Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds - input issue

I´m sorry. I don´t usually ask for help in forums. I´m usually able to solve my issues via google searches, but in this case I have tried various search parameters and have failed to find anyone else discussing that same problem I have currently.

I did a clean install of 12.10 on two separate computers and am experiencing on at least one of them the following issue:

I need to press certain keys twice for an input to appear.
    Here is a sort list of characters that i have to enter twice in order to display once:

´
    ¨
    ^
    `
    ~

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds - input issue [SOLVED]

Turns out I'm an idiot... Under keyboard layout, there was a selected variant: English (US, alternative international). I must have accidentally selected it during install, and didn't notice until certain passwords were failing...

Quote Originally Posted by erythros View Post
    I´m sorry. I don´t usually ask for help in forums. I´m usually able to solve my issues via google searches, but in this case I have tried various search parameters and have failed to find anyone else discussing that same problem I have currently.

I did a clean install of 12.10 on two separate computers and am experiencing on at least one of them the following issue:

I need to press certain keys twice for an input to appear.
    Here is a sort list of characters that i have to enter twice in order to display once:

´
    ¨
    ^
    `
    ~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds - input issue [SOLVED]

Quote Originally Posted by erythros View Post
    Turns out I'm an idiot... Under keyboard layout, there was a selected variant: English (US, alternative international). I must have accidentally selected it during install, and didn't notice until certain passwords were failing...
    No one is an idiot my friend. Every one of us has made mistakes at least those who have ever tried to do anything in Linux/Ubuntu.
    There are people on this forum with varying degrees of knowledge but, I don't think anyone knows absolutely everything about everything.
    The key is to keep an open mind.
    Glad you resolved your own problem. I have done that a lot myself after opening up a thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds

Xubuntu 12.10 64bit.

XFBurn does not run when selected from the menu. After a few seconds a crash report is generated.

It can be made to run from a terminal with

Code:
    sudo xfburn
    Registered Linux User #426227

Beans

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds - Wakfu starting issue

I'm new here and I've updated from 12.04 LTS to 12.10 and now the game "Wakfu" isn't starting anymore like it was before the dist update. Now when I run the game and choose "play" the window closes.

glxinfo | grep -i opengl:
    OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.1, 128 bits)
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1-devel (git-64e9ec6 precise-oibaf-ppa)
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    OpenGL extensions:

I think that the problem is VMware, because before the update it was Xorg, but I'm not certain. Does somebody know how to fix it without a downgrade?

Thank you guys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by leogomes001 View Post
    I'm new here and I've updated from 12.04 LTS to 12.10 and now the game "Wakfu" isn't starting anymore like it was before the dist update. Now when I run the game and choose "play" the window closes.

glxinfo | grep -i opengl:
    OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.1, 128 bits)
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1-devel (git-64e9ec6 precise-oibaf-ppa)
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    OpenGL extensions:

I think that the problem is VMware, because before the update it was Xorg, but I'm not certain. Does somebody know how to fix it without a downgrade?

Thank you guys

leogomes001, you need to open your own thread in general help. This thread is just for known workarounds for problems in Quantal.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    leogomes001, you need to open your own thread in general help. This thread is just for known workarounds for problems in Quantal.
    Thanks
    okay, thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds

I mainly use Gnome Classic with Cairo Dock, Emerald and Compiz but, it seemed everytime I logged in to Quantal I would be looking at a black box around Cairo Dock.

I could logout and back in a couple of times and that usually fixed it but, I finally figured out a way to fix it once and for all.

I have created 3 startup applications:

1) for Cairo Dock cairo-dock -o -w 7 forcing it to wait 7 seconds before startup.

2) for Emerald I just use the standard emerald --replace

3) for Compiz I created a small script and put this in for the command ./home/cavsfan/compiz-script

The script just contains this:
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    sleep 5
    compiz --replace
    Copy that into a text editor and save it as compiz-script in your home directory.

I made the script executable via this entered in terminal chmod +x ~/compiz-script

I have never had a startup problem since.
    (This also works on Raring Ringtail as it had the same black box startup problem.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Installing nvidia, fglrx drivers may produce an unusable desktop

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    There seems to be an issue on fresh & maybe upgrade installs when installing any of the nvidia-* drivers.(& probably also fglrx is the same
    linux-headers-generic (linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic) is not default installed & will not be installed when installing the nvidia-* package
    (I believe the dep is improperly satisfied by linux-headers which is default installed

This will cause the kernel module not to be built & when rebooting users will not get a fully working Desktop.

So before installing any of the nvidia drivers or fglrx best to -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    Edit:
    It's been decided not to adjust the nvidia-* or fglrx packages so people need to do as above or maybe complain on this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1068488
    I followed this advice and fixed the problem that my laptop would not resume when opened after installing 12.10. However it was not clear either from here, or from any other response to a google search, how to install and activate the proprietary driver. Most of the web sites documented how you did it in older releases. Using the dash returned no meaningful response to either "hardware" or "drivers". To me it is not intuitively obvious that you should click on "Software Sources" to update these drivers. In my opinion this capability has been integrated into an inappropriate tool or alternatively the dash should respond meaningfully to a search for hardware drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Installing nvidia, fglrx drivers may produce an unusable desktop

Quote Originally Posted by jcobban View Post
    I followed this advice and fixed the problem that my laptop would not resume when opened after installing 12.10. However it was not clear either from here, or from any other response to a google search, how to install and activate the proprietary driver. Most of the web sites documented how you did it in older releases. Using the dash returned no meaningful response to either "hardware" or "drivers". To me it is not intuitively obvious that you should click on "Software Sources" to update these drivers. In my opinion this capability has been integrated into an inappropriate tool or alternatively the dash should respond meaningfully to a search for hardware drivers.
    I heartily concur.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast