Page 9 of 171 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

UPDATE: I forwarded the port. Used the port found under Skype>Options>Connections

Made no difference. Sound I send is disastrous. The one I receive is close to perfect though.

Uhm what do you think can be the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarix View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

I can't modify the audio input as I only have 1 choice in the list (I used to have around 5 before doing the edits in the first post).

Code:
    Sound in: /dev/dsp
    Sound out: /dev/dsp
    Ringing: /dev/dsp
    Will try to forward a port on my ADSL router. BTW, I didn't have any probs with Skype when I had on Vista before I put Ubuntu, so I kinda believe it's not the router. Anyway I'm gonna give it a try.
    Ok, you're using the OSS version of skype (in Medibuntu, that's skype-oss-static). Try installing the package "skype" instead (that's the ALSA version). You do not need to use "padsp" for the ALSA version, so launch Skype normally.

When you run Skype, you'll see different options presented in Options/Sound Devices. Set "Sound In" to "pulse" and set "Sound Out" to your microphone device.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just to let you know that this workaround wont work if you have the game "Teeworlds" installed as it sounds like your in a fish tank when you shoot each other...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'd like to mention that Skype 2.0.0.68 works fine for me using ALSA's pcm_pulse plugin. My configuration is as follows:

Sound In: SiS SI7012 (hw:SI7012,0)
    Sound Out: pulse
    Ringing: pulse

My send packet loss is approximately 13-19%, but my recv packet loss is approximately 0.3-0.4%. My voice sounds just fine when I receive it from Skype Test Call, but the lady's voice telling instructions comes slightly jittered at times.

Beans

Has anyone had any luck with this HOWTO and a Dell docking station? I have the same sound card as the original poster, Psyke83, "Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)" in my Latitude D800, docked with the D/Port. But this howto does not fix my problems. I think it has something to do with audio coming out of the dock at line-level - an issue I had in Gutsy as well.

Currently, sound out of the laptop speakers themselves works fine, but I'm using external speakers connected to the dock.
    Disclaimer: All of my advice is guaranteed without exception to work. If you find my advice unsatisfactory, you didn't do it right.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Meson View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with this HOWTO and a Dell docking station? I have the same sound card as the original poster, Psyke83, "Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)" in my Latitude D800, docked with the D/Port. But this howto does not fix my problems. I think it has something to do with audio coming out of the dock at line-level - an issue I had in Gutsy as well.

Currently, sound out of the laptop speakers themselves works fine, but I'm using external speakers connected to the dock.
    Meson, so what is your problem? Stuttering sound, or simply no sound while connected to the external speakers?

Remember that PulseAudio is not a sound card driver, it picks up sound from ALSA. If your problem is with ALSA, configuring PulseAudio will not and cannot help.

If your problem is getting *any* sound, I suggest you forget about PulseAudio and start experimenting with the switches in "alsamixer" (many of which are hidden by default in the GNOME Volume Applet) to see if you can get sound working that way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Meson, so what is your problem? Stuttering sound, or simply no sound while connected to the external speakers?
    I guess stuttering is a good way to describe it. I've been saying it sounds like the speakers are blown out. My problem is not no sound at all.
    Disclaimer: All of my advice is guaranteed without exception to work. If you find my advice unsatisfactory, you didn't do it right.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Meson View Post
    I guess stuttering is a good way to describe it. I've been saying it sounds like the speakers are blown out. My problem is not no sound at all.
    I'm not sure how the docking station functions, e.g. if audio output uses a different device.

In the case of Part D (the EQ) in my HOWTO, it defines the device to use as "plughw", which basically means the default hw device, usually "hw0,0". If you can find out the proper hardware device it should be, try editing /etc/asound.conf, then replace "plughw" with "plughw:x,y" where x,y is the proper hardware device.

It's a bit messy, though.

How is your sound when using Windows?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hyperair View Post
    I'd like to mention that Skype 2.0.0.68 works fine for me using ALSA's pcm_pulse plugin. My configuration is as follows:

Sound In: SiS SI7012 (hw:SI7012,0)
    Sound Out: pulse
    Ringing: pulse

My send packet loss is approximately 13-19%, but my recv packet loss is approximately 0.3-0.4%. My voice sounds just fine when I receive it from Skype Test Call, but the lady's voice telling instructions comes slightly jittered at times.
    Adjusting the fragment values helps the jitter in Skype. As we talked about before, it seems skype opens and closes dozens of connection per second, and I have a feeling that a larger buffer means a longer wait for the buffer to be filled, causing sound to stutter as the connection keeps closing and reopening. Remember this is just a workaround for a bug, not a real fix .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kamitsukai View Post
    Just to let you know that this workaround wont work if you have the game "Teeworlds" installed as it sounds like your in a fish tank when you shoot each other...
    I just tried this game and it seems that it tries to directly connect to a hardware device. This is bad programming and means it bypasses PulseAudio. You should ask the authors to add proper support.

Edit: http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1221
    Last edited by psyke83; May 17th, 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Page 9 of 171 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast