Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 and i like it

Beans
    Hidden!

Windows 8 and i like it

Hello; After a lot of research, questions, price comparisons and input
    from various people, including some on these forums, i am now sitting
    at my new laptop, Acer Aspire M, windows 8 with touchscreen.

I can already say,i am liking this a lot.The touchscreen was my wife's
    idea and i'm glad she wanted it as i am enjoying it a lot.

Once we decided on windows 8 the criteria was, minimum i5 or equivalent
    processor, touchscreen and SSD, all of which we have in this model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows 8 and i like it

I'm curious how much of your love of Windows 8 is because of the touchscreen component? I've used Windows 8 strictly on a non-touchscreen platform, and have been less than impressed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferRex View Post
    I'm curious how much of your love of Windows 8 is because of the touchscreen component? I've used Windows 8 strictly on a non-touchscreen platform, and have been less than impressed.
    Probably a lot, my reasoning before i bought this was that windows
    8 seems to be geared toward the mobile device market, a growing market that microsoft obviously wants to cash in on.
    Since the touchscreen is integral to that market i naturally assumed that without it i would be missing the features that this
    OS was designed for.
    I actually had every intention to buy a tablet, but the more i
    looked and talked to people the more the tablet looked like a toy,
    a very awesome toy of course but for the price a very expensive toy.
    The touchscreen gives me tablet like features, combined with the portability aspect of the SSD, ie; not worried about bumps etc.
    Some of my reasons, everyone has different needs and preferences
    and i respect that as well. Hope this helps and thanks for asking.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferRex View Post
    I'm 100% with you there, LuciferRex - I bought my Toshiba P850 about two months ago or so, and it was one of the brand new releases with Windows 8 on it. I spent an evening tinkering and trying to achieve the tasks I do on a day-to-day basis, and that's what gave me the push to give Linux another try.

I've got to say, I know Unity isn't to everyone's taste (and I admit that I do flit between Unity and XFCE or MATE depending on my mood), but I really do think Unity is leagues ahead of Windows 8 for a forward-looking touch compatible environment on a non-touch device. My experience has been that Windows 8 really doesn't work at all on a non-touch laptop.

offgridguy - I'd be very interested to know how you feel Unity stacks up against Windows 8 when used on a touch-screen laptop. Have you already installed Ubuntu dual boot or tried out a live DVD on the Acer?

PS love your avatar. How far down the off-grid path have you managed to get?
    Last edited by #1udancqSHv%; January 5th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: noticed avatar :)

Beans
    Hidden!

I intend to stay with my AMD kit running Mint at home, and an iPad for travelling - for a few years.
    I might get a Nexus 7 tablet because the idea of funding $MS and Apple is very repulsive for me.
    UEFI, suing left and right for any thing with 'squared form and round corners', and the likes are very unpalatable and unacceptable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luciferrex View Post
    i'm curious how much of your love of windows 8 is because of the touchscreen component? I've used windows 8 strictly on a non-touchscreen platform, and have been less than impressed.

:d

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jfj33 View Post

offgridguy - I'd be very interested to know how you feel Unity stacks up against Windows 8 when used on a touch-screen laptop. Have you already installed Ubuntu dual boot or tried out a live DVD on the Acer?

PS love your avatar. How far down the off-grid path have you managed to get?
    At this time i haven't tried ubuntu on the acer. I do agree with
    your synopsis of unity, i like unity a lot, i really doubt i would have bought windows 8 had it not been touchscreen as i
    already have win.7 .

Regarding off-grid, we have been living with alternative energy now for approx. 2 decades. More of a lifestyle choice than an
    austerity measure. Not for everyone but very rewarding for
    those who have chosen to do it.

Beans

I find myself wondering as to why you would post this here in this forum? But hey you enjoy what you enjoy right? As for myself I have tried Windows 8 and found it to be atrocious. A ghastly thing that a torrent of spiders may try to make into their home.

Linux for me forever.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TOMBSTONEV2 View Post
    I find myself wondering as to why you would post this here in this forum? But hey you enjoy what you enjoy right? As for myself I have tried Windows 8 and found it to be atrocious. A ghastly thing that a torrent of spiders may try to make into their home.

Linux for me forever.
    The why is easy, this is the forum for Other OS/Distro Talk.
    Most comments regarding windows in these forums are negative, hardly surprising.

I read a post awhile back, that sums up my own thoughts on this.
    I use linux because i like linux not because i hate windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm not surprised that someone jumped on you. I've tried Linux over the last few years looking for something to replace XP. I had to dual boot because of games that only work on windows. Since XP does work, I found less reason to boot back into Linux. With support ending for XP I looked for a replacement. The $40 upgrade for W8 was too good to pass up for me. I use Classic Shell start button and rarely go into Metro.

I keep coming to these forums to stay up to date on Ubuntu and Linux. For a couple of years I tolerated unity hate posts and now it is W8 hate posts. The place seems to be overrun with fanbois of something or another, more than willing to jump on anyone that disagrees with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast