Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Known Lucid Lynx issues/bugs with workarounds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Known Lucid Lynx issues/bugs with workarounds

After having installed the new Ubuntu Version 10.04, the language support dialog box popped up and asked for packet installation. But the error "Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first!" appears. Every new attempt fails again.

One first post is
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...nguage+support

One bad workaround is a new installation with an active internet connection. The Ubuntu Setup fetches the correct packets in advance and the problem does not occur at all.

Beans

In Response to Bootup/Plymoth Instructions:

The commands will only work for Grub2, not legacy.
    To install Grub2 before following the instructions on how to fix Plymoth screen.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove grub
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub2
    Then follow the instructions stated in the OP post.

Another issue with the resolution. I was not able to enter the resolution given in the instructions. To find my correct resolution I restarted the computer, got into the Grub screen and pressed 'C'.

You will then be able to enter into a command: vbeinfo

Note your resolution and then use that resolution for the instructions instead of the given resolution.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After an upgrade of an existing system (probably using VMs), this message may appear at boot:

An error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb

This is due to an /etc/fstab entry that is no longer supported in 10.04, commenting out or removing the line in fstab will resolve the problem:
    Code:
    gksudo /etc/fstab
    Launchpad ID: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/575597
    Last edited by dcstar; May 5th, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Regarding the minimize, maximize, and close buttons:

The position of these buttons is actually determined by a new key field in index.theme, so all that's required is to create a new index.theme.

The method in the first post requires each user to create their own theme via the customization GUI. Another method is to use the dreaded keyboard.

For example:
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/themes
    sudo mkdir Radiance-Alt
    sudo cp Radiance/index.theme Radiance-Alt/
    sudo gvim Radiance-Alt/index.theme
    NOTE: Susbstitute your preferred text editor (mine is gvim)

Here's a suitably modified index.theme:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=X-GNOME-Metatheme
    Name=Radiance-Alt
    Comment=Ubuntu Radiance theme with old button placement
    Encoding=UTF-8

[X-GNOME-Metatheme]
    GtkTheme=Radiance
    MetacityTheme=Radiance
    IconTheme=ubuntu-mono-light
    CursorTheme=DMZ-White
    #ButtonLayout=close,minimize,maximize:
    ButtonLayout=menu:minimize,maximize,close
    This is the easiest way to make variants which are available to all users. The nice thing about doing it this way is that any updates to the base theme will be applied to your modified theme automagically.
    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    - Cleon, Foundation's Fear
    Linux user #143407 - Ubuntu user #14010

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problem: Can't adjust screen brightness on Xubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx using keyboard function keys.

Solution: [not necessarily the best solution] Remove Xfce power manager (package name: xfce4-power-manager) and install Gnome power manager (package name: gnome-power-manager), then reboot the system.

Notes:
    • I faced the problem on an HP Compaq 610 laptop
    • I didn't upgrade into 10.04 from an older version, rather did a fresh install

Beans

Some applications won't start up because of non-conventional /home-location

After upgrade firefox never started up when chosen from menu. This was due to me having home directories in an other location than /home/ (Actually, /home on my system is soft linked to somewhere else).

Firefox printed out this error when running from terminal:
    Code:
    (firefox-bin:14089): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.
    Googling this made lots of hits, but non relevant..dmesg shows clearly that the problem is apparmor:
    Code:
    [23481.043374] type=1503 audit(1272926900.593:260):  operation="open" pid=23126 parent=23122 profile="/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.3/firefox-*bin" requested_mask="r::" denied_mask="r::" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000 name="/lemur/home/westerp/.ICEauthority"
    [23481.070918] type=1503 audit(1272926900.621:261):  operation="open" pid=23126 parent=23122 profile="/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.3/firefox-*bin" requested_mask="r::" denied_mask="r::" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000 name="/lemur/home/westerp/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini"
    I had this fixed previously by changing /etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home, but in the heat of the upgrade I choose the packet maintainers version. For users upgrading from Hardy will hit this one for the first time around I guess. the fix is running:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure apparmor
    this will make sure the change goes in effect since it reloads apparmor after updating config files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

X Forwarding on SSH stops working after the upgrade. Lanuchpad #434799:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sh/+bug/434799

Setting "AddressFamily inet" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restarting sshd does work around this problem.

Beans

Haven't seen this on launchpad yet but:

Laptops with Intel graphics chips, post upgrade may not be able to enable desktop effects (compiz). May also get a warning during boot of "low res mode".

The problem is during the upgrade, all sorts of Nvidia drivers were installed, and they're clashing with the Intel drivers. The workaround (I know of two times this worked perfectly)

Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia*
    You may want to apt-get -s first (simulate) and make sure nothing unwanted is being removed. Then reboot and Bob's your uncle.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Regarding this known bug affecting Intel graphics chipsets:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

This is a workaround that allows the LiveCD to be booted after people reported the process stalling at a black screen.

Just to be clear, this is only for the LiveCD and getting to the desktop in 10.04

Once there I am not sure what you would have to do if you install and want to make this a permanent install.

So, here we go:

Put the LiveCD in and boot up;

when you see the Ubuntu logo hit Enter;

Choose language and leave the default Try as a live cd or whatever it says again;

Important: hit F6 and then Esc to see the boot line

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Now, again this is important, move the cursor backwards and remove quiet splash;

Add the following parameter:

i915.modeset=1

In other words, the boot should look like this:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz i915.modeset=1 --

Now hit Enter and hopefully you will be at the desktop admiring Lucid Lynx 10.04.
    This is taken from my reply to another post on the forum where someone, like me, was having issues with even booting the LiveCD.

I hope this helps people with Intel graphics chipsets.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Rubi1200; August 6th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Regarding this known bug affecting Intel graphics chipsets:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

I have found/stumbled upon by accident a workaround that allows the LiveCD to be booted after people reported the process stalling at a black screen.

This is taken from my reply to another post on the forum where someone, like me, was having issues with even booting the LiveCD.

I hope this helps people with Intel graphics chipsets.

Good luck!
    I started the thread for this issue and Rubi1200 was kind enough to post his findings and get me going. Once I got the Live CD to boot, it installed just fine and on reboot came up to a fully functioning desktop. I didn't need to use the workaround he linked to, the drivers were already installed correctly. So it appears -- and this is just from my experience I'm basing it on -- that the drivers get installed correctly, but are not active/included on the Live CD.

If interested, all the gory details are here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1472054

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast