Thread: USB2VGA (0711:5100) - Tritton XD300, MWS300, Startech ...

Beans

USB2VGA (0711:5100) - Tritton XD300, MWS300, Startech ...

2011-09-13 Update: I can confirm that video on the Tritton XD300 (0711:500 - Trigger 1+) functional w/ the drivers and configuration on MaX 6.5RC2 w/ max-multiseat package installed. To make it work I had to use a USB to PS2 splitter in the USB port next to the sound input and output.

I bought an XD300 and I'd like to get it working with something other then Windows. The key element that doesn't work out-of-the-box with Ubuntu is the USB2VGA video adapter.

The Hardware - MCT 0711:5100 Trigger 1+ chipset

That device is (see lsusb output):
    ID 0711:5100 Magic Control Technology Corp.
    This chipset is also known as the MCT Trigger 1+

The device is also used by a few other OEMs in a few other devices...

My goal with this thread is to hopefully weave together all of the other threads here and on launchpad with other folks who have done work on this in an effort to "concentrate our fire" and get a workable solution.

Timeline

It looks like there was a driver that was started by MCT based off of the sisusbvga kernel (probably for another OEMs project) and that was provided to "Samir Saidani" (saidani at tuxfamily org), that effort got the device to detect, but it was not usable (his wiki w/ instructions and driver tarballs).

Emergence of support for MWS300 in a Debian-based distro

Skip ahead some time and a number of commits by Mario Izquierdo (mariodebian at gmail com) 1 2 3 appear on a educational Linux distro called MAX/EducaMadrid based out of Madrid, Spain which seems to suggest support for MWS300 multipoint workstations as well as DisplayLink based devices for classrooms (aka USBSeats).

Mario also posted a blog posting about another device powered by MCT Trigger 1+ here

Here's a video showing off Trigger 1+ based MWS300 clients being used to power a classroom, 6-usb video cards per desktop server.

Stuff to hack on

There are some i386/AMD64 packages for XOrg.conf at these links, and there maybe kernel drivers for trigger usb, etc in the kernel of the distro itself which is downloadable from http://www.educa2.madrid.org/web/max/descarga

Anyone game to have another go at getting this working?

Other background reading
    Last edited by ironstorm; September 14th, 2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Working video on Tritton XD300

Beans

Re: USB2VGA (0711:5100) - Tritton XD300, MWS300, Startech ...

Is there any measures to make Tritton XD300 working in Debian/Ubuntu system. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qterm View Post
    Is there any measures to make Tritton XD300 working in Debian/Ubuntu system. Thanks.
    Not at the moment, all the necessary bits do exist in the MaX Madrid Educational distro which is a debian based distro... I've run the XD300 off of 6.5rc2 of that distro... so with work I have little doubt it could be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Does it work with 12.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: USB2VGA (0711:5100) - Tritton XD300, MWS300, Startech ...

Quote Originally Posted by jhellen View Post
    Does it work with 12.04?
    i just picked one up from bestbuy, out of the box not working, but shows in lsusb

toying with it now, will post back
    Intel Core 2 Dou | 3GB Ram | 320GB HDD | Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
    ASUS EEE 1000HA | Atom 1.6 GHz | 2GB Ram | 250 GB HDD | Intel GMA 950
    Please: Don't Forget To Mark Your Threads As Solved

Beans

A long time ago when I was playing with it, I captured my history:

Code:
    setxkbmap us
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install max-multiseat
    sudo aptitude install max-language-en
    cd /etc/gdm
    sudo nano gdm.conf-custom # set 0=localseat
    cd /etc/ssh
    sudo nano sshd_config # remove madrid from DenyUsers list
    sudo service ssh restart
    ssh localhost
    cd /lib/udev
    sudo mv xorg.conf.display0 xorg.conf.display0.disabled # disable default profile which wants to use a serial/PS2 mouse
    I was using MaX 6.52, I recall having to plug in a usb-to-ps2 adapter into a specific USB port on the XD300 in order that it would detect and spawn an X session on the XD300.

I see there's an ISO for MaX 7.0, I wonder if it still works with MWS300 and if they might have packaged their support up (it's a debian-based distro like ubuntu)...

Anyway, I don't have time to chase these things, so I will have to be content to wonder.