Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install webcam Logitech quickcam e2500

Beans

How to install webcam Logitech quickcam e2500

Hello! my husband got me a webcam as a gift but we are having trouble installing it with Ubuntu 8.10 the make of the webcam is Logitech quickcam e2500 i am just learning how to use linux so i am not sure on how to install this webcam so any advice would be grate. Thanks!!

Beans

Re: How to install webcam Logitech quickcam e2500

Hi,

Do you want this webcam for skype and other video messaging services? or do you want it for something else (can't think of anything at the moment)

Laurie
    Launchpad Questions for Ubuntu

I use the latest release of kde. And yet I am still at peace with myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by laurielegit View Post
    something else
    Cheese?

Beans

lol, ok then, skype it is.

I found this in a guide here: http://www.actionshrimp.com/2008/08/...-ubuntu-skype/

First, download the drivers and the patch:

Code:
    wget http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz
    wget http://forums.quickcamteam.net/attachment.php?aid=86 -O patch.tar.gz
    Then extract and apply the patch:

(UPDATE: For Ubuntu 8.10 users, this patch may no longer work. Try downloading the patch here instead, and then extract it using gzip -d gspcapatch.gz. Apply the extracted file in the same was as below, just neglect the -p1 switch, (so do: patch < gspcapatch), you can just ignore the tar -xvf patch.tar.gz command).

Code:
    tar -xvf gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz
    tar -xvf patch.tar.gz
    cd gspcav1-20071224
    patch -p1 < ../quickcamE2500.diff
    There’s a handy build script included with the drivers so just run that (requires root):

Code:
    sudo ./gspca_build
    This generates the file

Code:
    gspca.ko
    which we use to replace the old gspca module.
    Check to see if the old module is loaded, you should see something like:

Code:
    dave@baracus:~$ lsmod | grep gspca
    gspca                 680656  0
    videodev               29440  1 gspca
    usbcore               146028  9 gspca,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usb_storage,usbhid,libusual,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
    We want to find out where it is, so do the following:

Code:
    sudo rmmod gspca
    sudo modprobe -v gspca
    You should see something like:

Code:
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/ubuntu/media/gspcav1/gspca.ko
    That is the location of the file we’re looking for, so, replacing where appropriate with what was output for you above, type:

Code:
    sudo rmmod gspca
    sudo rm /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/ubuntu/media/gspcav1/gspca.ko
    sudo mv gspca.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/ubuntu/media/gspcav1/
    sudo modprobe gspca
    This should have loaded the new module in place of the old one. See if you have a video device:

Code:
    dave@baracus:~$ ls /dev/video*
    /dev/video0
    You can try and run Skype now, and in fact, if you’re not using the camera for Skype, this may well be enough. But for the Skype users: see if you get any picture by testing in the video devices option menu (be warned, it can take a little while to show up there after skype loads, and a little while for the picture to show when you press the test button, so be patient). If anything show’s up at all that’s a plus. (UPDATE: If you’re using Ubuntu 8.10, and have used the alternative patch I posted in the other “UPDATE:” bracket above, the webcam may still not work in Skype at this point. There seems to be some issue with permissions in this version of the driver, so you may need to run skype as root if it doesn’t appear to be working. In a terminal type “sudo skype” and hit enter. It’ll ask for your root password, then launch skype. See if the webcam works now).

Originally, I had a black image, so I assumed the camera wasn’t working, but I soon realised that the image was there, just very dark - shining a light on it showed this was the case. I tried fiddling around with gstfakevideo for a while to try and alter the output, but there was a much simpler solution. The gspca driver itself can take options, and an autoexposure setting was ruining my lighting. To fix this, edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/options, and add a line at the bottom:

Code:
    options gspca gamma=1 autoexpo=0
    The gamma=1 may not be necessary, but if it still appears too dark or too light for your taste you can change this parameter as you like. Finally, reload the module:

Code:
    sudo rmmod gspca
    sudo modprobe gspca
    and try out skype again. Hopefully it works!

I ran into quite a lot of other problems while I was trying this out, so if you come across any errors, drop a comment below and I’ll try and get back to you asap.

UPDATE: I found a large problem when using the camera in Skype was that CPU usage would shoot up to 100%, causing things to freeze up and conversations to crash after a while. I had played around with gstfakevideo a bit when trying to get the camera to work originally, and it seems using this when the camera already ‘works’ means it uses up far less CPU. I haven’t had a chance to test it for a long period yet but it seems like it should do the trick. Here’s what I did:

First, download gstfakevideo using subversion (you may need to install the subversion package, sudo apt-get subversion probably does the trick, and then the command below will make a directory called gstfakevideo in your current location, so make sure it’s somewhere nice), then compile and install it:

[/code]svn checkout http://gstfakevideo.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ gstfakevideo
    cd gstfakevideo
    make
    sudo make install[/code]

gstfakevideo creates a new video stream using your webcam, which is formatted differently and skype seems to get along with it more. The only problem is, it outputs its stream to /dev/video0 which is where our webcam currently lives. So we have to move the webcam, but this is easy enough:

Code:
    sudo mv /dev/video0 /dev/video1
    (Actually, gstfakevideo seems to work for me with lower CPU without moving this - but try it moved first anyway). Watch out though, every time you reboot, your webcam will probably go to /dev/video0 by default, assuming you have no other video devices, so you will have to move stuff about to make a space in video0 each time. Now we see if it works:

Code:
    gstfakevideo v4lsrc device=/dev/video1 ! ffmpegcolorspace
    What this does is runs gstfakevideo, telling it that the source we’re using is a v4l source, and its from /dev/video1. The ffmpegcolorspace argument seems to be for making the stream YUV instead of RGB for some cameras so may not be necessary. It then launches skype, with hopefully the output below:

