Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i5 Integrated GMA HD Laptop!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Angry i5 Integrated GMA HD Laptop!

I just bought a Dell Inspiron laptop. This is currently being used as a desktop replacement. The CPU is the intel i5 quad core with a GMA HD integrated graphic. I've been searching my hair out and can't find anything related to this specific card and ubuntu. I've installed Karmic and it displays 1600 by 900 fine. The problem Im having is that video played on movie player is extremely choppy. Youtube video is a bit better but not great. I did a system update and my xorg has a -intel prefix.

From time to time, my computer locks up when I perform certain tasks. For eample, glxgears will not display and lock up my computer. Compiz does not work. Im getting extremely frustrated. A brand new computer having trouble with ubuntu?

I've checked System>Administration>Hardware Drivers but there is nothing listed.

Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: i5 Integrated GMA HD Laptop!

Probably start a flame war here but-integrated cards and specifically the intels are not seen as very good in performance terms-if compiz doesn't work though perhaps xorg isn't set up correctly? You can look at the Ubuntu community video info here or you may want to look at this guide to be sure your media dependent apps are set up right.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro

I have to disagree because it came with windows 7 out of the box and video ran perfectly on it. Sorry but that link you sent me had no info on the intel GMA HD. I think I have the wrong xorg installed but I'm not sure how to change that. If anyone has experience with this chipset/laptop, please chime in. I've gone off windows for over a year and I dont want to go back!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phidia View Post
    Probably start a flame war here but-integrated cards and specifically the intels are not seen as very good in performance terms-if compiz doesn't work though perhaps xorg isn't set up correctly? You can look at the Ubuntu community video info here or you may want to look at this guide to be sure your media dependent apps are set up right.
    The intel cards are awesome. Sure you can't run certain high-end games on them, but they run OpenGL, Compiz, and other effects perfectly fine (I'm using compiz on an 865 at work, and have used on a 950 and x3100 at home).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post
    The intel cards are awesome. Sure you can't run certain high-end games on them, but they run OpenGL, Compiz, and other effects perfectly fine (I'm using compiz on an 865 at work, and have used on a 950 and x3100 at home).
    How did you get it to work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkerlink View Post
    I just bought a Dell Inspiron laptop. This is currently being used as a desktop replacement. The CPU is the intel i5 quad core with a GMA HD integrated graphic. I've been searching my hair out and can't find anything related to this specific card and ubuntu. I've installed Karmic and it displays 1600 by 900 fine. The problem Im having is that video played on movie player is extremely choppy. Youtube video is a bit better but not great. I did a system update and my xorg has a -intel prefix.
    The new i5 CPUs actually have the integrated graphics core on the CPU itself, which should help with performance (since the memory controller is also on the CPU). Heat-dissipation should be improved too, which I'm jealous about as I've got an nVidia furnace in my current laptop.

Intel actually started adding support for these new graphics chips long before they were released to makret, so there should be basic support already. But as you noticed, it is buggy. Considering the driver 9.10 uses was released in September and the chips themselves only recently, it is not that surprising.

There are some PPAs that contain updated drivers. There is the xorg-edgers drivers-only PPA, which should be fairly stable. It has -intel 2.9.1 from October, so a bit more recent.

There is an x-updates ppa, but it doesn't seem to have anything that will help you. (for 9.10, just a mesa update for 32-bit GL on 64-bit systems).

There is also a main xorg-edgers ppa, but it probably WILL break something (that is somewhat the point of this PPA) so I don't really recommend using it.

From time to time, my computer locks up when I perform certain tasks. For eample, glxgears will not display and lock up my computer. Compiz does not work. Im getting extremely frustrated. A brand new computer having trouble with ubuntu?
    Phoronix ran an article called Intel Clarkdale Linux Graphics Performance where they benchmarked a desktop-version of the i5. They had a few crashes as well with a few games, but had success with compiz. They were running a test release of Ubuntu 10.04 (not recommended) with a manually-installed kernel and intel driver (doubly-so).

I can't really recommend much other than trying the drivers-only PPA, and hoping that by 10.04 the support for this card is improved.

I've checked System>Administration>Hardware Drivers but there is nothing listed.
    This is typically only for closed-source drivers and firmware (nvidia, broadcom, etc) since Open-Source drivers are enabled out of the box.

Beans

How did you get it to work?
    It just does. Older cards have the advantage of being better tested. Your card was released after 9.10 was released, so support is not quite as good. Intel is trying to get driver updates out before the cards, but considering there are bugs with cards that have been out for years, you can imagine issues with supporting unreleased hardware.

Beans

I've always understood that with Linux the latest hardware isn't always the best. If you stay a generation or two behind though, it should run pretty well. If you have to have the latest and greatest- then in some cases it's probably the best bet to stick w/ Windows.

BM

Beans

I can't really recommend much other than trying the drivers-only PPA, and hoping that by 10.04 the support for this card is improved.
    Actually, looks like 2.9.1 didn't add anything that will help you: wiki, announcement.

Beans
    Distro

It just does. Older cards have the advantage of being better tested. Your card was released after 9.10 was released, so support is not quite as good. Intel is trying to get driver updates out before the cards, but considering there are bugs with cards that have been out for years, you can imagine issues with supporting unreleased hardware.
    I added that PPA to my sources and upgraded xserver-xorg-video-intel . Tried to apply desktop effects and it still locks up. I suppose I will just have to wait for Lucid and HOPE it is supported? Sorry for the newbish, when is lucid coming out and do you think intel will have x running by then?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast