Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does 1080p (flash) video run perfectly on a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz CPU with 1 GB RAM?

Beans

Does 1080p (flash) video run perfectly on a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz CPU with 1 GB RAM?

My mom wants to be able to watch high-definition videos (most importantly flash videos) and her current 903 MHz Pentium 3 computer (with 384 MB RAM) doesn't cut it so, I was hoping someone could tell me whether it would work perfectly or not before I buy it. By perfectly, I mean at least 30 frames per second with 1080p video.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Does 1080p (flash) video run perfectly on a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz CPU with 1 GB RAM?

I run flash video's / youtube video's directly from the internet on my flatscreen tv using a P4 3.0GHZ with 2 gig of ram and onboard GPU. Don't have any problems. I think 1 gig is the minimum nowadays. Best advice: just try it out and see if you encounter any issues.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Does 1080p (flash) video run perfectly on a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz CPU with 1 GB RAM?

For normal video, 1 GB would be plenty. For Flash, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it will need hardware acceleration to get smooth playback. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

Beans

I want to share my experience about linux and i think it will answer your question

On linux flash runs twice as slow opposed to windows, I head Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM and gforce 6500 before it exploded from overclocking ir used to run 1080P youtube videos just fine not great you could notice sometimes it would drop frames but not often, but it was running xp and i do not know how would it run under linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Chelidze View Post
    On linux flash runs twice as slow opposed to windows,
    but it was running xp and i do not know how would it run under linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    Is that sarcasm ??

I love Gnu/linux/ubuntu but i am not a fan boy and will not defend by telling lies Flash on linux is just massed up

I cannot enter flash have websites with ubuntu just chugs same website on windows + antivirus no problem runs great

Beans

Thanks for the responses but I'm still not fully convinced as to whether I should purchase it or not. I'm actually not new to Linux; it's just that I don't have any functional hardware with such specs and the only reason I would buy that computer is so that my mother can watch videos until I upgrade my own computer (which will be in a few years) and I don't want to make her wait if I don't have to since the Pentium 4 is relatively cheap but not so cheap as to just throw the money away especially since I'm in a tight financial situation.

The computer I'm planning to get might have a weak video card so I expect there to be no GPU acceleration. I was hoping the CPU could handle it all (assuming no multitasking is being done).

Adobe says ( http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/fla...ech-specs.html ) that Flash requires a 2.33 GHz CPU. Does that website list the minimum system requirements or the recommended system requirements?

I might be able to insert an AMD HD4850 video card but I'm not sure if I will or if the power supply will be able to. I know that the CPU would bottleneck that GPU but the GPU would probably be lying around somewhere not being used otherwise.
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think i have a 2.8Ghz P4 in on the shelf here which version of Xubuntu (10.04, 12.04, or 12.10) are you going to be using?
    don't overpay for old hardware when you can build a new budget system for under 300 easy
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; October 4th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

12.04. Basically, the most up-to-date LTS is my style.

Also, thanks for the warning about the money but, I'm aware that significantly better computers can be made at a cheap price. It's just that I want to minimize the price and have the computer at least just meet my mother's needs until I give her my current computer.
    Last edited by s3a; October 4th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i had 10.04 in 32bit onhand but i think the nic on this thing kicked the bucket while it was
    i know i had 10.04 installed on this box before, back when it had a hdd worked great, windows could not do over 1366x768 res i could get 1600x900 on xubuntu
    time to get the other box out (i have 2 of these boxes)
    i can confirm it will display 1920x1080
    why cant i cant a network connected, i know the cable is good i tested it with my laptop
    downloading 12.04 32bit now

have not been able to install flash to test anything just so you know

got 12.04 downloaded and booting up (4:30 est)
    WT the old box hates my 8' Ethernet cables but likes my 100' one (4:35 est)
    it barley handles playing 480p at 1920x1080
    both 1080p and 720p have really low fps
    with 720p the audio gets out of line with the video (hear it before you see it)
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; October 4th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast