Thread: Flashing the BIOS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Flashing the BIOS

Hey everyone I'm building my first computer and I was wondering if it would be worth it to flash the BIOS right off the bat? If the systems POSTs, then I was going to flash the BIOS so it's up to date. I'm a little leery of the whole ordeal though.

I would like to do that before installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I heard that you could flash the BIOS from a flash drive or CD.

The latest BIOS file can be found here: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/...s.php?S_ID=377

This is the board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138130

Do you just make a CD or flash drive bootable and include this file? Should I back up my BIOS before hand?

Thanks
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Flashing the BIOS

How To Instructions PDF File Found On This Page:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/...s.php?S_ID=377

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by LewRockwell View Post
    How To Instructions PDF File Found On This Page:

biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/...s.php?S_ID=377
    Your url got truncated ^
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-buntu View Post
    Do you just make a CD or flash drive bootable and include this file? Should I back up my BIOS before hand?

Thanks
    Look at the page where you can download the bios, there is a utility program (needs windows) and a .pdf file with instructions.

Beans
    Distro

Your url got truncated ^
    It should be the same url as the one you posted, so just use the link in your own post...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

::face palm::

What a noob. Thanks I'll look at that. What are your thoughts on flashing the BIOS? Is it a good idea? Shoud I be backing up the BIOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I read through the PDF. I'll have to install Windows 7 and Ubuntu before hand.

Beans
    Distro

::face palm::

What a noob. Thanks I'll look at that. What are your thoughts on flashing the BIOS? Is it a good idea? Shoud I be backing up the BIOS?
    It's a good idea if the new bios fixes a problem in the old bios, so why not...
    Backup? If the bios utility program have a backup function it may be a good idea, but you could probably just download a copy of the old bios...

Beans

Is there any reason you need to flash the BIOS, it is usually unnecessary and unless there is specific functionality you want to get there is really no need for it as there is a risk of corrupting your BIOS which will be a huge pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by omar8 View Post
    Is there any reason you need to flash the BIOS, it is usually unnecessary and unless there is specific functionality you want to get there is really no need for it as there is a risk of corrupting your BIOS which will be a huge pain.
    I figure if they've taken time to release a new edition of a BIOS, chances are it was to fix bugs of some sort. I'll have to find a change log if I can.