Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu 12.04 only SOMETIMES stalls entering XFCE?

Beans

Xubuntu 12.04 only SOMETIMES stalls entering XFCE?

Just curious why my install of Xubuntu 12.04 on a DELL Lattitude D420 only sometimes hangs during login. It just displays the background of the login screen (after correct credentials are provided). I can move the mouse, but hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing.

I can still use ALT+CTRL+F1 to enter TTY1, login, and sudo reboot now. After as many as 3 reboots, I am finally allowed to enter the GUI desktop.

I thought it was the PHC kernel that was the culprit, but even the up-to-date 12.04 kernel sometimes won't enter the XFCE desktop. No SD card is inserted, nothing in the USB slots, battery is fully charged and units is connected via AC adapter. Can anyone clue me in?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu 12.04 only SOMETIMES stalls entering XFCE?

Might be a problem with your network (or maybe a bug in Network Manager). Double-check that, because that's what that sounds like to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello pakopako2 and welcome to the forums.

In addition to what rai_shu2 notes:

The hidden log file .xsession-errors in your home folder might provide a clue as to what is happening. After you login successfully, post a copy of $HOME/.xsession-errors.old (the .old file is for the previous session that hung) so we can see what is going on. Since the file is hidden, you will have to "Ctrl+H" in thunar to show hidden files to be able to see it. If pastebinit is installed, the following command will post the contents of the file up to paste.ubuntu.com for easy reading:
    Code:
    pastebinit $HOME/.xsession-errors.old
    ...and post back the link that is generated.

The other thing you might want to try, before you log in, is to clear your saved sessions cache by going to the first tty and entering the following commands:
    Code:
    cd .cache
    rm -rf sessions
    ...maybe the saved sessions cache is somehow corrupted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rai_shu2 View Post
    Might be a problem with your network (or maybe a bug in Network Manager). Double-check that, because that's what that sounds like to me.
    Huh. How would I check my network? I ask specifically because the OS is installed on a laptop and is normally offline (with its wireless and bluetooth shut off in the BIOS).

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    The hidden log file .xsession-errors in your home folder might provide a clue as to what is happening. After you login successfully, post a copy of $HOME/.xsession-errors.old (the .old file is for the previous session that hung) so we can see what is going on.
    The other thing you might want to try, before you log in, is to clear your saved sessions cache...maybe the saved sessions cache is somehow corrupted.
    Hi Toz. (Dang it, I want my old name back.)
    The command-line generated this url: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6030416/

It looks rather daunting with all the "resource unavailable" and "$home not available" phrases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pakopako2 View Post
    Hi Toz. (Dang it, I want my old name back.)
    Are you referring to your original username? If so, please create a thread in the Resolution Centre and one of the admins will take care of that for you.
    The command-line generated this url: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6030416/

It looks rather daunting with all the "resource unavailable" and "$home not available" phrases.
    Yes, it doesn't look good. Have you tried clearing your sessions cache? Did it make a difference?

Beans

I don't know. I had to reboot at some point yesterday and entered Xubuntu GUI with no problems.
    Today, I might have hit something, but somehow I wound up in tty1 during log-in. I switched to tty7 only to see nothing, so another sudo reboot now and things work OK again.

If it ever happens again, I'll run pastebininit and compare it with my original to see what's overlapped. This isn't a "big" issue -- I am just curious why Xubuntu does this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am just curious why Xubuntu does this.
    Everytime that this has happened to me, its been because of a corrupt sessions cache. Deleting $HOME/.cache/sessions always cleared it up for me.

Beans

Well, now all I get hit with are crashed account-manager errors every now and then upon login. (This is after the latest image update to x.x.52)
    It doesn't stop anything, just that (!) in the corner showing up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pako Pako View Post
    Well, now all I get hit with are crashed account-manager errors every now and then upon login. (This is after the latest image update to x.x.52)
    It doesn't stop anything, just that (!) in the corner showing up.
    What exactly is the error message? A copy of $HOME/.xsession-errors might be helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    What exactly is the error message? A copy of $HOME/.xsession-errors might be helpful.
    Okie-doke. Much like the old log-in lock-ups, these "account-daemon" errors are random too. But at least they happen after a successful login. (Hm. When do record from paste.ubuntu.com expire? My name and IP address are included in some of these reports.)

Here is the .xsession-errors.old:
    Code:
    openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
    cannot connect to brltty at :0

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2223): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2223): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:162: GtkWarning: Cannot transform xsetting Net/IconThemeName of type gchararray to type GdkColor

'gtk-icon-theme-name')
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:162: Warning: g_value_unset: assertion `G_IS_VALUE (value)' failed
      'gtk-icon-theme-name')
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:162: GtkWarning: Cannot transform xsetting Net/IconThemeName of type gchararray to type gint

'gtk-icon-theme-name')
    WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-VHLMwN/pkcs11: No such file or directory

(xfce4-settings-helper:2252): xfce4-settings-helper-WARNING **: Failed to get the _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS property.
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:137: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates_libgtk_only: assertion `private->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
      gtk.main()

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:2303): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:2303): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:2303): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed
    Error: No running window found
    thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
    Here's this session's error-long, though it doesn't seem to include the account-daemon crash that I reported.
    Code:
    openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
    cannot connect to brltty at :0

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2307): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2307): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-0W7SIO/pkcs11: No such file or directory
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:162: GtkWarning: Cannot transform xsetting Net/IconThemeName of type gchararray to type GdkColor

'gtk-icon-theme-name')
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:162: Warning: g_value_unset: assertion `G_IS_VALUE (value)' failed
      'gtk-icon-theme-name')
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:162: GtkWarning: Cannot transform xsetting Net/IconThemeName of type gchararray to type gint

'gtk-icon-theme-name')

(xfce4-settings-helper:2359): xfce4-settings-helper-WARNING **: Failed to get the _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS property.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:2395): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:2395): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:2395): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Getting layout failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface `com.canonical.dbusmenu' on object at path /com/canonical/indicator/messages/menu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast