Thread: Drivers for HD 4250

Beans

Drivers for HD 4250

I am using 12.10 and i can NOT get any drivers for my HD 4250 (laptop) onboard to go in! I have tried a hundred different ways with google and they either show just a blank desktop, or like am sitting at now after installing this https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

My system just says Ubuntu and goes to a blank black screen. Trying to take out the ppa with the ROOT thingy will not work as he does not know the command.

Anyone Please help? Linux is way harder than windows but so so so much better if i can get my drivers installed!

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ya....Amd Drivers!

try 12.04 LTS rather than downgrading the x server. see if that works better and install should be easier.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Drivers for HD 4250

hd 4xxx does not work on 12.10....install 12.04
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rrich1974 View Post
    hd 4xxx does not work on 12.10....install 12.04
    Not quite true; what you mean is the official AMD/ATI driver that works on 12.10 doesn't support the HD4000 series. In order to use the older version of the driver that still supports the card, you need to be using 12.04.

So yes, if you want the best 3D performance you need to be using the AMD/ATI Catalyst driver on 12.04. The card works on 12.10, but only with the open-source driver that won't give you very good 3D performance.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidemoon View Post
    I am using 12.10 and i can NOT get any drivers for my HD 4250 (laptop) onboard to go in! I have tried a hundred different ways with google and they either show just a blank desktop, or like am sitting at now after installing this https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

My system just says Ubuntu and goes to a blank black screen. Trying to take out the ppa with the ROOT thingy will not work as he does not know the command.

Anyone Please help? Linux is way harder than windows but so so so much better if i can get my drivers installed!

Thanks!
    What laptop do you have? If it has switchable graphics, you must select dedicated only in you bios. I have a thinpad w500 with a card comparable to a 3650 and the ppa you listed worked without a problem after turning off mu switchable graphics. Also, if it doesnt seem to be taking the driver, try booting into the recovery mode and run this command as root.

Code:
    aticonfig --initial