Code:
    dave@baracus:~$ gstfakevideo v4lsrc device=/dev/video1 ! ffmpegcolorspace
    gst.c create_pipeline (155): pipeline created
    gst.c create_pipeline (159): pipeline linked
    If you look in the skype video options now there will be no camera listed. You have to wait a while (it can take 30s or so), until you get some output, ending with something like:

Code:
    gst.c shim_ioctl (201): request=803c7601 nr 1
    gst.c shim_ioctl (208): VIDIOCGCAP
    gst.c shim_ioctl (313): result=0 error=0 Success
    Now a camera should show up in the video menu in skype, with a name like GStreamer fake video (/dev/video0). Try it out, and compare your CPU performance to before. Also try exiting skype, and moving your video source from /dev/video1 back to video0, and running gstfakevideo again, only with device=/dev/video0, and see if it works (and let me know your findings below!).

Finally if gstfakevideo works, we can clean it up so the command isn’t so long to type. The script should be stored in:

Code:
    /usr/local/bin/gstfakevideo
    (Can check this using):

Code:
    dave@baracus:~$ whereis gstfakevideo
    gstfakevideo: /usr/local/bin/gstfakevideo
    So we edit this file (requires root):

Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/gstfakevideo
    Now, find the line that looks like this:

Code:
    export GST_PIPE="videotestsrc is-live=true ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=10/1 ! videoscale ! ffmpegcolorspace ! vertigotv ! ffmpegcolorspace"
    and change it to (remember where you put your webcam source - if you moved it back to /dev/video0, change the device parameter accordingly):

Code:
    export GST_PIPE="v4lsrc device=/dev/video1 ! ffmpegcolorspace"
    and finally look a bit further down, and delete the line:

Code:
    export GST_PIPE="$*"
    Now Skype will launch with your faked video stream, just from the command gstfakevideo. Good luck! Let me know how you get on.
    Post here if you need any help with these instuctions.

Good luck,

Laurie
    Launchpad Questions for Ubuntu

I use the latest release of kde. And yet I am still at peace with myself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laurielegit View Post
    Hi,

Do you want this webcam for skype and other video messaging services? or do you want it for something else (can't think of anything at the moment)

Laurie
    Yes i would like to use it for skype and other video messaging services i have family back home that have webcams but i can't use it as i have tried to install it but it won't see it i don't know why i have install some softwear from my ubuntu disc but even that does not help much with my webcam so if you can help i will be very grateful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by channie2009 View Post
    Yes i would like to use it for skype and other video messaging services i have family back home that have webcams but i can't use it as i have tried to install it but it won't see it i don't know why i have install some softwear from my ubuntu disc but even that does not help much with my webcam so if you can help i will be very grateful.
    look at the howto that was posted here above. It looks abnormally long but that may just because it is very careful and detailed.. which is a good thing

Beans

Hey there. I just followed the above tutorial, and all seemed to work fine. There is now a video device under /dev/video0 but, nothing picks it up. I have tried cheese and skype, but both say there is no cam present, even after restarting. Does anyone know any other tutorials or ways to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

UDATE:
    By running
    Code:
    ls /dev/video*
    I get /dev/video0, so something must be there. When I unplug the cam I get a no such file or directory message.

UPDATE2:
    I ran gstreamer-properties to see if I could test the camera but I get an error that says:
    Code:
    Video for Linux 2 (v4l2): Could not open device "/dev/video0" for reading and writing.
    I get this for video for linux and video for linux 2

Ok, I have fixed the above access error by running skype/gstreamer-properties as root, not best way but the best I can see.
    Last edited by uru wolf; March 11th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How about how to install webcam logitech quickcam express plus ? I got it halfway working...that is, anywhere but Skype, using gstfakevideo......intrepid on a netvista P4
    "What senses do we lack, that we cannot see[...] a world all around us?" F. Herbert, DUNE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you sure you need to install any drivers for it? My logitech cams did not need any manually installed drivers as of Ubuntu 8.10 as they are part of the kernel.
    It works out of the box, I just have to choose the webcam and microphone in Skype (or whatever app it is used for).

See also: http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...-for-everyone/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to install webcam Logitech quickcam express plus

Well, I just got it working. What a learning experience!

I combined things from this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by JBotAlan View Post
    gstfakevideo did it for me.

I honestly cannot remember how I installed it. I may have gotten it through Synaptic Package Manager, but I vaguely recall downloading it and compiling it by hand. But I might be lying...don't quote me on this one.

However, I ran gstfakevideo (after poking around in the script for a bit to figure out how it works) as follows:
    Code:
    gstfakevideo v4l2src device=/dev/video1
    I didn't even know v4l2src was an option until reading a lot. v4lsrc would never work properly, but v4l2src works great. Skype launched, I clicked "Test", and it is beautiful.

Note: my camera is on /dev/video1. I did that by executing
    Code:
    sudo mv /dev/video0 /dev/video1
    Since apparently gstfakevideo cannot work with any other device than /dev/video0.

Hopefully that works for others. And hopefully at some point Skype will fix this so it works natively.

Oi! Linux is fun!
    JBot
    Now I need to get my webcam to STAY on /dev/video1 AND I need to close my terminal. Do I create a desktop or menu launcher?...to be continued...

edit: oops! it stopped working, the launcher does, though.

Ah. it was too dark. Adjust the webcam with Xawtv prior to using Skype with the gstfakevideo launcher. Don't forget to switch the paths back and forth.
    Last edited by Aviendha09; March 27th, 2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: new solution
    "What senses do we lack, that we cannot see[...] a world all around us?" F. Herbert, DUNE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast