Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Non-Debian/Ubuntu Distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your Favorite Non-Debian/Ubuntu Distro?

While Debian and Ubuntu (along with their respective derivatives) have been my distro of choice for many years, I've since started delving into the other side Linux. Non Debian/Ubuntu distros. I've tried quite a few over the past couple months. From the somewhat complicated (Arch, Gentoo) to the more user-friendly (Fedora, OpenSUSE).

Seems I've fallen in love with one in particular. Fuduntu. I recently installed Fudunto 2012.4. I love that it's a rolling release. It installed quickly and operates like a champ on my 5-year old Dell Dimension E520 desktop. I've enabled Fuduntu testing, and this baby is rock solid. I've really begun to appreciate RPM. And using Yumex (Yum Extender) over the default Software Center is wonderful.

I now have Fuduntu as the primary OS on my desktop.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Your Favorite Non-Debian/Ubuntu Distro?

I am a huge fan of PCLinuxOS. A stable rolling release that always works and a community that is like an extended family. PCLinuxOS got me to stick with Linux when I was ready to give up because of having so many hardware issues for so long. PCLinuxOS made me realize that quality did exist in Linux and it saved me from going back to Windows.I owe a huge debt to PCLinuxOS and the community.

Beans

Arch. Currently using Manjaro which is based on Arch.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    I am a huge fan of PCLinuxOS. A stable rolling release that always works and a community that is like an extended family. PCLinuxOS got me to stick with Linux when I was ready to give up because of having so many hardware issues for so long. PCLinuxOS made me realize that quality did exist in Linux and it saved me from going back to Windows.I owe a huge debt to PCLinuxOS and the community.
    I didn't even realize they are still active. It didn't look like they have a 64-bit version. Do you know if they do.

I read their About page, and it's kind of confusing. It says it uses APT, but then it says that their repositories have over 12,000 rpm software packages. So they're using APT with rpm's?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used PCLOS before I started using Ubuntu, I still install it once in a while for nostalgia's sake.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SUSE here as well. I like Ubuntu's apps, compatibility, and the Unity DE, but I also like SUSE studio, build service, and I find the performance of SUSE distros to be one step ahead of Ubuntu...

Despite that though, my 2 computers are exclusively Ubuntu (12.04 and 12.10, both with Unity) right now.

Beans

Arch linux is my new favorite distro period. Installed it for the first time about a month ago and i love it.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post

+1

+ i think i'm gonna love the new Slackware
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

[ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast