Page 113 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1334

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

I used this guide (bleeding edge/sect C) when installing jaunty on my laptop and it worked fine. Games (TORCS, yo frankie, neverputt), kde 4.2.4 effects were all ok. Then I upgraded to 4.3 and it was still fine. Meanwhile I now used The 2.6.30-10 kernel from Xorg-edgers repos and they worked fine, until I upgraded to kde 4.3.1.(or there abouts, batch of updated included a few things from xorg-edgers repos)

To the point, I now witness graphics corruption (mostly the lower panel flickering whenever a new window is opening), but everything else is fine. No slow downs, games work (with some flickering). I tried resetting my xorg.conf and after running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, nothing changed (even though this deleted all the line I added from this post) I enabled the fbdev module and it seems to have improved, but there's still some intrusive flickering especially on the panels and during redraws.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There are some complaints about the netbook-launcher, and compiz not playing nicely with each other. well, with the most recent xserver-xorg-video-intel package (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, using the ubuntu X repo mentioned with the bleeding edge section of this preformance guide), and the Kernel 2.6.31 rc7, makes the netbook-launcher usable under compiz.

Link to the kernel: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.31-rc8/

It works fine on my Eee pc 900

Beans

Should I use the 30.3 kernel posted in the guide or should I use a newer one?

This is on a msi wind u100 (gma 950). Tried the optimal modifications but so far no results. Video is still choppy, specially flash.

Should I go with the bleeding edge x or another kernel?
    Last edited by verv87; September 5th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by verv87 View Post
    Should I use the 30.3 kernel posted in the guide or should I use a newer one?

This is on a msi wind u100 (gma 950). Tried the optimal modifications but so far no results. Video is still choppy, specially flash.

Should I go with the bleeding edge x or another kernel?
    From personal experience I'd say that you might as well use the 30.5 kernel. For me the optimal setup worked like a charm, but then again I'm using a x3100 graphics chip on kubuntu without desktop effects.
    Life is what happens while you're making other plans....
    Desktop: AMD Athlon II x4 635, 4GB, GT240, 1TB
    Laptop: Dell XPS M1330, T5250, 2GB, x3100, 80 GB SSD, 4965AGN

Beans

After applying all the changes in optimal (30.3 kernel, mttr script, xorg.conf changes and the latest stable x drivers):
    Code:
    (WW) intel(0): libpciaccess reported 0 rom size, guessing 64kB
    (WW) intel(0): Register 0x61200 (PP_STATUS) changed from 0xc0000008 to 0xd0000009
    (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS before: on, ready, sequencing idle
    (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS after: on, ready, sequencing on
    (WW) intel(0): Register 0x61110 (PORT_HOTPLUG_EN) changed from 0x00000000 to 0x00000020
    (WW) intel(0): Register 0x71024 (PIPEBSTAT) changed from 0x00000202 to 0x80000202
    (WW) intel(0): PIPEBSTAT before: status: VSYNC_INT_STATUS VBLANK_INT_STATUS
    (WW) intel(0): PIPEBSTAT after: status: FIFO_UNDERRUN VSYNC_INT_STATUS VBLANK_INT_STATUS
    (WW) intel(0): ESR is 0x00000001, instruction error
    (WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.
    (WW) intel(0): Option "EXAOptimizeMigration" is not used
    (WW) intel(0): Option "MigrationHeuristic" is not used
    Output from fixmttr script:
    Code:
    Extracing base address and memory size from lspci -v
    c0000000

Supplying corrected MTRR ranges to /proc/mtrr
    doing nothing, MTRR range already set up
    reg00: base=0x000000000 (    0MB), size= 1024MB, count=1: write-back
    reg01: base=0x03f700000 ( 1015MB), size=    1MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg02: base=0x03f800000 ( 1016MB), size=    8MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg03: base=0x0c0000000 ( 3072MB), size=  256MB, count=1: write-combining
    This is on a msi wind u100 with a gma 950. I can't ppracer -a, although I can play the actual game. Enabling UXA made everything (flash, video, ppracer) significantly slower. Help?
    Last edited by verv87; September 6th, 2009 at 05:50 AM.

Beans

hi, sorry if this is a repeat. I had trouble with watching stuff full screen off the internet. fixmtrr.sh in etc/init.d with the correct permissions seems to have fixed it, thanks. I'm currently using workarounds for my wireless (rtl8187b) and graphics (mobile GM965/GL960). does anyone have permanent fixes? is it worth the hassle or does anyone know if this will be fixed in the next release? I'm new to all this, so thanks for any replies.

also, for some reason windows wont install functionally on my hard disk (my laptop used to have it, but I think I have a faulty hard disk) yet, linux (mint 5,6,7, ubuntu, kubuntu, suse, bt3, bt4, knoppix etc) seems to have no problem, anyone know why this might be? (i'd like to have a dual boot system with windos, currently I have to run it as a virtual machine). thanks.

Beans

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by verv87 View Post
    If flash is choppy I think you should find your problems elsewhere. I've got a AA1 110L, which uses the same CPU as yours. The problem is the ondemand speed stepping.

Try to add the CPU frequency scaling icon to your panel and check if the CPU stays at 800MHz. It does so on both my AA1 and my wifes.

You can the manually select the CPU frequency by leftclicking the icon.

I find it amazing that this problem seems to get very little attention. There are a few posting on this, try to search "choppy flash" and you will find a few.

BR,
    René

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reesje View Post
    If flash is choppy I think you should find your problems elsewhere. I've got a AA1 110L, which uses the same CPU as yours. The problem is the ondemand speed stepping.
    Check this link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=up_threshold

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reesje View Post
    Check this link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=up_threshold

Beans

Hi,

Thanks very much for the guide, its comprehensive, and easy to follow (which is much more appreciated than some of the other resources I have found!). I'm having a problem with one of the steps on the guide though, section B part 2, the terminal command

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com AF1CDFA9

does not appear to work, I get a time out, as follows:

$ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com AF1CDFA9
    [sudo] password for mark:
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com AF1CDFA9
    gpg: requesting key AF1CDFA9 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: keyserver timed out
    gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Page 113 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast