Thread: [Need Help]Live Customized Lightweight Linux Environment[/Need Help]

Beans

Lightbulb [Need Help]Live Customized Lightweight Linux Environment[/Need Help]

Salaam.

I hope you're all doing alright. I'll be straight forward with my concerns and questions.
    I'm looking to use a live lightweight linux environment that's bootable from cd, sd card, usb flash drive or external hdd. I'd like this live environment to be preconfigured for my machine(resolution/drivers/themes) with applications of my choosing already installed(virtualbox etc). I was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind pointing me towards a decent lightweight linux distro, and maybe explain how I could go about customizing it for my needs before creating the live disc image. For the most part, I plan to use the live environment to launch virtual machines from an external hdd.
    All help is appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by closed source; November 12th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.

Beans

Re: [Need Help]Live Customized Lightweight Linux Environment[/Need Help]

Debian has a tool called "live-build" that works also in Ubuntu, which allows you to build a custom debian/ubuntu build for live booting. It's command-line, but relatively simple for building a basic system. If you can figure out using apt-get, you can probably figure out live-build.

A manual for live build can be found here:

http://live.debian.net/manual-2.x/ht...manual.en.html

It's in the repositories as "live-build".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Debian has a tool called "live-build" that works also in Ubuntu, which allows you to build a custom debian/ubuntu build for live booting. It's command-line, but relatively simple for building a basic system. If you can figure out using apt-get, you can probably figure out live-build.

A manual for live build can be found here:

http://live.debian.net/manual-2.x/ht...manual.en.html

It's in the repositories as "live-build".
    Thanks. Looks like just the tool I need. Do you have any recommendations for a lightweight linux distro? Or should I just build up my own lightweight system from a debian base?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by closed source View Post
    Thanks. Looks like just the tool I need. Do you have any recommendations for a lightweight linux distro? Or should I just build up my own lightweight system from a debian base?
    Go have a look at crunchbang, should give you a decent base to build from.

Beans

The tool doesn't really allow you to start from an existing distro base; you start with a generic debian or ubuntu install, and build up from there.

It really depends on how much customization you want. If you know what desktop you want, starting with a base like debian is the best approach.

Beans

Salaam.

I hope you're all doing alright. I'll be straight forward with my concerns and questions.
    I'm looking to use a live lightweight linux environment that's bootable from cd, sd card, usb flash drive or external hdd. I'd like this live environment to be preconfigured for my machine(resolution/drivers/themes) with applications of my choosing already installed(virtualbox etc). I was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind pointing me towards a decent lightweight linux distro, and maybe explain how I could go about customizing it for my needs before creating the live disc image. For the most part, I plan to use the live environment to launch virtual machines from an external hdd.
    All help is appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Install Easypeasy 1.6 and you'd have your distro you can carry in your pocket. Very fast, faster than the newer distros.