it. I'll get back at it Monday.

Have great weekend you guys ! lol

Beans
    Distro

Notes from my install experience:
    At the "Do you want to clone..." step: I suggest that "Y" be permitted as well as"y".
    At the CD ROM error, not partition-able step: It was not obvious to me that I was in some VI editor mode and that I needed to type "q" to exit VI and continue.
    Otherwise installation is trivial.

Note from desktop experience:
    When I open "system tools" there is "Htop" and "UXterm" and "Xterm" in the list. If I click on "Htop" I get a UXterm console only.
    However, I can run htop manually from a local terminal or my SSH session. I attach a frame from an htop session (note: I have never used htop before, I always use top).

Anyway, amazing that such a pathetic computer can run a GUI.

Edit: It seems to have re-sampled the attachment, which both made the file size bigger (was .png) and fuzzy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug S; March 16th, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

My system is defiantly working better than last week. I was able to update/upgrade from a xterm window in graphics mode. I am able to use the web browser, but it does crash often. I think it just runs out of memory and quits.
    I think you are right.
    There is no /var/crash log file. I was able to browse my own web site no problem (mostly hand coded html). I am also able to open ubuntuforums.org (at 48 % memory used by the browser) and the Ubuntu+1 forums (at 51% memory used by the browser), but it would always crash when I tried to open this thread (I would see 53% memory used, then crash). I tried several times. However, by trying to open page 12 directly (which was short at the time) it did open. I was thinking it would be pretty cool to reply to this thread from that computer, but the browser crashed again when I tried to login via SSO.

I did install ssh server, which makes it easier to cut and paste the below from my puTTY session:
    Code:
    guru@nonpae:~$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           115         98         17          0          1         59
    -/+ buffers/cache:         37         78
    Swap:          319         26        293
    Edit: added some "top" stuff (it seems to be using less memory this time):
    Code:
    top - 22:13:56 up  1:13,  2 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.28, 0.30
    Tasks:  84 total,   1 running,  83 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s):  1.0 us,  1.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 97.7 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem:    118652 total,   115720 used,     2932 free,     2220 buffers
    KiB Swap:   327676 total,    22032 used,   305644 free.    55856 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
     3597 guru      20   0  396324  49548  30676 S  0.0 41.8   0:29.69 x-www-browser
      884 root      20   0  129588  12900   3864 S  0.0 10.9   4:51.77 Xorg
     1022 guru      20   0  235640   5652   4128 S  0.0  4.8   0:26.03 lxpanel
     3475 root      20   0   10936   3440   2712 S  0.0  2.9   0:01.28 sshd
     3494 root      20   0   29496   3280   2644 S  0.0  2.8   0:00.29 console-kit-dae
    Nice that you were able to install ssh server

Trusty is swapping, and far from using all the swap space. Obviously it works for you, but needs more RAM to be useful.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I finally got the hdd and cd to sync up in BIOS as both MASTER on my NEC Ready. That is the only way it will work. Otherwise it is very finicky with CS and SLAVE.

Here is what I get when I boot up with the text.iso (and then just blinking cursor).
    Not quite what I get in my Thinkpad, when I reduce RAM via the boot option until too low RAM to run. It would be nice if you could find some more EDO memory card and get a chance to test with more RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Notes from my install experience:
    At the "Do you want to clone..." step: I suggest that "Y" be permitted as well as"y".
    This should be easy to fix in mkusb.

Edit: But how important is this change? And should it include all replies (also n+N, g+G, q+Q ...)? In that case I think it might be best to assume bash version 4.x+ and use 'Uppercase to lowercase or vice versa',

Code:
    y="this Is A test"
    echo "${y^^}"
    y="THIS IS a TeSt"
    echo "${y,,}"
    At the CD ROM error, not partition-able step: It was not obvious to me that I was in some VI editor mode and that I needed to type "q" to exit VI and continue.
    Otherwise installation is trivial.
    I'm not sure I understand. The help text window shown by mkusb is displayed with the viewer less. You exit from less with q. It is possible to get into VI editor mode from less, but definitely not the intention in this case.

It seems both of you are bothered by this help window. I switched it off in the desktop files but it is still available and active when you run mkusb from the terminal window (with the second parameter all). I could change that and use the second parameter anh (meaning show all mass storage devices, show no help text).
    Note from desktop experience:
    When I open "system tools" there is "Htop" and "UXterm" and "Xterm" in the list. If I click on "Htop" I get a UXterm console only.
    However, I can run htop manually from a local terminal or my SSH session. I attach a frame from an htop session (note: I have never used htop before, I always use top).
    That menu entry was created automatically, when I installed htop. I checked now, and it is the same problem for me. Obviously, htop creates a buggy menu entry in Lubuntu Core Trusty. Maybe I can fix it. The reason I have not fixed it is that I did not notice it. I usually run htop in a text screen or terminal window anyway (start it with the command htop).
    Anyway, amazing that such a pathetic computer can run a GUI.
    Yes
    Last edited by sudodus; March 16th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Likely not of any use to you. As far back as I go is a year 2000 IBM NetVista which does have pae.

With 320 MB of storage (max installable), the 9W live accessed the CD like fury and was very slow (!) in running iceweasel and gmail to save the data below.

It's a backup pc for my wife the 10 GB hard drive is cram full of her documents and pictures so I can't do an install without putting in another hard drive.

I do have an IBM Thinkpad which has an "M" processor, no pae as I remember, however this forum said the "M" was of no use to you.

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 8
    model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
    stepping : 6
    microcode : 0x8
    cpu MHz : 734.698
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse
    bogomips : 1469.39
    clflush size : 32
    cache_alignment : 32
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:

root@9w_dd_TrustyB1npae-LubuCore:~#

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Likely not of any use to you. As far back as I go is a year 2000 IBM NetVista which does have pae.

With 320 MB of storage (max installable), the 9W live accessed the CD like fury and was very slow (!) in running iceweasel and gmail to save the data below.

It's a backup pc for my wife the 10 GB hard drive is cram full of her documents and pictures so I can't do an install without putting in another hard drive.

I do have an IBM Thinkpad which has an "M" processor, no pae as I remember, however this forum said the "M" was of no use to you.

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 8
    model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
    stepping : 6
    microcode : 0x8
    cpu MHz : 734.698
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse
    bogomips : 1469.39
    clflush size : 32
    cache_alignment : 32
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:

root@9w_dd_TrustyB1npae-LubuCore:~#
    Hi jerrylamos,

Your wife's computer will not define the lowest specs possible. It is not a computer without PAE capability. But it is still interesting at this stage, when we have found which computer can boot and run idle, but not really do much work.

So it can be interesting to find if your wife's computer can do some work, or boot Trusty from USB

I suggest that you use 9w and try to install Lubuntu Core Trusty beta 1 to a USB {pendrive or HDD} of at least 4 GB. You can use any suitable computer for that task.

Then it would be very interesting to try booting both computers you describe from that USB drive:

- your wife's computer might boot directly, or it might need chainbooting via a Plop CD.

- your IBM Thinkpad. (I have a T42, it boots happily from USB, and it works well with this non-pae kernel as well as grub booting with the Trusty PAE kernel and fake-PAE or the new boot option forcepae for updating/upgrading the kernel. The lowest level of RAM in my T42 is 80 MB, set via the boot option mem=80M using the Trusty text screen version.)
    Last edited by sudodus; March 17th, 2014 at 04:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

@sudodus , all

I'm on my way to see if I can pick up some extra EDO.

Beans
    Distro

I got it up to 97MB EDO RAM (from 80MB) but it tells me now that NTLDR is missing ! lol

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast