View Poll Results: Do you Struggle for Ideas?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 49.43%
  • No

36 20.69%
  • Sometimes!

47 27.01%
  • Other (Just for you awkward people)

5 2.87%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Struggle For Programming Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do You Struggle For Programming Ideas?

I'm sitting here trying to think of something to do, so I thought "I know I'll program something" but then I thought "Well what can I program?!?!"

So I was just wondering if anybody else struggles with ideas of things to program (GUI or otherwise).

Feel free to post idea's of things to program as well if you think of any

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Do You Struggle For Programming Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I'm sitting here trying to think of something to do, so I thought "I know I'll program something" but then I thought "Well what can I program?!?!"
    When I was younger the ideas come a bit more easily than they do now. When I switched from Windows and C++/C# to Linux and all these nasty interpreted languages with poor IDEs and GUI tools, I found myself struggling a bit with getting ideas....which has led me to start doing the Euler project in sequence

One thing you might do. I considered writing an MSN Messenger client, because Im frustrated with the rate of development on both aMSN and Pidgin, and I know that people are reverting to Windows because they lack these simple features as webcam chats, offline chatting and emoticons. Its a shame really, and its an easy protocal to master.

/Lau

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lau_of_DK View Post
    One thing you might do. I considered writing an MSN Messenger client, because Im frustrated with the rate of development on both aMSN and Pidgin, and I know that people are reverting to Windows because they lack these simple features as webcam chats, offline chatting and emoticons. Its a shame really, and its an easy protocal to master.

/Lau
    Kopete, works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'll likely be using Vim to program in - not an IDE. And would consider learning python or something to program as well

And I should point out that I'm only 19 - I'd still count that as pretty young, I just can't figure out anything to program

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I'll likely be using Vim to program in - not an IDE. And would consider learning python or something to program as well

And I should point out that I'm only 19 - I'd still count that as pretty young, I just can't figure out anything to program
    I am 20 (from February).

For my programming, I have taken to getting ideas from the forum. My system restore program (not released yet) and my new and improved Linux distro choser (reusing a lot of code from my Language Selector) all came from posters on this forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I am 20 (from February).

For my programming, I have taken to getting ideas from the forum. My system restore program (not released yet) and my new and improved Linux distro choser (reusing a lot of code from my Language Selector) all came from posters on this forum.
    Exactly why I started this thread - I'm hoping I can get a few idea's from it, though I'm not the best of programmers currently, I'm always up for a challenge

Funnily enough I was 19 in February

Beans

Wow and I was 17 in... March!

I generally code stuff I need, games or challenges. Mostly it's challenges nowadays but I do other stuff frequently!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't need anything, except to program!

Beans

Mostly same here. The last thing I need was some numerical check for some combinatorics question in my a past statistics paper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Lau_of_DK View Post
    When I was younger the ideas come a bit more easily than they do now. When I switched from Windows and C++/C# to Linux and all these nasty interpreted languages with poor IDEs and GUI tools, I found myself struggling a bit with getting ideas....which has led me to start doing the Euler project in sequence
    Drama queen.

19, November; but I steal ideas from ubuntu brainstorm. It takes time to find the right one.
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast