Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Can someone who could get switcheroo to work with 3.6-rc1 please try Intel GPU only operation on 3.6-rc3 (prestine)?
    That is, please force Intel GPU in OSX, boot into 3.6-rc3, verify that really the Intel GPU is used, suspend/resume a few times and then apply this patch:
    http://luna.vmars.tuwien.ac.at/~froe...ux_3.6-rc3.txt
    and try again?

Expected outcome: on 3.6-rc3 the gmux doesn't reliably switch back to the Intel GPU on resume without the patch.

Note: Nvidia GPU operation with nouveau drivers and without patches [1] will most likely lead to screen corruptions in 3.6-rc3.

[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51971

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bfroemel View Post
    Can someone who could get switcheroo to work with 3.6-rc1 please try Intel GPU only operation on 3.6-rc3 (prestine)?
    That is, please force Intel GPU in OSX, boot into 3.6-rc3, verify that really the Intel GPU is used, suspend/resume a few times and then apply this patch:
    http://luna.vmars.tuwien.ac.at/~froe...ux_3.6-rc3.txt
    and try again?

Expected outcome: on 3.6-rc3 the gmux doesn't reliably switch back to the Intel GPU on resume without the patch.

Note: Nvidia GPU operation with nouveau drivers and without patches [1] will most likely lead to screen corruptions in 3.6-rc3.

[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51971
    With a pristine mainline head, i915 builtin, no nouveau, and your patch applied, I can finally resume (systemd variant) my MacBookPro10,1 to a functional screen. It works!

The reversal of the gwr logic looks intriguing... *reads thread*

Excellent, thank you.

EDIT: Moreover, after resuming once, I can actually switch graphics mode with xrandr, looking at sane default fonts for the first time.
    Last edited by kosumi68; August 25th, 2012 at 07:04 AM.

Beans

On my setup (minimal distro, systemd, all modules builtin), my trackpad does not work, but reading from the appropriate /dev/input/eventX node results in a -ENOSPC. Has anyone else seen this? I have a patch for it, but I am puzzled that nobody else seems to need it...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    On my setup (minimal distro, systemd, all modules builtin), my trackpad does not work, but reading from the appropriate /dev/input/eventX node results in a -ENOSPC. Has anyone else seen this? I have a patch for it, but I am puzzled that nobody else seems to need it...
    Nope, not seen here. Might be systemd related?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frigaut View Post
    Nope, not seen here. Might be systemd related?
    The problem is there even when I boot with "init=/bin/bash". It is all very puzzling.
    Last edited by kosumi68; August 25th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

With a pristine mainline head, i915 builtin, no nouveau, and your patch applied, I can finally resume (systemd variant) my MacBookPro10,1 to a functional screen. It works!

The reversal of the gwr logic looks intriguing... *reads thread*

Excellent, thank you.

EDIT: Moreover, after resuming once, I can actually switch graphics mode with xrandr, looking at sane default fonts for the first time.
    Thanks for testing and glad that it works for you too! Turned out (Thanks to Seth Forshee) that not all changes are necessary -- I submitted this refined version of the patch:
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux...x86.devel/3794

Beans

I have added a recipe to ge the Intel graphics driver going, in fact linked a full description of installing Ubuntu 12.04 on a Macbook Pro Retina from scratch. Please find this on

http://www.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~helger/retina.html

Beans

The problem is there even when I boot with "init=/bin/bash". It is all very puzzling.
    Turns out the CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED option is necessary because of the way the bcm5974 squeezes several transactions into one microframe. Obvious...

This option is common in the distros, so problem fixed for now.
    Last edited by kosumi68; August 25th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Beans

Turns out the CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED option is necessary because of the way the bcm5974 squeezes several transactions into one microframe. Obvious...
    Good find! Maybe you want to submit a dependency patch (drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig) to the linux kernel?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bfroemel View Post
    Good find! Maybe you want to submit a dependency patch (drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig) to the linux kernel?
    I sent a patch yesterday which makes bcm5974 work without the dependency.

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast