Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The best linux web-design application

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: The best linux web-design application

Quote Originally Posted by Lyfang View Post
    BlueGriffon, Seamonkey Suite, Kompozer are not found in the Quantal repository! Is there an open source WYSIWYG website editor that also works well with CMS, HTML5, CSS and PHP? Searching for software that is up-to-date. LibreOffice Writer can save a Writer document in HTML format and LibreOffice 3.6 is in the Quantal repository. Amaya works with Lubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) but is not in the Quantal repository.
    Hi Lyfang,
    I'm a big fan of Seamonkey, for me it's much less buggy than Kompozer and far simpler to use. I recall that it was removed from the Precise repos due to the PPA not being maintained but after doing a search I found this https://launchpad.net/~joe-nationnet.../seamonkey-dev which seems to have a Quantal build. I haven't tested it so I can't really recommend it. As Seamonkey is updated regularly I would sugest checking out the official website an downloading a copy from there http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ that's what I've been doing and it been working fine for me on Precise 12.04. Although Seamonkey does not have a CSS editor like Kompozer, this still works better for me cause I find it easier to edit CSS directly. To be honest I find the Kompozer interface a little confusing Regarding a PHP WYSIWIG editor I think you'll be hard pressed to find any reputable software resembling that (open or closed). Being a logic-based computer programming language and not a mark-up language g
    nerally means the closest you'll get to WYSIWYG is an IDE. I use Netbeans for PHP development but many people also use Eclipse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[SOLVED] up-to-date WYSIWYG website editor. Thanks BcRich! Now I'll use Composer from the SeaMonkey Suite 2.13.2 (package seamonkey 2.13.2-0ubuntu1~quantal), which is also the latest version (2.13.2) from the SeaMonkey project's website. Composer has a feature that can switch between Normal (WYSIWYG mode) and <HTML> Source. LibreOffice 3.6 works too but is mainly an office suite. However if one wants to pass the W3C's HTML validation test one should use the Amaya Web editor (from W3C).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Huh? How did this old thread of mine get resurrected?

For the records: I use gedit nowadays.
    What about db management?

Beans

Is there an open source WYSIWYG website editor that also works well with CMS...

Excuse me, but what did you just mean with that?
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Excuse me, but what did you just mean with that?
    Most CMS work great alone like: Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla. What about redesigning and dealing with a CMS framework? Is there an open source website editor that allows to modify a CMS web template?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't tried it in WINE yet, but CodeLobster offers plug-ins for a price. It is one of the best non-VS IDEs I've used so far (though it doesn't include database support I believe).

Available plug-ins:
    • CakePHP plug-in
    • CodeIgniter plug-in
    • Drupal plug-in
    • Facebook plug-in
    • JQuery plug-in
    • Joomla plug-in
    • Smarty plug-in
    • Symfony plug-in
    • WordPress plug-in
    • Yii plug-in

The free version handles HTML, Javascript, CSS and PHP.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Most CMS work great alone like: Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla. What about redesigning and dealing with a CMS framework? Is there an open source website editor that allows to modify a CMS web template?
    Why do you need it at all? I mean, come on, we are long past the age of Microsoft Frontpage

These days people builds website on top of Bootstrap, HTML5 Boilerplate and the like. You only need to customize styles, cut and place graphics.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans

It's been a long time since I've been here.

True, BlueGriffon is not in the repository. You'll want to go to bluegriffon.org and download the Ubuntu installer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCagle View Post
    It's been a long time since I've been here.

True, BlueGriffon is not in the repository. You'll want to go to bluegriffon.org and download the Ubuntu installer.
    BlueGriffon website didn't include a .deb file to download. I use SeaMonkey Browser for browsing and will try to make a great webpage using SeaMonkey Composer, "Publishing Site Settings..." could include an option to login in and synchronize with CMS, but doesn't.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Why do you need it at all? I mean, come on, we are long past the age of Microsoft Frontpage

These days people builds website on top of Bootstrap, HTML5 Boilerplate and the like. You only need to customize styles, cut and place graphics.
    Plain HTML Building from scratch saving a new page using plain static HTML: You can add an external style sheet (CSS) and insert an image. Done. Disadvantage is that plain HTML sites often require more coding for a website to look modern. Open source WYSIWYG website editors include: SeaMonkey Composer and Amaya. I have found SeaMonkey Composer work better than Amaya with Lubuntu.

Content Management System I prefer CMS (is dynamic and database driven) when the site needs to be up-to-date and changes often. One disadvantage with CMS is usually higher bandwidth usage. Popular open source CMSs include Drupal, Joomla! and Wordpress. Find a CMS template and start inserting text and images.

Text editor Development in editors that work like an advanced text editor gives more control. Great for programmers.

In the end CMS (and HTML5) might win.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345