Thread: [SOLVED] Laptop/Notebook questions and observations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Post [SOLVED] Laptop/Notebook questions and observations.

Hello,
    Are the power supply's that come with laptops also power surge protectors? Would they protect the laptop in the event of an electricity surge i.e. in a storm.

I notice that the power supply box states on it that it can become hot. It does indeed heat up. Can these power supply boxes overheat and can laptops become overheated and suffer damaged if they are left on for too long?

Also, although they are called 'laptops'; I read somewhere that they should ONLY be used on a level surface. Therefore wouldn't that mean that they should not be used on your lap? I also read somewhere that if someone used a laptop/notebook on their lap, that the laptop is more prone to over heating.

Please add replies.

Thanks.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Re: Laptop/Notebook questions and observations.

Please, has anyone any thoughts on this thread?
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop/Notebook questions and observations.

You would want to have a surge protector for your laptop. The power bricks/cables do not protect from surges.

As for heat from the power cable, do not worry about it. The power bricks can get pretty hot, but pose no danger to your laptop. That's why they put them outside the laptop.

As for the laptop sitting on your lap, you'd be getting 2nd degree burns before it got hot enough to damage itself. That said, the laptop is not going to get too hot by sitting on your lap...I do it all the time and it's fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    As for the laptop sitting on your lap, you'd be getting 2nd degree burns before it got hot enough to damage itself. That said, the laptop is not going to get too hot by sitting on your lap...I do it all the time and it's fine.
    Right, just dont block the air intakes of the fans, or it will get hot.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans

There is a serious health risk for men though caused by using laptops near your testicles. The excessive heat is not good for your sperm count and given enough exposure could result in impotency.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The bricks are designed to get really hot. To prevent that, I try to avoid running high demanding processes while plugged in.

Physics explains how a laptop could get warmer while on your lap, but the significance of that heat could be minimal. There are some things you could buy (Lapdesk, etc.) to mitigate it a bit.

Hope this helps.
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pseudo-random View Post
    There is a serious health risk for men though caused by using laptops near your testicles. The excessive heat is not good for your sperm count and given enough exposure could result in impotency.
    Some people might not see that as a bad thing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pseudo-random View Post
    I have heard of this too. Be careful!
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Re: Laptop/Notebook questions and observations.

But as ones lap is not level; is this good for laptops to be on an uneven surface(your lap)?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    But as ones lap is not level; is this good for laptops to be on an uneven surface(your lap)?
    You could glue it sideways to a wall and it would be just fine. It doesn't have to be level.