Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert Ubuntu Server 9.04 to Virtual Machine

Beans

Thumbs up Convert Ubuntu Server 9.04 to Virtual Machine

Now system running OS Ubuntu 9.04 and App (Web service) on Physical H/W (dell server R300) ........... So i need to convert to on vmware esxi.....

I do solution
    1. vmware cold clone : error unknonw platform

2. vmware vconvert 3.5/ 4.2 /4.3 /5.0/ 5.5 : error between converter

If you can advise me for this solve problem .....
    Last edited by Thongrob; January 29th, 2014 at 09:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Convert Ubuntu Server 9.04 to Virtual Machine

Not an Ubuntu, Linux and Other OS Chat thread.

Thread moved to Virtualisation.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Thongrob View Post
    Now system running OS Ubuntu 9.04 and App (Web service) on Physical H/W (dell server R300) ........... So i need to convert to on vmware esxi.....

I do solution
    1. vmware cold clone : error unknonw platform

2. vmware vconvert 3.5/ 4.2 /4.3 /5.0/ 5.5 : error between converter

If you can advise me for this solve problem .....
    I'd probably just use Clonezilla to clone the drive to an image (somewhere on the network), then create a VM with the same size disk in ESXi and restore the image to it.

You'd probably have to mess with the network configuration, but that will probably be the easiest way to migrate the machine.

Note: 9.04 has been End of Life since October 23, 2010, so it might not work and you'd have to take a huge upgrade path to get on a supported release.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Convert Ubuntu Server 9.04 to Virtual Machine

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I'd probably just use Clonezilla to clone the drive to an image (somewhere on the network), then create a VM with the same size disk in ESXi and restore the image to it.

You'd probably have to mess with the network configuration, but that will probably be the easiest way to migrate the machine.

Note: 9.04 has been End of Life since October 23, 2010, so it might not work and you'd have to take a huge upgrade path to get on a supported release.
    Ok thank you for your answer

Now i test on the LAB before to do real system...... The VMware suggest to me upgrade ubuntu 9.04 to 10 upper but am not sure if upgrade new version impact to the old system and app//// ....

Frist i try to use clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah, definitely test it first on a cloned system and not the production box.

You would have to upgrade 9.04 -> 9.10 -> 10.04. I'm not sure if you can get to 12.04 directly from 10.04 or if you need to go thru 10.10 -> 11.04 -> 11.10 -> 12.04, but you should definitely test it out as 9.04 is ancient compared to 12.04.

Beans

Please help to suggest how to upgrad from 9.04 to 10.04 Command

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Beans

Hi Charles

Do you have idea for restore image to virtual machine on vmware esxi...(I'm not sure you have knowledge of esxi )

Now the image save to external HDD . when i create new virtual machine and map CD-ROM drive to ISO file of clonezilla but for the extrenal HDD have image cannot brow to host .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Thongrob View Post
    Hi Charles

Do you have idea for restore image to virtual machine on vmware esxi...(I'm not sure you have knowledge of esxi )

Now the image save to external HDD . when i create new virtual machine and map CD-ROM drive to ISO file of clonezilla but for the extrenal HDD have image cannot brow to host .
    Right, you would need to put it on a file share somewhere (or use Samba/NFS/ or SSH) because EXSi doesn't really support external devices.

If you have another box around, you can just install openssh-server on it and tell clonezilla the logon info and where the image is located. THat would probably be easier if you don't have Samba or whatever already set up.

I use Samba 90% of the time with Clonezilla because I am usually working with WIndows boxes.

Beans

Right, you would need to put it on a file share somewhere (or use Samba/NFS/ or SSH) because EXSi doesn't really support external devices.

If you have another box around, you can just install openssh-server on it and tell clonezilla the logon info and where the image is located. THat would probably be easier if you don't have Samba or whatever already set up.

I use Samba 90% of the time with Clonezilla because I am usually working with WIndows boxes.
    I'm not sure the clonezilla can clone OS on server have raid card also. but on the my lab it 's restore on vmware workstation is OK....

For SAMBA can use windows file sharing or NAS Storage Can use or not ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast