Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

hey tuxcantfly can u pls build fedora 7 uNetbootin with ntfs read only driver. my image is on the ntfs drive & it doesnt recognize it. or can u pls tell me how can i make it recogznie it. i tried using the ntfs driver available on rpm.livn.org. wasnt able to successfully add to modules.cgz

cheers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by neo_timmy View Post
    hey tuxcantfly can u pls build fedora 7 uNetbootin with ntfs read only driver. my image is on the ntfs drive & it doesnt recognize it. or can u pls tell me how can i make it recogznie it. i tried using the ntfs driver available on rpm.livn.org. wasnt able to successfully add to modules.cgz

cheers
    The default Fedora netboot initrd doesn't support NTFS, and I'd rather not try modifying it too much or it'll break and become unmaintainable (I'd have to modify the initrd every time Fedora is updated). For now, what I'd do is boot the Ubuntu or Debian UNetbootin version, and allow it to proceed until it reaches the "partitioning" section, and there, shrink your NTFS partition and make a new (FAT32) partition, allow it to create the new partition, and before it actually starts installing, just reboot, and move the iso file over to the fat32 partition, and reboot back into the Fedora installer, that way you can get Fedora to recognize and install using the iso file. If all else fails, you can just tell it to fetch it from HTTP or FTP, though that'll probably take quite a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, everything was going great with the install, but now I'm stuck at a screen that says something to the effect of

6%
    Please Wait...

for the last hour.

I'm a little timid about trying to restart this thing if it's stuck (I have no CD drive on this laptop, so I don't wanna kill my windows install by accident) but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere at this point.

Any suggestions?

edit: nevermind. As is true with anything from computers to cars, the moment you try to get it fixed, it stops doing it. I just checked on it and it was at 67% doing something now.
    Last edited by Nephus; September 6th, 2007 at 05:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nephus View Post
    Well, everything was going great with the install, but now I'm stuck at a screen that says something to the effect of

6%
    Please Wait...

for the last hour.

I'm a little timid about trying to restart this thing if it's stuck (I have no CD drive on this laptop, so I don't wanna kill my windows install by accident) but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere at this point.

Any suggestions?
    Give it time. For some reason, while caching the files (downloading from the web), the counter remains at 6%. If you're on a DSL connection, it will stay there at 6% for around 2 hours, since it's downloading 700MB of files off the internet.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

I used UNetbootin to install xubuntu fiesty fawn on my computer last night and the install said it completed and then needed to reboot to start the system. I did this but the reboot gets to the starting up screen just like my Ubuntu install from Live CD that I have on another computer and then after a long pause it fires into a long string of text (i.e. starting networking [OK]). It stops after Loading local boot scripts [ok]. If I hit enter at this point it take me to a text log in which it accepts and then puts me at a command prompt.

I am a total noob to Linux and command line for that matter. I have been using Ubuntu on another machine and really like it. I wanted to load Xubuntu on this older machine to use an an internet tablet/email machine but I am totally stuck.

I have tried commands that other post suggested such as startx and sudo dpgk-reconfigure xserver-xorg to no avail. I need help and it need to be very basic as I am new to this. If this is a repeat of another post I am sorry I searched for an answer on my own last night for nearly 3 hours. Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cheapgadget1 View Post
    I used UNetbootin to install xubuntu fiesty fawn on my computer last night and the install said it completed and then needed to reboot to start the system. I did this but the reboot gets to the starting up screen just like my Ubuntu install from Live CD that I have on another computer and then after a long pause it fires into a long string of text (i.e. starting networking [OK]). It stops after Loading local boot scripts [ok]. If I hit enter at this point it take me to a text log in which it accepts and then puts me at a command prompt.

I am a total noob to Linux and command line for that matter. I have been using Ubuntu on another machine and really like it. I wanted to load Xubuntu on this older machine to use an an internet tablet/email machine but I am totally stuck.

I have tried commands that other post suggested such as startx and sudo dpgk-reconfigure xserver-xorg to no avail. I need help and it need to be very basic as I am new to this. If this is a repeat of another post I am sorry I searched for an answer on my own last night for nearly 3 hours. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Hmm strange, that isn't supposed to happen, for some reason every time it was reported it was when users were running xubuntu, I'll look into it... I have a hunch that for some reason the xubuntu-desktop packages weren't downloaded and installed...

Anyhow, for now, try doing this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    sudo killall gdm
    sudo gdm
    see if it works then

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Hmm strange, that isn't supposed to happen, for some reason every time it was reported it was when users were running xubuntu, I'll look into it... I have a hunch that for some reason the xubuntu-desktop packages weren't downloaded and installed...

Anyhow, for now, try doing this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    sudo killall gdm
    sudo gdm
    see if it works then
    Thanks tuxcantfly,
    I will try that when I get back in front of the computer. If it is at all helpful, I am having this problem on an HP Omnibook XE3, it has a 1Ghz Celeron Processor, and a 20G HDD, running 196 M Ram. Thanks again I will post the results as soon as I have them.
    Last edited by cheapgadget1; September 11th, 2007 at 09:35 PM.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast