Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CrunchBang vs Damn Small Linux vs Puppy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: CrunchBang vs Damn Small Linux vs Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Presently Downloading Puppy. In case I don't like Puppy I will try Arch.

I have used both Chromium & Opera & I like them both. I am still with FF because of its security features. In FF I have added Addons like Adblock Plus, No Script, Better Privacy.
    I have no other issues about replacing FF with another browser other than security. What about security ?
    Can browsers like dillo, Chromium offer the same amount of security as FF (with all these addons)?

I will write back about my experience with Puppy.

Thanks to all you guys.
    Well, there is adblock plus for Chrome/Chromium, and midori supports ad blocking OOTB (you just have to select a blocklist)
    I don't think Dillo even has support for Javascript, so you should be safe there.

In all browsers that I know of, you can disable/enable JS on certain sites.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Try VectorLinux and wattOS. I find that they both run faster than Puppy.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Puppy Linux is the only lightweight linux distribution that will not require alot of setup or configuration.

That said, if you put the time into it, a command line install of ubuntu with just like openbox installed with chromium and necessary apps, will fly.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!

I vote for Slitaz. (the new and improved dsl, imo) Extremely lightweight and easy to work with.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coolbrook View Post
    Try VectorLinux and wattOS. I find that they both run faster than Puppy.
    Hmmm, really? I tried vector before, but don't remember it being faster than puppy. In puppy, things open instantly. How can you get faster than that? I can't speak for wattOS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Puppy

Downloaded & burned it to a RW. Boot process went without any problem. I finally decided to install. It detected even my partitions properly but whenever I selected the (ext3) partion the installer vanished. This happened multiple times. Finally I gave up & decided to download Slitaz.

Slitaz

Again, the boot process went fine. But there is a problem with Slitaz's pppoe-setup. It won't register the DNS servers, no matter if you mention them or leave it blank to use your ISP's servers. I thought lets install it I will later google about this issue using my other computer & solve it. The installation process completed without showing any error After installation the grub menu appeared but when I selected Slitaz it said "no such hard drive" (or similar).

Beleive it or not presently I am using Xubuntu 10.04.

These so called light weight distros are really buggy. They seem to run only in live mode.

And yes the real reason behind my pc getting slow was FF.

As sugested, I am using Chromium & using mplayer from the comman line & everything is fine now.

Unless it gets better FF will soon become history.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Slitaz owns all these distros.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

These lightweight distros tend to work better in live mode because they use "safe" defaults. As soon as you install it, you have to configure it for your specific hardware, and that is where problems arise.

So these lightweight distros appear buggy, but they really just need a lot of tweaking to get running properly on your hardware. Some people don't have the time or patience or skill required to make these tweaks, so they end up installing Ubuntu--which works but is slow on old hardware.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    These lightweight distros tend to work better in live mode because they use "safe" defaults. As soon as you install it, you have to configure it for your specific hardware, and that is where problems arise.

So these lightweight distros appear buggy, but they really just need a lot of tweaking to get running properly on your hardware. Some people don't have the time or patience or skill required to make these tweaks, so they end up installing Ubuntu--which works but is slow on old hardware.
    As I have mentioned I tried to install both Slitaz & Puppy. They just won't install or boot. The installer itself crashes in Puppy & after the installation when I select Slitaz it won't boot.

How can one tweak them if they won't install ?
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Re: CrunchBang vs Damn Small Linux vs Puppy

What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast