Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

Beans

Unhappy Re: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

With respect to the laptop which was the original subject of this thread, the Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983, my guess is that it includes some new hardware which Unbuntu and some other distros can't handle. Maybe future Linux releases will be able to handle it.

Beans

Re: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

ok so i've been playing around with my shiny paperweight (lol?) for a few weeks now and tonight i actually got ubuntu 9.04 to install while logged into windows. so i thought yes!!! i've done it! but nope still doesnt work. so i tried rebooting and launching ubuntu (you actually get the selection while its booting like its teasing you that it actually may work this time!) and so i went into the boot menu and went to safe mode with graphics annnd it starts, hangs a sec, starts again then boom! crash and goes into an infinite loop:

ACPI Error (psparse_0524): Method Parse / Execution Failed [ \_GPE._L07] Node f6c15f48 AE_NOT_FOUND
    ACPI Error (psparse_0358 ): Method Parse / Execution Failed [RSOF (<- and actually the o has the 2 '' over it)] Namespace lookup failure AE_NOT_FOUND
    ACPI Exception (evgpe_0571): AE_NOT_FOUND while evaluating GPE method [_L07] [20080926]

dunno if this means anything to someone with a whole hell of alot more knowledge than me lol but i'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say THIS may be what's causing the hiccup while trying to install ubuntu onto this @^%@#$ laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The original disc from Thread really sounds like to was BURNED at x24 and was not
    such a good image. Burn one at 8x before you start to burn it will be an option. The slower
    the burn the better chance of a pure image. I Know that is a fact because a am the choir.
    Been there done that.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Actually, I just recently found out that the keyboard and mouse not responding aren't graphics card related but most likely a bug in gnome. See this thread again: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307886 .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CalderCoalson View Post
    Actually, I just recently found out that the keyboard and mouse not responding aren't graphics card related but most likely a bug in gnome. See this thread again: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307886 .
    It doesn't look to me like a Gnome problem. After reading your message I downloaded Kubuntu, used unetbootin to write it to a UBS stick, and booted from that. I ended up in the Kubuntu desktop with a locked mouse.

Colin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Huh... Did you add 'i915.modeset=0' to the boot options?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CalderCoalson View Post
    Huh... Did you add 'i915.modeset=0' to the boot options?
    Yep, did that.

Colin

Beans

Hello,

I've been lurking around this thread for about a month, because I have the same laptop and the same problem. Tonight, I finally fixed my Kubuntu 9.10 install by doing this:

At boot:

Hit 'e' to edit grub, change this line:

ro quiet splash

to look like this:

ro acpi_os_name="Windows 2006 SP1" acpi_osi="Windows 2006 SP1" pci=noacpi hpet=off quiet splash

it now boots up with minimal fuss. Before I was using just acpi=off, I'd get only one core running, stuck at 2ghz. Now, both cores work, and idle at 800mhz, and the temps at the CPU are way down.

To make permanent:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

change this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

to look like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_os_name=\"Windows 2006 SP1\" acpi_osi=\"Windows 2006 SP1\" pci=noacpi hpet=off"

now run:

sudo update-grub

now you have a laptop that works properly. I haven't thoroughly tested every ACPI feature, but I believe it's finally good enough, I'm not going to cry if a few ACPI functions aren't working....

Beans

I have performed the steps outlined in the previous post and everything seems to be working except the touch pad. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

ps, I am using mint 8 instead of ubuntu, but I figured how mint is based off of ubuntu it might work just fine. perhaps I will try with ubuntu instead.

Beans

I found out later that the touchpad doesn't work, and I've found no good way of making it work, despite trying numerous different combinations of boot switches. I hadn't noticed myself, because I always used a USB mouse, and never the touchpad. I did find out that the touchpad apparently isn't getting picked up at boot time, possibly an IRQ assignment type problem, but nothing I tried was able to fix it.

EDIT: I almost forgot, it turns out that hpet=off isn't necessary, I'd omit that part...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast