Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd activity worries me

Beans

Odd activity worries me

The most recent posts here worry me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...966370&page=21

First complaints not at all related to my thread and then a "one beaner" thanking me!

If it don't smell right ask for another opinion, eh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Odd activity worries me

lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2Stoned View Post
    lol
    After the big hack I don't see where "lol" applies.

I'm more inclined to think "wtf".

Maybe someone is using my old thread to try and crash the forums again, and in this case I'd rather cry wolf than just ignore it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It looks like what the staff refers to as a "proto-spam". A little nugget someone leaves scattered around here and there so they can come back later to edit them into spam posts. Do it 10 times and hope one gets missed.

You can always report the post for staff attention.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    After the big hack I don't see where "lol" applies.

I'm more inclined to think "wtf".

Maybe someone is using my old thread to try and crash the forums again, and in this case I'd rather cry wolf than just ignore it.
    Don't get me wrong, i wasn't lol because of the hacking or your post. I was laughing because of your reaction towards the ''one bean'' guy thanking you. The hack of the ubuntu forums was not funny at all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 2Stoned View Post
    .... I was laughing because of your reaction towards the ''one bean'' guy thanking you. The hack of the ubuntu forums was not funny at all!
    It seems harder to tell about bean counts since the hack. So many folks seem to have lost their original accounts with the new SSO.

But you're right Kansasnoob, "Barney's" comment makes no sense.
    Last edited by Buntu Bunny; September 7th, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@kansasnoob, I can understand your concern. After the recent security breach we are extra cautious about anything that seems odd or out of the ordinary. I myself have recently pursued what on the surface appeared to be a couple of suspicious and related occurrences but which on investigation turned out to be quite innocent. And on looking at the posts that concern you I think they are most likely to be innocent too, although I am not complacent.

The first of the two posters posted to what they thought was a relevant thread – but I agree with you that it wasn't – and then drifted off at a tangent in their second post with an unrelated question. I don't think this reveals malicious intent, merely a lack of experience into the best way of using a forum. We see a lot of this – it's nothing new. I've split their two posts plus yours and cariboo907's helpful replies into a new thread so as not to have yours derailed. It's here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2172925

The new member first-time thankyou post – we see a lot of those too. Many are probably exactly what they appear to be – courteous people who like to give thanks for something they found useful, and join up to say so. Others turn out to be spammers, as QIII says. We keep an eye on them when they come to our attention!

Thanks for bringing this up though. I can understand why the coincidence of two unexpected posters would have worried you.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @kansasnoob, I can understand your concern. After the recent security breach we are extra cautious about anything that seems odd or out of the ordinary. I myself have recently pursued what on the surface appeared to be a couple of suspicious and related occurrences but which on investigation turned out to be quite innocent. And on looking at the posts that concern you I think they are most likely to be innocent too, although I am not complacent.

The first of the two posters posted to what they thought was a relevant thread – but I agree with you that it wasn't – and then drifted off at a tangent in their second post with an unrelated question. I don't think this reveals malicious intent, merely a lack of experience into the best way of using a forum. We see a lot of this – it's nothing new. I've split their two posts plus yours and cariboo907's helpful replies into a new thread so as not to have yours derailed. It's here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2172925

The new member first-time thankyou post – we see a lot of those too. Many are probably exactly what they appear to be – courteous people who like to give thanks for something they found useful, and join up to say so. Others turn out to be spammers, as QIII says. We keep an eye on them when they come to our attention!

Thanks for bringing this up though. I can understand why the coincidence of two unexpected posters would have worried you.
    Thank you. At this point I'd rather be cautious than complacent. Had I been at all sure there was a spam attack or something of that nature I would have used the "report" button, but I was unsure so I asked for the opinions of minds that I know work much better than mine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    It seems harder to tell about bean counts since the hack. So many folks seem to have lost their original accounts with the new SSO.

But you're right Kansasnoob, "Barney's" comment makes no sense.
    I hadn't thought about that, but you're right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Thank you. At this point I'd rather be cautious than complacent. Had I been at all sure there was a spam attack or something of that nature I would have used the "report" button, but I was unsure so I asked for the opinions of minds that I know work much better than mine
    We'd much rather you report it and it be nothing

Feel free to report things if you're unsure.

If nothing happens immediately - we're either thinking about it or not going to take any action. Generally reports get looked at within 15 minutes in my experience. Sometimes you'll not even be able to finish a report

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast