Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

I was about to start a thread but read this thread before. Now how am I supposed to change Ubuntu version information and others?. I installed Oneiric yesterday wanted to change my profille info to that but I was surprised to see the message.
    Last edited by lisati; October 16th, 2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Normalize font

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krizanand View Post
    I was about to start a thread but read this thread before. Now how am I supposed to change Ubuntu version information and others?. I installed Oneiric yesterday wanted to change my profille info to that but I was surprised to see the message.
    You say you read this thread ?

if you had you would see a number of posts concerning this.

including my one before you, which states if you really want it changed then PM an Admin and ask nicely to see if they will do it.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Hello

We will be taking away profile customization from users having less than 50 posts. We are quite sorry about that, but currently it takes at least one hour from 2-3 persons, each day, to clean profile spam. New users register only to fill the account with spam links, pics and things.

We have waited for a long time before deciding we would be less friendly to genuine new users, but we are quite tired of spending so much human resources on so little interesting tasks.

Once an account has 50 posts, all profile customization (including avatar and signature) will be available.

If you have an account < 50 posts, your customization will not be lost and you'll have access again to all the info once you hit 50 posts.

A script is running every hour on the active (logged in) accounts to adjust the permissions (the usergroups more precisely).

If an account > 50 posts has not been active over the last month, it will take at most an hour for it to be bumped in the proper usergroup and have all the shiny and sparkling personal touch back.
    For people who have logged in at least once over the last month, it should be all transparent.
    Any admin can manually adjust the account's usergroup, so if you get quite anxious or nervous, please ask in the Resolution Center and understand it will not be treated as an emergency call

We will change the permissions this week-end (Sept 2nd-3rd).

Thanks for your understanding.
    Can you please make one exception? Can you allow new users to edit how many posts per page they can see when they scroll threads? Then they don't have to constantly load additional pages on long threads? or does this privilege create a spam threat also?
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nrundy View Post
    Can you please make one exception? Can you allow new users to edit how many posts per page they can see when they scroll threads? Then they don't have to constantly load additional pages on long threads? or does this privilege create a spam threat also?
    I do not think VB does not give that fine a grain of control, but I will look.

Update: No, after reviewing the options I did not see that choice, sorry.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; October 16th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    You say you read this thread ?

if you had you would see a number of posts concerning this.

including my one before you, which states if you really want it changed then PM an Admin and ask nicely to see if they will do it.

Yes I did read it but not fully, later found out I can get it done from Mods. I will, later. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well this stinks, but guess i should post more then this wouldn't be an issue it is just that as a newbie i tend to read and try to fix my problems myself rather than post for help. I find searching for an answer much more gratifying than simply asking everyone else to solve my problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bossbruin View Post
    well this stinks, but guess i should post more then this wouldn't be an issue it is just that as a newbie i tend to read and try to fix my problems myself rather than post for help. I find searching for an answer much more gratifying than simply asking everyone else to solve my problems.
    You dont need to ask anything, you are free to offer the solutions you have found yourself without asking to the people who are here asking for them

Find some questions you can answer and offer the support of your knowledge. hence the support forum and you get posts and can make the profile changes
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bossbruin View Post
    ... I find searching for an answer much more gratifying than simply asking everyone else to solve my problems.
    I wasn't a newbie for long before I could offer help. Stick to the Absolute Beginners forum until you feel confident to go elsewhere. You will be surprised how quickly you can offer help to others; things that you take for granted after just a couple of weeks can seem confusing to a complete newbie.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Gah how annoying. I can't even PM a mod to change my distro as I turned off PMs and now I can't get into my CP options to turn them on again.

I suppose I'll have to just spam nearly 50 useless forum replies before I can update my distro to Oneiric then ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by alco75 View Post
    Gah how annoying. I can't even PM a mod to change my distro as I turned off PMs and now I can't get into my CP options to turn them on again.

I suppose I'll have to just spam nearly 50 useless forum replies before I can update my distro to Oneiric then ...
    The forums are very busy right now - any genuine help is appreciated -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast