Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.A View Post
    I finally found a way to run compiz with:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 03)
    all you have to do is using "Indirect Rendering" option.
    And now my old PC is back to life again (it's even faster than it was with Hardy).
    S.A.A., this is the answer I was looking for!

How can I do this? Some parameter in xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by volneilo View Post
    S.A.A., this is the answer I was looking for!

How can I do this? Some parameter in xorg.conf?
    It's a GConf key. Open gconf-editor and navigate to: /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/unredirect_fullscreen_windows

Alternatively, install ccsm (Compiz Settings Manager).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

some users, who own i915 or later, told me that 'videoram' option didn't affect at all their experience while I received good news from i8xx users.

I'm under UXA (NO exaoptmizemigration/migrationheuristic enabled) at this time. It works flawless however I noticed an awful video output after upgrading to new 2.7.0 on SD sources only, not HD ones (Jaunty Kernel+GMA950)
    (now avaiable on both: Intel PPA and X-Swat PPA - .deb !)

Perhaps many G3x/G4x might solve their tearing issue: I have just installed Gnome Mplayer 0.9.5 (from .deb) and .... never seen anything better !

Quote Originally Posted by noobaholic View Post
    (EE) intel(0) Cannot support DRI with framebuffer width > 2048.
    extract from Intel Linux's webpage:

known issues
    Work in progress:
    - UXA/DRI2:
    * Virtual screen size limited to 2048x2048 for pre-965 platforms: bug#21190.

My favourite userbars: #1, #2, #3, #4
    Help me, pls!!!! Click here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    It's a GConf key. Open gconf-editor and navigate to: /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/unredirect_fullscreen_windows

Ok. So, Indirect rendering = unredirect_fullscreen_windows ? 'Cause I found "unredirect fullscreen windows" under ccsm, and it's enabled. Should I disable it? It's the same that using "Indirect Rendering"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by densou View Post
    some users, who own i915 or later, told me that 'videoram' option didn't affect at all their experience while I received good news from i8xx users.
    I've got an 855GM chipset and the VideoRAM parameter is ignored - my logs show that any value I select is overridden. Nevertheless, I tested for any changes and found none. See here.

I'm under UXA (NO exaoptmizemigration/migrationheuristic enabled) at this time. It works flawless however I noticed an awful video output after upgrading to new 2.7.0 on SD sources only, not HD ones (Jaunty Kernel+GMA950)
    (now avaiable on both: Intel PPA and X-Swat PPA - .deb !)
    The EXAOptimizeMigration and MigrationHeuristic options only take effect if you're using EXA acceleration. Under UXA, they're ignored.

The PPAs you listed ship more recent milestone releases (e.g. the 2.7.0 driver), whilst the xorg-edgers repository is more bleeding-edge. The latter is more interesting for our purposes.

Perhaps many G3x/G4x might solve their tearing issue: I have just installed Gnome Mplayer 0.9.5 (from .deb) and .... never seen anything better !
    Tearing may be caused by a bug in the textured Xv output. Changing it to Xv Overlay will probably help (at the expense of making video playback conflict with compiz).

Your issue is probably also related to MTRR ranges not being set correctly - this has nothing to do with your system's media players. See the bug report linked to this guide, and you'll find that your system is affected too...

extract from Intel Linux's webpage:

known issues
    Work in progress:
    - UXA/DRI2:
    * Virtual screen size limited to 2048x2048 for pre-965 platforms: bug#21190.

Thanks for the information!
    Last edited by psyke83; April 25th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

This did the trick for me on AMD64 with X3100.

My brightness hot keys no longer work but the perceived speed increase is astonishing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just applied the guide from the first post to my Dell Latitude D610 and it seems to have done the trick for now. Hoping I will not discover any instability issues. Will report back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post

Folks, I'm really sorry for insist in this very noob question but... I disabled the option "unredirect_fullscreen_windows" through GconfEditor. Unfortunately didn't worked for me. So, if it was all I needed to do in order to try S.A.A.'s suggestion (I'm not sure about that), I'm back to the start.

Thanks a lot for your patience!
    Last edited by volneilo; April 25th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hy volneilo, Open the terminal and type:
    Code:
    compiz --indirect-rendering --replace

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.A View Post
    Hy volneilo, Open the terminal and type:
    Code:
    compiz --indirect-rendering --replace
    S.A.A, thanks a lot for the response.

Unfortunately, although my card is exactly the same as yours, that command lead me to a wallpaper-only screen and a mouse pointer. Did you do something else, some xorg.conf modification? Or everything else is out-of-the-box settings in your system?

Oh, I forgot to mention... I'm tryng all of this in a LiveUser session through as USB stick; dont know if it is relevant...
    Last edited by volneilo; April 25th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast