Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Use USAA Deposit@Home on 10.04 Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How To: Use USAA Deposit@Home

For those who bank with USAA and use the Deposit@Home feature, you probably have realized that you cannot use it on Linux machines. This tutorial will show you how to make it work on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10.

1. Uninstall IcedTea Plugin

First you need to remove the IcedTea plugin if it is installed. In Synaptic Package Manager (System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager) type "icedtea6-plugin" in the Quick Search box. If it is installed the box will be green. If that's the case, click the box and select "Mark for Complete Removal." Then click the Apply button.

Alternatively you can simply go to the Terminal (Applications - Accessories - Terminal) and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove icedtea6-plugin
    2. Enable Partner Repository

In order to install Sun Java, make sure the http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu repository is enabled. You can do this in the Synaptic Package Manager by going to the Settings menu and clicking Repositories. Click the Other Software Tab. Make sure there is a checkmark next to "http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner". Then close the window.

Alternatively you can go to the Terminal and type the following which enables all repositories in your list:
    Code:
    sudo sed -i -e "s/# deb/deb/g" /etc/apt/sources.list
    3. Install Sun Java

You can install Sun Java in Synaptic Package Manager by doing a quick search for "sun-java6". You should see the four following packages among the list: sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-bin, sun-java6-plugin, and sun-java6-fonts. Click the box next to each one and select "Mark for Installation." After doing this for all four packages click the Apply button.

Alternatively you can go to the Terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-bin sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    Or, you can simply click here to install them.

4. Verify Sun Java Installation

Restart Firefox. In the location bar in Firefox (not the Terminal) type:
    Code:
    about:plugins
    You should see Java installed! It should say "Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_20."

5. Install HeaderControl to Firefox.

Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11327 and add the HeaderControl add-on for Firefox.

Restart Firefox. In Firefox go to Tools - Addons. Go to HeaderControl and select the Preferences button. Click the Add button. Type in usaa.com for the Suffix. Click the Useragent tab. Check Mangle HTTP 'UserAgent.' In the dropdown menu select Custom Useragent. In the box below it type the following:

Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060426 Firefox/1.5.0.3

Click OK. Click OK again.

6. Scan in Checks

You're finished! Now you should be able to go the USAA website and use Deposit@Home. Just follow the instructions there. You will need to scan your checks in first, then upload them to the site.

Option A: Scan with XSane

First, install Xsane Image Scanner. You can use the Synaptic Package Manager as described above or simply click here.

Then go to Applications - Graphics - XSane Image Scanner. Select the appropriate scanner if asked. You should see several windows. The only windows you are concerned with are the main window and the standard options window.

In the main window you will see a dropdown menu that says 75. This is the dpi. Change it to 200.

In the standard options window you will see a Color Depth dropdown menu. It will say 24-bit Color. Change this to 8-bit Grayscale.

In the main window now click the scan button.

Save the image to your desktop as a jpeg. Do this for the front and the back of the check, following the instructions on the USAA website. You should now be able to upload your checks on the USAA website. Make sure to follow their instructions!

Option B: Use a script to automate check scanning

Thanks to isotherm for his post about a script he wrote to automate the process! You can download the script here. Check his post for more details.
    Last edited by wbar2; December 4th, 2010 at 11:45 PM.

Beans

Re: How To: Use USAA Deposit@Home on 10.04 Lucid

I have been doing it the hard way with XP running in a Virtual Box. Thanks for the info.

Larry

Beans

Hey guys,

Might not have to do this crap for much longer.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Th...elp-69811.html

If you want to show support, the bank rep currently making progress is Mark Voelkel if you want to write to him and levy his support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gbear14275 View Post
    Hey guys,

Might not have to do this crap for much longer.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Th...elp-69811.html

If you want to show support, the bank rep currently making progress is Mark Voelkel if you want to write to him and levy his support.
    What is Mark Voelkel's contact and mailing information?

Perhaps he would like to do an interview?

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans

lew,

if you are a usaa member just write him per the message center.

if not you'll probably have to go through their pa shop.

Beans

So I tried to follow this guide, and java failed. So I installed it from the sun version from the partner repo. So now the java applet works up until I hit submit. It goes to the "Deposit is processing" screen just like normal, but does not ever move past it.

I guess for now I will continue to use XP w/VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    So I tried to follow this guide, and java failed. So I installed it from the sun version from the partner repo. So now the java applet works up until I hit submit. It goes to the "Deposit is processing" screen just like normal, but does not ever move past it.

I guess for now I will continue to use XP w/VirtualBox
    What version of Java are you using?
    Last edited by wbar2; April 27th, 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I just went through the tutorial again after a clean install, and there was an error, but it has been corrected.

Beans

Does this only work in 32 bit? I am running 64bit Kubuntu and I swear I got it to work just before upgrading to 10.04. Now it says I don't meet minimum system requirements. I just installed Java through the software management utility, do I need to do all these steps? My aboutlugins says the Java plugin is 1.6 could that be the problem?

thanks,
    -Keith

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
    Does this only work in 32 bit? I am running 64bit Kubuntu and I swear I got it to work just before upgrading to 10.04. Now it says I don't meet minimum system requirements. I just installed Java through the software management utility, do I need to do all these steps? My aboutlugins says the Java plugin is 1.6 could that be the problem?

thanks,
    -Keith
    The 32-bit plugin should work for the 64-bit machine, but specific instructions can be found here for installing the 64-bit version: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java.

I'm not exactly sure how the version numbering works for Java. I think the platform has a version number and the plugin has a version number (the 1.6 you mentioned). The repositories in Synaptic may contain a slightly older version of Sun Java. The newest version is Version 6 Update 20, which I have tested to work on USAA.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast