Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - WINE - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - WINE - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I am trying to get Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (the RPG, not the MMO) to work on my system, but I seem to be running into difficulties.

This is with plain WINE. I have tried PlayOnLinux and CrossOver as well to no avail, so I am back to plain WINE.

The game installs and launches fine, however when I get past the intro "credits" (which play flawlessly) to the Main Menu, practically all meshes/textures are gone. I have attached screenshots to illustrate this.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

System Specs:
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz with HyperThreading
    RAM: 4.5GB
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X600 (128MB)

WINE Version:
    Code:
    robert@robert-Dell-DE510:~$ wine --version
    wine-1.5.16
    -NOTE: It is the absolute most recent one from the WINE PPAs -- not the standard Ubuntu repositories still on (I think) wine-1.4, although I tried that as the default, which didn't work; ergo my upgrading.

Screenshots:
    Main Menu: http://imagebin.org/234587
    Character Creation: http://imagebin.org/234588

Terminal Output:
    Code:
    robert@robert-Dell-DE510:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/LucasArts/SWKotOR$ wine swkotor.exe 
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 94 (SPI_GETMOUSETRAILS)
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
    fixme:dsound:DSOUND_WaveFormat Limiting channels to 2 due to lack of multichannel support
    fixme:d3d:check_fbo_compat Format WINED3DFMT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM with rendertarget flag is not supported as FBO color attachment, and no fallback specified.
    fixme:d3d:check_fbo_compat Format WINED3DFMT_B10G10R10A2_UNORM with rendertarget flag is not supported as FBO color attachment, and no fallback specified.
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x30ae2dc,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:d3d:check_fbo_compat Format WINED3DFMT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM with rendertarget flag is not supported as FBO color attachment, and no fallback specified.
    fixme:d3d:check_fbo_compat Format WINED3DFMT_B10G10R10A2_UNORM with rendertarget flag is not supported as FBO color attachment, and no fallback specified.
    Last edited by Starminn; November 4th, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Fixed screenshots

Beans

Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - WINE - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hey,

May I ask which registry keys do you have in your Wine Regedit?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anarchticgrimm View Post
    Hey,

May I ask which registry keys do you have in your Wine Regedit?
    That would make for a lot of keys to list off, 'eh?

Whatever the defaults are.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Starminn View Post
    That would make for a lot of keys to list off, 'eh?

Whatever the defaults are.
    Not exactly =)

Under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Software/Wine" have you ever made a Key named 'Direct3D'? If so, is there any registry key named "OffscreenRenderingMode" or any others?

Edit! I've just remembered that problem. Could you please install driconf from Software Center and go into Image section and switch the S3TC texture compression to Yes?

That should help you with your problem.
    Last edited by anarchticgrimm; November 8th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Your video card does not seem to make the minimum system requirements for the game. The website says that you need a minimum of an X1800 for radeon, and you appear to be using an X600, which is not only a generation before the minimum, but also significantly slower than the minimum.

This is from their official website:
    Processor:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
    • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or betterOperating System:
    • Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:

• Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
    • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
    Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

• ATI X1800 or better
    • nVidia 7800 or better
    • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
    While most people might say "well it will probably run with reduced frame rate", the X600 does not support the shader model 3 architecture that the game needs to even run. Perhaps this might be the reason why you are having rendering related errors?
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    Your video card does not seem to make the minimum system requirements for the game. The website says that you need a minimum of an X1800 for radeon, and you appear to be using an X600, which is not only a generation before the minimum, but also significantly slower than the minimum.

This is from their official website:

While most people might say "well it will probably run with reduced frame rate", the X600 does not support the shader model 3 architecture that the game needs to even run. Perhaps this might be the reason why you are having rendering related errors?
    I think you have the wrong idea -- if I'm not mistaken, you seem to have assumed that I am trying to play "Star Wars: The Old Republic" when I am not. What I AM trying to play is "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic". As much is stated in the original post:

I am trying to get Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (the RPG, not the MMO) to work on my system...
    I am sorry for any confusion that has occurred.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

does it need direct x?
    cause if it does i don't think it'll work

Beans

Not exactly =)

Under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Software/Wine" have you ever made a Key named 'Direct3D'? If so, is there any registry key named "OffscreenRenderingMode" or any others?

Edit! I've just remembered that problem. Could you please install driconf from Software Center and go into Image section and switch the S3TC texture compression to Yes?

That should help you with your problem.
    I have installed DRIconf, but under the "Image Quality" section there is nothing mentioning anything about "compression." Perhaps I am overlooking it?

Additionally, I do not have any such keys under regedit.

Screenshot: http://imagebin.org/235960

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Starminn View Post
    I have installed DRIconf, but under the "Image Quality" section there is nothing mentioning anything about "compression." Perhaps I am overlooking it?

Additionally, I do not have any such keys under regedit.

Screenshot: http://imagebin.org/235960
    Hey,

Now I'm completely sure this is a texture compression problem since you don't have additional keys in your regedit.

Under Image Quality section, there should be an option for S3TC.

Just like this; (this might be an old version but there must be such option)

Beans

Hey,

Now I'm completely sure this is a texture compression problem since you don't have additional keys in your regedit.

Under Image Quality section, there should be an option for S3TC.

Just like this; (this might be an old version but there must be such option)
    Here are some screenshots of what I'm looking at:

http://imagebin.org/236087
    http://imagebin.org/236088

Might it be possible that my graphics card simply doesn't support this option, therefore it is not being shown? Or perhaps since mine may be a newer version it has been phased out? (Under "Expert Mode" there are not any additional settings)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast