Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants to test MIR?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Who wants to test MIR?

Oh boy! Purging XE made Mir PPA take over over quite a bunch of stuff...
    Investigating further...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Mir is not essentially wayland.
    I never said so. I said that Xmir is essentially the leveraged Xwayland code; and thats not my word, thats the mir dev who is talking.
    (Currently mir is nothing but xmir which is essentially xwayland so practically you could say that mir essntially is (or a minuscule part of) wayland).

In that buisness things moved fast. Stuff got obsoleted real quick. As an Ubuntu tester I like to keep moving along , not sitting on somebodies vaporware concept.
    You said that wayland never really came into being and now you call it vaporware; thats what I am against. Qtwayland is working fine, xwayland is working fine, gtk backend is in finishing stages, and wayland version 1 (with backward compatibility) is already out. Don't call wayland vaporware. Wayland is the industry standard; mir is just an exception (and is just vaporware at this stage).

I don't know why people think bitching about wayland will somehow justifiy canonical's decision. Untill now no one was able to come up with any valid technical reason/justification/relavance for the project.

This quote is from Daniel Stone (https://plus.google.com/100409717163...ts/jDq6BAgdpkG in the comments section)
    Funny that you should heckle Wayland for being unfinished when Mir is a few linked lists and one glDrawArrays() call, nothing more.
    In Mark shuttleworth's own words, it is fine you want to move along but why poison the well behind you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    I never said so. I said that Xmir is essentially the leveraged Xwayland code; and thats not my word, thats the mir dev who is talking.
    (Currently mir is nothing but xmir which is essentially xwayland so practically you could say that mir essntially is (or a minuscule part of) wayland).

You said that wayland never really came into being and now you call it vaporware; thats what I am against.
    You are taking me out of context. I use 'vaporware" or 'phantomware' in a broader sense. Ok .. where the E'll is wayland then? Last I looked we have xserver. I tested wayland back a while ago. I see lots of stuff in the repos but it hasn't been actually adopted as in practice... I ran the weston compostior yesterday .. and you call this a working server??

Ok ... in all fairness I'll say this .. I choose not to use the weston compositor. It is just too bleak for me and although that may just be my personal opinion it is not misinformation.

...as for <in your words> ( bitching)... I am just a volunteer beta tester here. I am just trying to test what is comming out , what is current. Mir is the cutting edge right now. I just can't handle looking at the weston compo screen of an old blanket of some sort.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 8th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    You said that wayland never really came into being and now you call it vaporware; thats what I am against. Qtwayland is working fine, xwayland is working fine, gtk backend is in finishing stages, and wayland version 1 (with backward compatibility) is already out. Don't call wayland vaporware. Wayland is the industry standard; mir is just an exception (and is just vaporware at this stage).
    +1
    I totally agree with your comment JJ

Everyone running Ubuntu Linux these days have their eyes shut to the open source world surrounding them and believe that the only truth and the whole truth comes from Canonical.
    They choose to totally ignore the commercial interest involved and gladly accept <snip> like Ubuntu.
    Last edited by cariboo; March 8th, 2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: remove untrue term

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    +1
    I totally agree with your comment JJ

Everyone running Ubuntu Linux these days have their eyes shut to the open source world surrounding them and believe that the only truth and the whole truth comes from Canonical.
    They choose to totally ignore the commercial interest involved and gladly accept "spyware" like Ubuntu.

ahhhh .. yes... the gratitude..
    Last edited by ventrical; March 8th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mir is not essentially wayland. Wayland was demoed on X. Soon it is talking through Mir. It has morphed, somewhat, becomming a horse of a different colour. I have been beta testing machines of all sorts since 1975 (including pinball machines and early prototype video games). In that buisness things moved fast. Stuff got obsoleted real quick. As an Ubuntu tester I like to keep moving along , not sitting on somebodies vaporware concept. Being as overly enthusiastic as I am I often get miffed by my own poutard (that is admittedly foot in mouth) but I see it as being hopeful that things will develop and move along quickly because I am not too keen on sitting on down_time caused by unecessary bickering and superfluous discussion.
    Wayland has already hit its 1.0 release. QT and GTK will soon have fully working wayland backends. Mutter and Kwin are already in the process of being ported to wayland. Xwayland already exists for seemless backwards compatibility with X apps. Wayland is being worked on by many of the same developers that are working on xorg. Wayland is coming, and its definitely not vaporware.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; March 8th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Wayland has already hit its 1.0 release. QT and GTK will soon have fully working wayland backends. Mutter and Kwin are already in the process of being ported to wayland. Xwayland already exists for seemless backwards compatibility with X apps. Wayland is being worked on by many of the same developers that are working on xorg. Wayland is coming, and its definitely not vaporware.
    But in this context :

"In summary, we have not chosen Wayland/Weston as our basis for delivering a next-generation user experience as it does not fulfill our requirements completely. More to this, with our protocol- and platform-agnostic approach, we can make sure that we reach our goal of a consistent and beautiful user experience across platforms and device form factors. However, Wayland support could be added either by providing a Wayland-specific frontend implementation for our display server or by providing a client-side implementation of libwayland that ultimately talks to Mir."

It is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am just a volunteer beta tester here. I am just trying to test what is coming out , what is current. Mir is the cutting edge right now.
    @ventrical

That is exactly why I started this thread - to discuss the testing of MIR and I posted it in the section of the forum where we share our experiences of testing Ubuntu that is under development. And we are very happy to test all supported flavours of Ubuntu. Isn't this true? Will MIR play nice with Xfce and KDE? Will it even play nice with Gnome and Unity? When MIR is grown up enough to take on that responsibility and all anyone has to do is ask and some of us will try to find the answer. So, to get us back on topic.

I am able to run the accelerated demo on both 12.10 and 13.04 + Nvidia GT220 + Nouveau. The basic demo_client does not do anything but black screen. The unaccelerated demo now longer flashes after today's update but there are some nasty streaks across the rectangle. Now if only there could be some communication between us and the devs other than a bug report.

I know about Ctrl+C to get back to the tty but I never did learn how to get back from tty to desktop. I am having to shutdown -r now to get anywhere.

Regards - U+1 testers.

P.S. I am also thinking about what would happen if we tried to load a utility under MIR? How would one do that? I guess that the command would have to invoke MIR and somehow invoke the application. I need to investigate how those commands work.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 8th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

That is exactly why I started this thread - to discuss the testing of MIR and I posted it in the section of the forum where we share our experiences of testing Ubuntu that is under development. And we are very happy to test all supported flavours of Ubuntu. Isn't this true? Will MIR play nice with Xfce and KDE? Will it even play nice with Gnome and Unity? When MIR is grown up enough to take on that responsibility and all anyone has to do is ask and some of us will try to find the answer. So, to get us back on topic.

I am able to run the accelerated demo on both 12.10 and 13.04 + Nvidia GT220 + Nouveau. The basic demo_client does not do anything but black screen. The unaccelerated demo now longer flashes after today's update but there are some nasty streaks across the rectangle. Now if only there could be some communication between us and the devs other than a bug report.

I know about Ctrl+C to get back to the tty but I never did learn how to get back from tty to desktop. I am having to shutdown -r now to get anywhere.

Regards - U+1 testers.
    I now have 4 workstations with the Mir ppa installed across 3 graphics cards, ATi, Nvidia and Intel.

Thanks for getting us back on topic

Regards,
    Ventrical

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I know about Ctrl+C to get back to the tty but I never did learn how to get back from tty to desktop.
    TTY7 is usually your X session, so just hit CTRL+ALT+F7.
    Cheesemill

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast