Thread: having problems with emulators

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

having problems with emulators

im new to ubuntu and everything but im having problems with nes and snes emulators im useing snes9x express and gfce ultra they are extreamly laggy and freeze randomly any way to fix this or any better emulators would help

Beans

Re: having problems with emulators

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsocket View Post
    im new to ubuntu and everything but im having problems with nes and snes emulators im useing snes9x express and gfce ultra they are extreamly laggy and freeze randomly any way to fix this or any better emulators would help
    Are your video drivers installed? Also zsnes is far superior to that of snes9x.
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

zsnes (in repos) and snes9x-gtk (ppa) are the best, imo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yoasif View Post
    zsnes (in repos) and snes9x-gtk (ppa) are the best, imo.
    Actually, zsnes is only in the repositories if he is using the i386 architecture, for 64-bit users go here.
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aspect View Post
    Are your video drivers installed? Also zsnes is far superior to that of snes9x.
    how do i kno if they are/ how do i install them
    and ive never been a fan of znes is too messy i guess

Beans

how do i kno if they are/ how do i install them
    and ive never been a fan of znes is too messy i guess
    Well there are two ways to find out if you have a video driver installed. One you can type in to the terminal:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    and that should give, if you have drivers properly installed

Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
    Or you can go to System>>>Administration>>>Hardware Drivers

That hardware tab should also be where you can install your video driver depending in what kind of card you use.

Beans

ZNES runs great for me. In all these emulators you can go to video options and enable OpenGL rendering. Won't make things look any better of course, but may help the lag issue.

Oh, and as far as NES emulating goes, it has ALWAYS lagged for me. NES roms lagged 10 years ago when I was emulating them on Windows, and they lag today in Ubuntu even though I have a Geforce 6200 256meg video card.

I don't think there's anything you can do there. Even NES Tetris lags me. And I've tried varying releases of every NES emulator out there.
    Last edited by javyn999; May 20th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aspect View Post
    Well there are two ways to find out if you have a video driver installed. One you can type in to the terminal:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    and that should give, if you have drivers properly installed

Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
    Or you can go to System>>>Administration>>>Hardware Drivers

That hardware tab should also be where you can install your video driver depending in what kind of card you use.
    ya it works apparently but every 3d program i run makes a static line down the middle and lagfest everything worked fine when i had windows on my computer but im going to do everything i can to fix things in linux im not going back to windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

ya it works apparently but every 3d program i run makes a static line down the middle and lagfest everything worked fine when i had windows on my computer but im going to do everything i can to fix things in linux im not going back to windows
    It's probably the video drivers. Have you tried turning off Visual Effects in System -> Preferences -> Appearance.

I have 0 lag in zsnes (the correct spelling for those wanting the package) and sdlmess and mednafen (but if you enable vsync, unless your monitor has the same refresh-rate as a tv, it will not be as snappy as the original systems.)
    I used them an old ati 9250 and now on various onboard intel chips (open source drivers in every case.)

Lastly, what video card do you have, maybe someone can offer advice or a tweak.

I admire your determination to not give up on Linux when running into a few hiccoughs.
    Last edited by BoyOfDestiny; May 21st, 2009 at 02:44 AM.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny View Post
    It's probably the video drivers. Have you tried turning off Visual Effects in System -> Preferences -> Appearance.

I have 0 lag in zsnes (the correct spelling for those wanting the package) and sdlmess and mednafen (but if you enable vsync, unless your monitor has the same refresh-rate as a tv, it will not be as snappy as the original systems.)
    I used them an old ati 9250 and now on various onboard intel chips (open source drivers in every case.)

Lastly, what video card do you have, maybe someone can offer advice or a tweak.

I admire your determination to not give up on Linux when running into a few hiccoughs.
    turning of visual effects did the trick for the lag but im still haveing probs with 3d programs like frets on fire or glest but thanks man